anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
    Hot diggity I got a new state: Alaska! I rented a V-Strom 650 in Anchorage and took my brother up the Glenn Highway for a five hour ride, 250 miles, to the Matanuska Glacier.

The DL650 is a great bike. I put 10k miles on my 2005 vStrom 650. And now that my daughter lives in Anchorage I will be planning a visit there next spring!

note...if I could ask how much was renting the vStrom? and who...Motoquest?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      I've been exploring new route options into work... Found one that works really well, I'm grabbing a steady 100-130 miles in... I come out to some awesome views of the sun rising over the Green Mountains...

I
      Now that the house is done and paid for and my hunny do list is dwindling I have a feeling August is going to be my biggest month!!! It usually is...
      Excellent pic....a religious experience with the Harley?

I sold my GS850 and it leaves today. If I plan an overnight up to your new place in the next week or so, will you let me ride the TUX for a few hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Roger, I could have used your help up here all summer long. Have not been able to lift up the phone without somebody begging me to come over, or promise to call them when I can!!!!
        It's actually been very steady work for the most part from late Feb. on. Lets just say I wasn't too disappointed when this break came.

I did wind up heading North from Flagstaff, through Tuba city. Waiting out a nasty thunderstorm near Kayenta now, it's lunchtime anyway. I will check out Monument Valley, Four Corners, then grab a room in Farmington.

Bunch of harley guys here too. Speaking french so cant converse much.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

!Oh, this rental was about $150, 24 hrs, unlimited miles.
          Thats doable. Thanks for posting this. Gear included? Can't imagine you packed that stuff on an airplane.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Thats doable. Thanks for posting this. Gear included? Can't imagine you packed that stuff on an airplane.
            I researched the Motoquest web site. A smaller 250cc single CSC
            RX3 ADV is $110 a day. May be all one needs up there for a few days
            of adventure if solo riding and not camping...traveling light. And only 6' and 165lbs of rider. I could pack my full face
            helmet, riding jacket,pants, rain gear, gloves in suitcase and wear my boots on flight up.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Excellent pic....a religious experience with the Harley?

I sold my GS850 and it leaves today. If I plan an overnight up to your new place in the next week or so, will you let me ride the TUX for a few hours?
              Of course! Let me know though, next week We will be in Boston Friday night, I'll be back at the Homestead for most of that weekend. Weekend after that I'm TN bound for 5 days.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Monument Valley was amazing. Rode through thunderstorms to get there but well worth it. Aw man, a must see if you havent yet.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Burque73; 08-05-2017, 07:06 PM.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

The province is on fire and the sky has turned orange! This was taken at about 6pm on my way home from work today:

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Monument Valley was amazing. .............................................. Aw man, a must see if you havent yet.
                    I havent. And looks like I should. And maybe I will next year.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      I researched the Motoquest web site. A smaller 250cc single CSC
                      RX3 ADV is $110 a day. May be all one needs up there for a few days
                      of adventure if solo riding and not camping...traveling light. And only 6' and 165lbs of rider. I could pack my full face
                      helmet, riding jacket,pants, rain gear, gloves in suitcase and wear my boots on flight up.
                      I originally had the 250 rented, and then when my brother asked to join me I went up to the 650. When I made my rental arrangement, I asked about gear. I was told they have a lot of gear for loaning, including jackets and helmets and pants and gloves and boots, you just had to find gear that fit. For people who wanted to go on longer trips, they told me that folks would mail their own gear ahead of time.
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

...............................I rented a V-Strom 650 in Anchorage and took my brother up the Glenn Highway for a five hour ride,....

Great idea. Do tell more of the story of how this all came about.

I like this picture. It shows you guys, and the bike, and the scenery, and the road ... the picture supports each of those aspects of the story.
                        A picture that has 3 of those is good, but you got all four.
                        (That is the road off in the distance, I think.)

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 08-05-2017, 09:53 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                          The province is on fire and the sky has turned orange! This was taken at about 6pm on my way home from work today:

Love that Van Van!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Had three Kats and two GS' out yesterday morning for the typical Saturday morning Kat ride, 11 wheels in total with perfect weather and great company. I also had the pleasure of back to back rides on two Kats which was awesome.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Great idea. Do tell more of the story of how this all came about.

