anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    Trevor, looking at the smile on your face you wouldn't know the bike had any problems.

Can imagine you saying something like
    "I'd rather push a Cooley than ride a (other bike here)"
    Lol...what are you gonna do eh? I wasn't far from home at least...and it sure is good to figure this stuff out here, close to home then on a trip somewhere....
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
      So what is it?

Suzuki GS at Hillbilly Hotdogs by Kerry Bart, on Flickr
      Hmmm. L style, vm carbs, mag wheels, chain drive. 79 GS750L maybe?

Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Yes Bob...beautiful day here as well....I took the Cooley out for the first "good" ride...went up island for a total of 130 miles....found out that I have charging issues....shocking on a GS...lol....I'm thinking it's the reg/rec....new Rick's stator and new battery....stopped on the way home for a photo op and had to bump start the bike....had to stop for gas...again bump start....then on the highway close to home it died.....luckily I was near a cut off...my wife came and rescued me in my truck....work to do....

Nice ride for a time.
        Last summer I had an ignition issue that caused me to replace the RR and stator that I found to be not charging, eventually I located the problem to an ignition coil that would cut out after getting hot.
        HATE having to tow anything home!
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'm laughing at the thought of you bump starting on a boat ramp. Tell me it isn't so.

Comment

Originally posted by only7bikes View Post
            I'm laughing at the thought of you bump starting on a boat ramp. Tell me it isn't so.
            Lol...I'm not going to lie to you...the thought did cross my mind for minute..
            No signature

Comment

My wife and I set out this afternoon on the GS for Madrid, NM. This is the little town where Wild Hogs was filmed a few years back. It was about two hours on the road and 80 miles round trip.

When we left Albuquerque it was sunny and close to 50° F but climbing in elevation and going to the shaded side of the mountains that changed pretty quickly. We had a great dinner at the Mine Shaft Tavern, but didn't take any pics of the place, sorry! After finishing my chili and a cup of hot coffee, we set out to get back home. Uh oh, now the sun is gone and we're pretty chilled! She is such a trooper and enjoyed the ride as much as I did.

We had a great laugh while riding. Her hands were cold so I sat on them to warm them up. My bum got really cold then though, lol.

Home safely and now we have great memories of that ride. Last time we went there was on the KLR 650. We had a flat tire at the tavern and had to call for a ride back to town.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

...I stopped at Hillbilly Hotdogs and was surprised to find an old GS just sitting there. (they have all sorts of junk everywhere at hillbilly hotdogs. Ya kinda hafta see it.) So what is it?

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                Certainly an L. The VIN on the fork said GS1000 and 701720. Maybe 1980?
                Last edited by kerrfunk; 01-29-2017, 10:51 PM.
                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Not only did I go for a ride after church today, I thought to take some pictures! Thankfully I dressed for the ride. It was about 34 degrees and after about 30 miles it started to snow. The ride home was chilly and wet and I made it safely.

There's a lock and dam on the Ohio River south of Gallipolis, has Robert Byrd's name all over it. It was a decent spot to turn around, get a picture or two. Then I stopped at Hillbilly Hotdogs and was surprised to find an old GS just sitting there. (they have all sorts of junk everywhere at hillbilly hotdogs. Ya kinda hafta see it.) So what is it?

at Gallipolis lock and dam by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

at Gallipolis lock and dam by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Two GSes at Hillbilly Hotdogs by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Suzuki GS at Hillbilly Hotdogs by Kerry Bart, on Flickr
                  Not bad day's ride this time of year. Wish I had a chance to do the same. meh…
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Not only did I go for a ride after church today, I thought to take some pictures! Thankfully I dressed for the ride. It was about 34 degrees and after about 30 miles it started to snow. The ride home was chilly and wet and I made it safely.

There's a lock and dam on the Ohio River south of Gallipolis, has Robert Byrd's name all over it. It was a decent spot to turn around, get a picture or two. Then I stopped at Hillbilly Hotdogs and was surprised to find an old GS just sitting there. (they have all sorts of junk everywhere at hillbilly hotdogs. Ya kinda hafta see it.) So what is it?
                    Is that the Hillbilly Hotdogs that was on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives? Home of the HomeWrrrrrrrrreckerrr?
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Kerry,
                      I like your 650. I'll bet those mirrors give a much better view of things than the stock round ones do.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        Is that the Hillbilly Hotdogs that was on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives? Home of the HomeWrrrrrrrrreckerrr?
                        There can be only one! Yes it is. It's seven miles from my door.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        Kerry,
                        I like your 650. I'll bet those mirrors give a much better view of things than the stock round ones do.
                        I've had round and I've had rectangular. I guess I don't know if I have a preference. But thanks!

Comment

Certainly an L. The VIN on the fork said GS1000 and 701720. Maybe 1980?
                          I guessed 79 because of the VM carbs. I think the US GS bikes all went to CV carbs in 1980.
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                            agree.

Other clue to being 78 or 79 (not 80) is the solid brake rotor (not slotted).
                            (or did the 1000s not adopt all these things in 80....?)

Wonder if anybody in the area that might go back there, if someone can show it some respect. Maybe patch up the seat cover some.
                            I have seen other similar bikes on display, seemingly there so others can show their respect (for HD riders to pizz on.)

Last edited by Redman; 01-30-2017, 01:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Wonder if anybody in the area that might go back there, if someone can show it some respect. Maybe patch up the seat cover some.
                              I have seen other similar bikes on display, seemingly there so others can show their respect (for HD riders to pizz on.)
                              That's why I said ya kinda hafta see Hillbilly Hotdogs. The property is literally covered with all manner of junk. License plates, shoes, hats, kitchen utinsels, dolls, signs, tires, cars, seats, buses, bathtubs... this is decoration, not dishonor. In hillbilly fashion.

Comment

Cold rain, freezing rain. Actually a staged picture.ice ride.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X