No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my 850 was clean and shiny today at 1pm now at 4:17 it is dirty and going to stay that way for a while. It was only a 50 mile round trip, but had it all. Started under a sunny sky and rode into heavy rain then hail, it hailed hard enough to cover the road white. Made cornering interesting, then back into rain and sunny sky, then rain again and back into sun.
    The new hub seal doesn't leak so that is good.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
      No argument on the engines they put in the Can Am Spyder. It is a cool vehicle. I'm just not above some good natured ribbing.
      They have Rotax motors mated with the same Tranny off their 4Wheelers. The Rotax is a great engine! I've ridden an Outlander with a 900...Fastest 4 wheeler I've ever ridden. Not too mention the Rotax powered Aprillas make some formidable bikes. Frickin' fast! Sure maybe a 900 would smoke a small displacement GS but won't hold a torch to any liter bike out there and I'd say the GS1100's and 1150's would take them for sure... I've raced a Spyder with my FZ1. Well it really wasn't a race especially when I got into the triple digits. Not a motorcycle in my book. I just hate getting in conversation with these guys who think they are a motorcycles... Nope, Just a fancy ATV made for the road. And yes I refuse to wave at them when I ride by one.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

And Mr Tiller got new tires!

What a difference! Buying tires at cost is just one of the many benefits of working at a motorcycle shop for minimum wage....
        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

"Did anyone go for a ride today?"

I can finally say "YES".

No pictures from the ride itself, but here is the 2015 re-incarnation of "Junior":

Yeah, some of you are saying "why would anyone want to do THAT to a GS?", but I have wondered the same thing about what some of you have done to your bikes. It all comes down to your preferences and the way that you ride.
          This just happens to be MY choice.

We went for a ride of almost 100 miles today, felt good to get the bike off the property for the first time is almost 3 1/2 years.
          The Wing has been ridden, but this was the first time Junior has been out.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I can finally say "YES".

No pictures from the ride itself, but here is the 2015 re-incarnation of "Junior":

Yeah, some of you are saying "why would anyone want to do THAT to a GS?", but I have wondered the same thing about what some of you have done to your bikes. It all comes down to your preferences and the way that you ride.

We went for a ride of almost 100 miles today, felt good to get the bike off the property for the first time is almost 3 1/2 years.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I can finally say "YES".

Aside from the fairing I really like the look of your bike really like those saddlebags and trunk and I never thought about floorboards for them either...hmm off to Google I go...

Oh and is that a Corbin seat?

Comment

Steve, any time you and Mrs. Steve want to come out east again for a few days and detail my GS1000G (decked out with Vetter stuff) just let me know. You know where the guest room is and home cooked meals and coffee will be available. That Aero looks a little funky but how does it compare with the old Vetter Windjammer for effectiveness? And you know I was never a fan of those king/queen bucket seats over the stock 850/1000G seat. Isn't the 4 into 1 header blasphemous for the old 850G? Looks great though.....we'll even do some more NH/VT/ME riding if you make it out here.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2015, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slycox View Post
                  Aside from the fairing I really like the look of your bike really like those saddlebags and trunk and I never thought about floorboards for them either...hmm off to Google I go...

Oh and is that a Corbin seat?
                  The fairing does look a bit 'different' from certain angles, but I think it's a LOT better lookiing that most of the other offerings in the frame-mounted fairing department. I have experienced several different fairings and can say that this one works quite well. Most of them mount rather high, blocking your view immediately in front of the bike. This one does not. In fact, if you zoom in on this picture, you can see that the top of the 'dashboard' is just barely above the speedo and tach:

Floorboards will only work if your riding style can be described as "relaxed". They will also work much better if you have LONG legs and sturdy shins.
                  I may not quite keep up with some of the best riders, but no grass grows under my bike, either. Can't say that I have EVER touched a footpeg to pavement while riding my GS. The only time I have touched one on the Wing was when I hit a dip in the middle of a turn. Yesterday was the first time out on this bike in 3 1/2 years. It also has new tires, new brakes, new suspension front and rear, so I was taking it a bit easier, trying to get a feel for it all. Add in the fact that Mrs. Steve was on the back, I was definitely not trying to find out how easy it would be to scrape a floorboard on the pavement. The "long legs and sturdy shins" part is due to the fact that the boards occupy the space where you normally put your legs when the bike is stopped. The only other place to put your legs is behind the boards, and farther off to the sides. If you have to back the bike up, you WILL bang your shins on the back edge of the boards.