I like this picture. It shows you guys, and the bike, and the scenery, and the road ... the picture supports each of those aspects of the story.
                              A picture that has 3 of those is good, but you got all four.
                              (That is the road off in the distance, I think.)

Thanks for posting.

Dave
                              That's the Matanuska glacier in the background, stretching horizontally from my brother's helmet.

So the story. My dad collects states he's bicycled in. He turned 75 in December. I was having breakfast with him a couple months ago and he said, "Kerry, I have bicycled at least twenty miles in every state I've been in, and I've been in 49 states, but I just don't think I'll ever get to Alaska."

Well that won't do. I called my brother and said, "We've got to get Dad to Alaska for his fiftieth state."
                              And that's what we did. We pitched the idea to Mom and Dad, and put the plan together: Dad and his three sons, four day trip to Alaska, including renting bicycles.

Long story short (yeah, right) we four rode bicycles on Thursday morning, about 25 miles on a coastal trail around Anchorage. And just as my dad collects states he's bicycled in, I have my list of states I've ridden motorcycle in. I didn't figure Alaska was just going to happen, so I arranged to get a motorcycle for myself for a day. I got a 250 from Motoquest. Then as we got closer to the date my brother (who does not ride) said he'd like to join me, so I upgraded to the 650 ($150 for 24 hrs, unlimited miles, they had loaner gear). The highway from Anchorage to Glennallen is said to be one of the most picturesque highways, period. Glennallen is about 180 miles from Anchorage, though, and we ended up just turning around after about 120 miles.

I've never ridden with my brother, but my wife and my daughter are frequent passengers on my GS650GL -- they each have hundred-mile days with me. Chris now has a 250-mile day, which is my longest ride with a passenger. My personal longest day in the saddle is 700 miles.

Anyway, our weather was fine or better. Sixty degrees, no precipitation on us (though the roads were occasionally still wet from the morning rain). Gentle curves on a river road. And a glacier in the distance. That was satisfying.

We took a harbor cruise and saw many more glaciers, closer up, but this thread is the bike pics
                              Last edited by kerrfunk; 08-05-2017, 06:06 PM.
                              "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

That's the Matanuska glacier in the background, stretching horizontally from my brother's helmet.

So the story. My dad collects states he's bicycled in. He turned 75 in December. I was having breakfast with him a couple months ago and he said, "Kerry, I have bicycled at least twenty miles in every state I've been in, and I've been in 49 states, but I just don't think I'll ever get to Alaska."

Well that won't do. I called my brother and said, "We've got to get Dad to Alaska for his fiftieth state."
                                And that's what we did. We pitched the idea to Mom and Dad, and put the plan together: Dad and his three sons, four day trip to Alaska, including renting bicycles.

Long story short (yeah, right) we four rode bicycles on Thursday morning, about 25 miles on a coastal trail around Anchorage. And just as my dad collects states he's bicycled in, I have my list of states I've ridden motorcycle in. I didn't figure Alaska was just going to happen, so I arranged to get a motorcycle for myself for a day. I got a 250 from Motoquest. Then as we got closer to the date my brother (who does not ride) said he'd like to join me, so I upgraded to the 650 ($150 for 24 hrs, unlimited miles, they had loaner gear). The highway from Anchorage to Glennallen is said to be one of the most picturesque highways, period. Glennallen is about 180 miles from Anchorage, though, and we ended up just turning around after about 120 miles.

I've never ridden with my brother, but my wife and my daughter are frequent passengers on my GS650GL -- they each have hundred-mile days with me. Chris now has a 250-mile day, which is my longest ride with a passenger. My personal longest day in the saddle is 700 miles.

Anyway, our weather was fine or better. Sixty degrees, no precipitation on us (though the roads were occasionally still wet from the morning rain). Gentle curves on a river road. And a glacier in the distance. That was satisfying.

We took a harbor cruise and saw many more glaciers, closer up, but this thread is the bike pics
                                That is a fantastic story and I'm very jealous of the relationship you have with your brother. My hat's off to you
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X