No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent my mid-upper 20's and early 30's riding with a very select group of people that all worked together at a Honda dealership. We toured, raced, and rode in a synchronized "pack". I loved riding with that group of about 8. We knew each other so well and knew how to ride really well together, anticipating each others moves and riding techniques. That ceased when everyone pretty much went their own way back in the mid-80's I spent the next 20+ years basically riding by myself, thinking that kind of riding style was over. I recently met a couple of young guys here in the Sandpoint area that ride modern sport bikes. An '04 R1 Yamaha, and a 2014 600 Yamaha. I've gone on a couple of rides with them over the last couple of weekends, and they have been a pleasure to ride with. They ride fast, but not stupid. Both are married with young children and are very responsible. Boy, talk about feeling like an old guy, though. They are in their early 30's and I'm 62. My GS1000S looks like a dinosaur next to their swoofty sport bikes, which blow the Suzuki in the weeds. They wheelie with abandon, throw those things into corners, and they both ride well. I manage to still hold my own with them, though, and stay with them for the most part (even though they're undoubtedly holding back a bit for their senior riding companion) They remind me..of me..and the group I used to ride with. It has brought me a sense of remembrance, and a sense of the never-ending pace of getting older. But it's been fun to ride with someone other then by myself, and they look at the GS in silent awe that a bike that old, ridden by a guy even older, can still straighten out a curve or two. Time to go clean my face shield..they'll be waiting for me to go riding again this afternoon.
    Last edited by nvr2old; 10-29-2017, 02:49 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

That's awesome Larry! That's somewhat what it's like with our regular Saturday morning Kat crew here, we're all into that "mature" part of life so we tend to know when to have fun and when to pull our heads in, and mostly we're on older GS(X)'s. We all ride a similar pace (well as much as the 450 can keep up) and have a similar attitude, and those that don't want to ride that pace know to ride their own so we don't have those pressured issues that crop up either.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Another fine Fall ride. Sunny mid 50's. Should've taken my camera. Don't have a smart phone which comes at great humor to the young guys who also sport tiny helmet mount cameras..haha. Another rider added to the group, also early 30's with small kids. Maybe the best rider, lots of track time on a late model Honda CBR1000RR. Very cool bike..will do almost 100mph in first gear..holy s--t! He thought the GS was cool. Had lots of questions. Fun stuff, glad they let me come along. At that age I would've said no way to the thought of a 62 yr. old geezer trying to keep up. We were a bit snobbish, and a bit arrogant back then. It's been a fun couple of weeks. I'll remember to take some pics if we get another chance.
        Last edited by nvr2old; 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Larry, sounds like you’re having a good time. Enjoy. I’m still young ish at 45, but this year especially, I’ve had an acute sense of time passing.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Cold and rainy all week. Sunday afternoon 45 degresF and had not rained in a couple hours.... so out for a ride.

Was short, but good. Looks rainy next few days.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              I rode past my son's high school and the hospital he and his class goes to for a taste of field experience. Time sure has a way of sneaking by... my son... high school....another summer gone..... yikes..
              ....... I actually felt like a young man for a bit.
              Dude, my oldest grandson is almost in high school and I'm a year younger than you!

Hope things get smoother for you on the home front.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                Dude, my oldest grandson is almost in high school and I'm a year younger than you!

Hope things get smoother for you on the home front.
                Aaaah, yeah... I frigged off for most of my 20s. I worked hard to play...old cars, bikes, snowboarding, hanging out, etc.... my older son was born when I was 30.

Funny, while riding home last night, I was thinking about the beautiful pics you've been posting recently and thought damn, Roger is a year younger then me and has all of this time to ride...
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Sounds like you had a good experience. Thanks for posting.

Need a photo (so then I do not have to admit to not knowing what a Honda F2 is.)

Sorry no photos yet, it's rather hideous to look at anyways.
                  It's merely a Honda 600 from the early 90's that Miguel Duhamel won numerous 600cc AMA titles on with the "Smokin Joes" team.
                  Water cooled inline 4 with downdraft carbs and about 85 HP at the rear wheel. 450lbs. wet.
                  Not something I ever thought I would own, or ever wanted, just came up for sale on craiglist, so I gave it go.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Carter, I assume a single bill is a one owner bike?
                    No, $100 bill.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                      I spent my mid-upper 20's and early 30's riding with a very select group of people that all worked together at a Honda dealership. We toured, raced, and rode in a synchronized "pack". I loved riding with that group of about 8. We knew each other so well and knew how to ride really well together, anticipating each others moves and riding techniques. That ceased when everyone pretty much went their own way back in the mid-80's I spent the next 20+ years basically riding by myself, thinking that kind of riding style was over. I recently met a couple of young guys here in the Sandpoint area that ride modern sport bikes. An '04 R1 Yamaha, and a 2014 600 Yamaha. I've gone on a couple of rides with them over the last couple of weekends, and they have been a pleasure to ride with. They ride fast, but not stupid. Both are married with young children and are very responsible. Boy, talk about feeling like an old guy, though. They are in their early 30's and I'm 62. My GS1000S looks like a dinosaur next to their swoofty sport bikes, which blow the Suzuki in the weeds. They wheelie with abandon, throw those things into corners, and they both ride well. I manage to still hold my own with them, though, and stay with them for the most part (even though they're undoubtedly holding back a bit for their senior riding companion) They remind me..of me..and the group I used to ride with. It has brought me a sense of remembrance, and a sense of the never-ending pace of getting older. But it's been fun to ride with someone other then by myself, and they look at the GS in silent awe that a bike that old, ridden by a guy even older, can still straighten out a curve or two. Time to go clean my face shield..they'll be waiting for me to go riding again this afternoon.
                      Enjoyed that story, eventhough I'm usually riding by myself. Schedule conflicts, family obligations, etc, seem to eliminate any chance to ride with others and actually that's fine.

Never been a fan of bigger group rides, always seems to take too long to actually ride and then once riding many stops ensue. Had a few exceptions riding "with" GS rallies, but never actually done a whole rally, apparently. Riding is dangerous, it's almost a given when others are around, the pace quickens and more risks are taken. Sometimes a moment to ride just happens, when time allows, with or without others, so just go, get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by carter turk View Post
                        no, $100 bill.
                        ...... Nice!
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Got a nice break in the weather Saturday, so I made the most of it. Here is a pic from Hwy 9 some here may recognize.

1983 GS1100E project

Comment

Couldn't get a taxi this morning so I was forced to ride the Bus.

Graveyard. Because: Hallowe'en.

I'm not saying that it was aliens... but it was aliens.
                            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Wow, cool looking spaceship! It almost looks like a motorcycle! ☺
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Dave..... those are great shots! I'm jealous.

Comment

Working...
                                X