No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning started off like all others in that I had to get two kids off to work while Charmayne ran off to take care of her client (she's a Certified Nursing Assistant since late June); but, then it got busy. We moved Lou and my wife's mustang she recently bought from the barn we moved into not two weeks ago and over to a new one. This after some significant differences of opinion between the barn owner and us. Once that was completed and lunch had, I decided I needed to get out for an iron horse ride too .

Charmayne and I already have a Cardo Smartpack Bluetooth system between us but I felt it would have been a good idea to buy a CB to maintain communications with Steve and Bonita during the Brown County ride. Although the radio worked great, I had problems with the Bluetooth adapter returning main control back to my connection with Charmayne when I wasn't talking on the CB so I never used it. I haven't had a lot of time since getting my bike operational again to make the run back up to Sierra Electronics in Troy until today so on went the gear. The 55 mile ride up there and short ten minutes I spent up there resulted in the guy giving some good tips to try once Charmayne and I can get out for a ride again. However, I didn't really want to head home the same way I went so I took the long way home through Xenia. The ride was nice and traffic was sparse but still eventful. A couple of good long sections of road had fresh loose gravel amidst the construction signs that definitely played tricks with me especially through one particular twisty section. Of course, there is also nothing better than coming out of a curve and suddenly be staring down a young doe. Fortunately she ran back into the woods and I continued home to finish out a nice 140 mile day

A stop between Fairborn and Xenia

Ride to Troy by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

After Utah's Monument Valley yesterday, I headed over to see the exact point where the borders of all four states come together.

Not sure why I was drawn there, it's just a concrete slab. Neat if your a surveyer I suppose, but I'm not, so down the road I went. It was cool passing through four states in such a short stretch. On to Flora Vista to visit my uncle who's about 18 years into a battle with Parkinson's for the night. It was nice to visit and catch up on things.
      Woke up this morning to more rain and noticed the oil level getting low so off to wally world for a quart of rotella. A very nice ride back to Albuquerque from there. In all 875 mile trip with no issues.
      Attached Files
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
        We have had a beautiful time. Epic. The purpose of our trip was to "collect" my Dad's fiftieth state and for him to get his fiftieth state riding bicycle in as well! I now have thirteen states on motorcycle.

The V-Strom 650 was fine, but I miss my GS650GL. The VS was topheavy. I think I figured out that the fuel injection made the throttle very sensitive, which was not to my liking, but you'd get used to it. Also there's a toggle switch that toggles the display for odometer, Trip 1, Trip 2, and gas mileage. The toggle switch got toggled accidentally every time I pulled the clutch in all the way (design flaw), and sometimes when I reset the turn signal too. Sometimes the display told me the time, sometimes the temp. I didn't know how to select that.

My brother had a fine viewing position and he had grab handles too. It was bulky for him to mount the bike with me on it and the sidebags. We rode for 5-6 hours, so he was up there a long time. I was able to get 195 miles on the tank, with two grown men riding highway speeds.

I look forward to my 650GL and to collecting more states! Oh, this rental was about $150, 24 hrs, unlimited miles.
        Just reread this and wanted to mention something. When we ride together (with the side stand down and me standing close by) my passenger climbs on first and scoots back, then I hop on.
        Last edited by Burque73; 08-05-2017, 07:33 PM.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Just reread this and wanted to mention something. When we ride together (with the side stand down and me standing close by) my passenger climbs on first and scoots back, then I hop on.
          We tried it both ways. Me mounting first is the way I ride with my wife and daughter, and since Chris doesn't drive motorcycle he was uncomfortable mounting solo anyway.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I always go hang out at my mechanic's shop on Saturday. I have been trying to rotate what bike I take to keep them both running right. I stopped at a convenience store to get my weekly Mountain Dew, when a guy pulled up behind me in a Bentley GT convertible. He started giving me all sorts of praise about the bike (Suzuki, this time.) I'm really surprised by this. Not that the bike doesn't look nice, but that people don't clump them in with all the crotch rockets out there.

It looked like this:

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Went out with the wife along Apache Trail to Saguaro Lake. Stopped to take some pix at canyon lake. Bike ran awesome but I forgot those skinny front legs on the Suzuki get to bouncing over rough roads. Still an awesome ride on some winding road in the early cool morning with some beautiful desert vistas. Some of those saguaro are two story tall easy.

The wife says this is her favorite bike of the many we have owned over the years.

Comment

Boriqua, I'm not sure how I missed it, but your bike looks great.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Boriqua, I'm not sure how I missed it, but your bike looks great.
                  Thanks!! I am in negotiations to remove the sissy bar because I hate the look of sissy bars but I think I will have to acquiesce and be happy that my significant other loves to go out riding and not only doesn't have a problem with my need to be on two wheels but encourages it. I wouldn't have gotten this one or poured so much time into making it road worthy had she not said after visiting it .. I think we should get it!! ... when I said .. I think its going to be a lot of work!!

Got it towed home and .. yea .. she was right! Its freagin cool and people stop me at lights to tell me about their memories of similar bikes.

and I was right .. it was a bit of work but the forum was an invaluable resource.

I guess if a woman in her 60's cant wait for the next motorbike ride and wants to keep the damn sissy bar .. I should keep my mouth shut and motor on.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I was out for a ride today. I decided to stop at the Iron Bridge Inn for something to eat. As I was pulling in the parking lot, I noticed a older gentleman watching me. As I was taking off my helmet he walked over to talk to me. Before I could say anything he says. "1979 GS1000 chain drive. The muscle car of motorcycles." He goes on saying how he use to have one years ago. He was very impressed with the condition of my motorcycle. Then he tells me that I handle the motorcycle well. I think it's fun meeting people while riding my old GS☺
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                      when a guy pulled up behind me in a Bentley GT convertible.

It looked like this:

Great looking car; it reminded me of this one that I got behind for a little while yesterday - The Tesla Model X SUV

Teslasuv.jpg
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Cowboy is that one of those truck lite 27270c on your bike, how do like it

Comment

Originally posted by jjbmxer View Post
                          Cowboy is that one of those truck lite 27270c on your bike, how do like it
                          Yes. I used to cringe anytime I would have to ride at night; the first night ride I took last year after I installed it left a huge ear to ear grin on my face. Well worth the money I spent

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Four days and no pictures. Sad times, these are.

I don't have a picture today either, but I rode my 650 for the first time in twelve days, and oh was it nice to be back in my saddle again, even if only for a 5-mile round trip. Granted, I did have a 250-mile ride a week ago on a renter, but I do like my bike.

Maybe more miles tonight or tomorrow!
                            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

In search of new ponds to launch the canoe or kayak at, I took out the "new" GS850G for a ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

A new one?
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X