anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Not photogenic? So what. Personally I enjoy seeing bikes in all their conditions. A shabby looking bike on the road is always cooler then one hiding in the garage Mine certainly is no gem....
    I stand corrected. And since the sky wasn't actively giving up water this morning, I made a quick spin around the area and took the camera. This is at Huguenot Park, near Richmond, VA.

Comment

Went for thirty mile loop in torrential down pour. Made the mistake of trying to fix the starter clutch with an near empty gas tank. Got tired of waiting for sourcing used parts and the bike leaned up against the bench with it's side innards exposed. Surface rust was showing in the saddle of the tank, so figured I go fill it. Had to bump start it, as the starter clutch wasn't happy with the new rollers and old gear. Snatching, like it does. It worked once after filling up but not w/o a bunch of snatching drama and slow turn over. Bike ran well considering how hard it was raining and pods that have caused problems in the past.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Took the 1150 out too, when it was a bit drier.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

[QUOTE=Carter Turk;1954712]Took the 1150 out too, when it was a bit drier./QUOTE]
          A nice looking 1150 you have Mr Turk
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

[QUOTE=dorkburger;1954745]
            Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
            Took the 1150 out too, when it was a bit drier./QUOTE]
            A nice looking 1150 you have Mr Turk
            Thanks, but it's actually pretty ratty, rusted frame, tabs missing on panels, etc. First ride on it since June , when I borrowed the engine for the summer to use in my Kat. See the tank slapper from the PO showing off at Alki in Seattle?

Comment

Sounds similar to mine , which is certainly no gem either, but I love the 1150s. My tank has a giant dent from when a newbie rider (my late uncles ex son in law) t boned it practicing a u turn. I thought that it was parked in a safe spot
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                Thanks, but it's actually pretty ratty, rusted frame, tabs missing on panels, etc. First ride on it since June , when I borrowed the engine for the summer to use in my Kat.
                Question re Kat ... were you riding bike before aftermarket fork brace? Did you REALLY notice any difference after installation? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                  Question re Kat ... were you riding bike before aftermarket fork brace? Did you REALLY notice any difference after installation? cheers
                  I found I did not like the non adjustable forks on the 83. They were too soft for my girth in stock trim. Forks are off an 80 1100ET with preload and damping adjustments on the bottom. There's actually a difference when the knob is turned to 1 of 4 positions. Spindly at what, 37mm, a fork brace does help I do believe. Can't say for sure but the feedback from the front end feels more planted. Owned an RF 900 for a time, and thought my bike handled better, eventhough the forks were 16 years older.

Comment

Back to the original thread. On Oct. 20th and 27th a friend and I did a couple of 300km, (180mi) rides. If anybody is familiar with Vancouver Island, we did the Renfrew Loop, one week we went from Jordan River to Cowichan, and the next week the opposite direction. I don't know what the temperature was, but without a liner and regular socks, I was friggin' cold! There was one point when we dipped into a valley and my mirrors fogged up! I had to wear wool socks to bed that night! I did that ride on my 1100EZ.
                    The following Sunday I was smarter and put the liner in my jacket and wore wool socks. I was still a little chilled when I got home. When the sun was up, it was beautiful, blue sky, and actually warm at some points! We had a late start both days, so it was actually dark when we got home. Due to a leaking fuel line which I had not taken care of the previous week, I commandeered my wife's 850GZ. She had to take the car to work anyhow. I hadn't ridden that bike much, but was very impressed! Yes, it's a big pig, (weighs more dry than my 1100 does wet!), but hauls around the back roads just fine. I'm not going to win any races, but it's a nice comfy bike with a surprising amount of torque.
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                      Back to the original thread. On Oct. 20th and 27th a friend and I did a couple of 300km, (180mi) rides. If anybody is familiar with Vancouver Island, we did the Renfrew Loop, one week we went from Jordan River to Cowichan, and the next week the opposite direction. I don't know what the temperature was, but without a liner and regular socks, I was friggin' cold! There was one point when we dipped into a valley and my mirrors fogged up! I had to wear wool socks to bed that night! I did that ride on my 1100EZ.
                      The following Sunday I was smarter and put the liner in my jacket and wore wool socks. I was still a little chilled when I got home. When the sun was up, it was beautiful, blue sky, and actually warm at some points! We had a late start both days, so it was actually dark when we got home. Due to a leaking fuel line which I had not taken care of the previous week, I commandeered my wife's 850GZ. She had to take the car to work anyhow. I hadn't ridden that bike much, but was very impressed! Yes, it's a big pig, (weighs more dry than my 1100 does wet!), but hauls around the back roads just fine. I'm not going to win any races, but it's a nice comfy bike with a surprising amount of torque.
                      Who the hell are you and why don't I know???
                      No signature

Comment

Rob, Glenn and I got out for our usual Friday afternoon ride and pub stop today. At one point it was 14 (58) and sunny.

In the back ground you will notice rare maple leaf palm trees...

Last edited by trevor; 11-08-2013, 08:53 PM.
                        No signature

Comment

It's a time warp. I wonder how many people see you guys riding as a group and have flash backs to when they were younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland5color View Post
                            It's a time warp. I wonder how many people see you guys riding as a group and have flash backs to when they were younger.
                            We do get our share of "thumbs up" from middle aged guys, that's for sure.
                            No signature

Comment

Trevor, i wasn't sure if you were $hittin us or not a while back when you mentioned the existence of palm trees near you.. (riding game thread, I think) coolness. Thats a fine trio of cycles. Thumbs up worthy for sure...
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

To add, I was 13 when my 1150 rolled out of the factory...No time warp for me. I just dig old simpler machines- with lots of torque
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X