The seat is definitely NOT a Corbin. The tag on the back says "Mustang".

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  Steve, any time you and Mrs. Steve want to come out east again for a few days and detail my GS1000G (decked out with Vetter stuff) just let me know. You know where the guest room is and home cooked meals and coffee will be available. That Aero looks a little funky but how does it compare with the old Vetter Windjammer for effectiveness? And you know I was never a fan of those king/queen bucket seats over the stock 850/1000G seat. Isn't the 4 into 1 header blasphemous for the old 850G? Looks great though.....we'll even do some more NH/VT/ME riding if you make it out here.
                  Yes, Lurch, it does look a bit "funky" from some angles, even "homely" from others, but I like the overall looks a lot better. Effectiveness? It has been a while since I have ridden behind a Vetter, but I think this works better. The Vetter is basically some straight panels that are put together in a wedge shape to push the air out of the way. After the fairing goes through the air, the vacuum that is formed behind it really pulls the air back in, onto the rider and espcially, the passenger. The Aero is all curves, with the side panels (just in front of my knees) going pretty much straight back, allowing air to flow right past you. There are also vents at the base of the windshield that direct air up the back side of the 'shield to relieve some of the vacuum that sucks the air back in. While riding yesterday, I was noticing that there was still a fair amount of breeze that was hitting me, but it was not a direct blast. I think it will be rather comfortable when the weather warms up, which is one of the common complaints about a fairing.

Yes, the stock seat is comfortable, but I have experienced seats that were even MORE comfortable, and they were custom-made double-bucket seats (and VERY expesive). I saw a member advertise this seat and thought I would take a chance on it. Combined with the floorboards, I like it. With stock pegs, probably not so much. The stock seat will allow you to slide around a bit to change your leg angle. This seat locks you in, but the boards allow you to change you leg angle, so it's OK.

The header is "blasphemous"? Only in the fact that it is just a bit louder than stock, and a bit better-sounding. It's also a bit unusual to have a header on a dresser. I would still like to know who made it. We got it with my son's '81 850 several years ago. When we sold that bike, I swapped pipes with him and sent the patched pipes from "Junior" with his bike to the new owner. Had the header pipes and collector ceramic coated, I think it cleaned up well enough to go along with the stock chrome muffler.

It may be a while before we get back to New England, but we will let you know when it happens. If you and Mrs. Lurch ever happen by this way, we have a guest room and coffee, too.

Last edited by Steve; 04-13-2015, 01:30 PM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

Nice 83 GS850GK.
                    And I see your auxiliary garage is progressing well.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Had a 5 hour adventure yesterday.
                      Departed when 38 degrees, 50 upon return.

Muskegon, then up to Whitehall and further north. Just following the front fender.

And back to Grand Haven.
                      Lake Michigan shore clear of ice, just since last week. Storms this week probably knocked it loose.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I finally got the pictures off my broken camera, which finally fixed itself. So here is the pictures from a ride a couple weeks ago.

On Scapoose Vernonia road

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

On the way home, St John's bridge in the background.

[/URL]
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Sibillini's Mountains

Fine weather today

The Sibillini's Mountains

The Sibillini's are home to the homonymous wolf

The Castelluccio's Plateau

Some medieval walls

The Marmore's Falls

and in between, many a Km of twisties....
                          Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-12-2015, 03:42 PM.
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

Lorenzo, thank for the beautiful shots. The GS in the archway is awesome.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Lorenzo, just WOW
                              You get to ride a GS with that scenery!!
                              Super cool!

I did take my trusty 1150 out for the first time today fired right up! I LOVE MY GS!
                              But alas... no scenery like that. I suppose the women are all beautiful and the men are all handsome there too.

Comment

@ Joe H

Hope you did enjoy your ride too.

I am shure you've got some beautiful scenery down there, so why don't you show us some places.

GS are awesome, at around 60mph / 100Kmh it feels like they could go around the globe and back in an effortless way...
                                Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-12-2015, 07:03 PM.
                                GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
                                X