anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    Really glad you are ok Dave but are you gong to keep us in suspense or tell us what happened??
    Oh... yah.
    I left out that detail.

The splines between clutch and transmission stripped out.
    Dealer has pretty much confirmed that, just this afternoon.

On this (and similar) BMW models that is a $3500 repair. Requires removing everything from rear of engine back just to gain access to the clutch area. And replacing the transmission input shaft requires complete disassembly and rebuild of transmission. THis failure is a known problem on the redesigned for 2002 6 speed transmission. And BMW never did anything about it.
    I read a lot about this AFTER I bought the bike, and could yammer on about it more than anyone would likely care to hear.
    So that is why I pretty much figured out that this is what happened about 3 seconds after it happened. But then I figured I had better quit trying to diagnose the mechanical problem ... and deal with the fact that I was just coasting at 75 then 70 then 65mph on a 4 lane interstate in the 3rd lane and needed to work my way over to the right as quick as possible without getting hit. I did have to wait for one car to get past me to move to the 2nd lane then got to 1st lane but by then there was the start of an exit ramp lane and had to deal with a car there (don't recall specifics). On other side of the exit lane was only a lot of room and then a curb.

At this point, I am assuming it is a complete loss.
    But don't really know how it will proceed with the dealer.
    Interesting thing is that before this had happened, I had meet the dealer owner/manager on one occasion. And on a ride I meet one of the head salesman. Both of which recognized me when I came in on the tow truck, and both of which say they will do what they can to help me out.

If you have heard that BMWs are expensive to own and maintain.
    Well, in my case, so many thousand dollars, rode it for so many days, works out to about $900 a day.

Last edited by Redman; 02-18-2015, 12:32 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sorry to hear about your little mishap. Glad you made it off the highway safely without getting hurt. Too bad for your bike. Good luck with the dealer.
      1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
      1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

Yesterday I had to go over to Vancouver for work and this was taken on my ferry ride home. His name is Jonathan..

No signature

Comment

Aye, riding here is gonna start to stink soon. The spring winds and dust are about to start this weekend. Just hate this area in the spring. Whether its riding or not, it's just nasty. Was supposed to ride to Santa Fe to the Roundhouse for Motorcycle awareness day and for the helmet issue. Not gonna make it.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

For you poor guys on the east coast. Warmest winter on record in Washington state...
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              For you poor guys on the east coast. Warmest winter on record in Washington state...
              Yeah, no kidding. Here (BC Interior) last year was normal and we had temps well below freezing with a couple of feet of snow in the yard. This year it hasn't snowed in a long time, the front lawn is bare and we've had a month of temps above freezing. Something is all messed up.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Messed up in a good way!
                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

In rode it 10 ffet into the driveway... HAHA B-King is finally home!

Now I just need a thaw so the roads will melt this crap off... We haven't broken the 30' mark yet this month... 2nd coldest February on record of only 7' average... UGH!
                  LOL OH well can't wipe this smile off my face boys (and girls)
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Did a short 100 miles on the 919, carved a few corners and drug the pegs a couple times.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Quick blast around the bridges after fixing a puncture. How do 2" wood screws manage to penetrate at 90 degrees, it's beyond me. Is it just me or does anyone notice how after a week or so of a break you seem sharper ?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                        Did a short 100 miles on the 919, carved a few corners and drug the pegs a couple times.

V
                        No pictures? It didn't happen. It's in the title.......

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie you know that I don't own a gopro and taking pictures at those speeds is not conducive to good health. It was good to get out and be in the zone.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Great day for a ride in the BC interior again. On my ride I passed this Osprey nest, here in the Shuswap there are Osprey nests everywhere. I'm starting to see more of the birds now. It won't be long and the nests will be occupied.

IBA# 12860
                            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                            1984 KZ1100R
                            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Oh... yah.
                              I left out that detail.

The splines between clutch and transmission stripped out.
                              Dealer has pretty much confirmed that, just this afternoon.

On this (and similar) BMW models that is a $3500 repair. Requires removing everything from rear of engine back just to gain access to the clutch area. And replacing the transmission input shaft requires complete disassembly and rebuild of transmission. THis failure is a known problem on the redesigned for 2002 6 speed transmission. And BMW never did anything about it.

That's truly a shame; you mentioned that possible failure in your first post about that bike. It's odd that when I look at used listings for that bike, many of them have upward of 130,000 miles on them. Maybe the owners are in the habit of disassembling the bike every winter. ?

... and you're on the left coast, away from your workshop, as well. On the plus side, you're in one piece and you still have your GK. Sorry to hear this, Redman. Let us know how this works out.
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Had to service and test ride this immense steaming pile of cr@p today.....

... and this adventurous German later on.

Decent day all in all, and had a fantastic ride home on my old gee-mess!

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X