No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope for your friends sake they heal up well!

Thanks for the share MrBill...
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      A few of us went out for a Saturday lunch ride, didn't turn out like we were expecting. One of our riders went down at a place we call Dead Mans curve and yes it is called for a good reason. They were very lucky, this could have ended up being deadly for sure. As it was, if they had been wearing safety gear, what injuries they did get would have been largely negated. ATGATT people ATGATT.

I too hope they heal up fine and fast. What is with the curve? Were they going too fast for their abilities or just what was it that caused the crash?
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

A few of us went out for a Saturday lunch ride, didn't turn out like we were expecting. One of our riders went down at a place we call Dead Mans curve and yes it is called for a good reason. They were very lucky, this could have ended up being deadly for sure. As it was, if they had been wearing safety gear, what injuries they did get would have been largely negated. ATGATT people ATGATT.

Hey Bill,

That place looks familiar. Did we take a ride up there?

Hope the rider heals up. Agreed...ATGATT.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nope we never rode up that way Ed.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It is a blind S curve that goes up then down. Several have gone down there, a couple have died. It is a 35mph curve and some riders don't expect it being blind like it is. Most drift to the right and catch the edge of the road and well... Here is a pic of it going into it heading north.Dead Man.jpg
            Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-13-2016, 07:29 PM.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nope we never rode up that way Ed.
              Which route did we ride up to with all those curves? It was a great experience with the curves and hills mixed in.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

And here is a pic of the accident site.Spot.jpg As you can see you can't see the other side.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

MrBill, is the curve signposted any as to how sharp it is?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I take that back we did go up that direction when we did Emory pass with Steve that day.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

There is your sign for the curve. sign.jpg
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

And this is the down side of the curve. Down side.jpg
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Geez...really sorry for your friend. Hope they heal up without any long lasting issues. I just don't get it when people ride bikes without the gear. What bike were they riding?
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hope the rider recovers well, but I don't see anything daunting about the curve.
                            Not sure the purpose of post if no explanation will be provided.
                            Was it the lunch, group ride scenario, speed, unattentiveness, target fixation or what?
                            Don't see how ATGATT would have changed the end result.
                            Sure the injuries would have been minimized, but the error lies with the rider.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

This is the explanation...

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              Hope the rider recovers well, but I don't see anything daunting about the curve.
                              Not sure the purpose of post if no explanation will be provided.
                              Was it the lunch, group ride scenario, speed, unattentiveness, target fixation or what?
                              Don't see how ATGATT would have changed the end result.
                              Sure the injuries would have been minimized, but the error lies with the rider.
                              You know the signs--could have been a combination of all. To say, "Not sure the purpose if no explanation provided" rubbed me the wrong way...especially when replies afterwards were positive until your remarks.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                This is the explanation...

You know the signs--could have been a combination of all. To say, "Not sure the purpose if no explanation provided" rubbed me the wrong way...especially when replies afterwards were positive until your remarks.

Ed
                                I'm merely curious what the cause was, none provided.
                                I can't think of anything "positive" after a crash, except to be still there to ponder it.
                                What signs, combinations are we talking about?
                                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X