anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    .......... I would wear at least 4-5 thin layers beneath my riding jacket. Also, I would wear thermal underpants under my jeans a......
    Insullation, is one concern.
    Wind blocking, so dont have air seeping in/thru the material is another thing (and jeans and thermal underwear is about nothing).
    Wind sealing, so dont have air leaking in, say, up pant leg, or down collar, displacing the warmer air inside, is yet another thing.
    And when reach the limit of all that.... then need to add more BTUs than what your body can produce.... heated gear.
    I figured that heated gloves is the best useage of the least wattage (24 watts total if at full power, setting of 5 on the controller. Was at 2 and 3 most of the ride today.)

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
    Dave.... you're tougher and/or crazier than I am. .....
    Yesterday, I learned something about black ice in MI; .........
    My wife has opinion of that distinction between; tough or crasy.
    I say is more a matter of being reasonable and practical .... although when dealing with something that passionate about, what seem like reasons and practical ideas are really just excuses.
    THink of this: When an alcoholic says he is thirsty, what does that really mean....
    I wanted to go for a ride, did not want to go for more than a few weeks without going for a ride....

Actaully, I prefere upper 20s, rather than mid-upper 30s, when is snow banks on side of road.
    And needs to be 20s when roads are clear, like had been some sunny or warmern days since last snow fall so roads clear. That way the roads look clear and easyier to see if any remaining ice patch (found some in a less traveld park today) or any area that looks wet might be ice or black ice since know it cant be wett.
    If mid 30s then snow banks melting and water (salty water) could be across road, and also cant tell wet from icy.
    Last edited by Redman; 12-20-2017, 11:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No riding here in Winterpeg. -30 Celsius for our X-mas and New Years. Yea another Polar Vortex. Merry X-mas everyone. Global warming???
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Went for a mountain blast

15' to 20' F (-10' to -7' C). Roads were not the best but clear and it ended up working out, I caught some stellar views today.

The Green Mountains really sing a different tune in the winter....

Route 73 in Whiting.

Route 73, Brandon Gap.

Great day for it... Cold, heated gear is a necessity but damn good day to blast.

Fizzy loves the cold... Always wants to play that little Fazer.

Route 125, Middlebury Gap (Ripton/Hancock).

Merry Christmas!!! I got what I wanted this year!!!
        Last edited by Jedz123; 12-21-2017, 10:00 PM.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

How beautiful Jedz! That is simply majestic looking background!

Merry Christmas!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I drove my car with the roof down today... does that count as a ride?
            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
              I drove my car with the roof down today... does that count as a ride?
              Pi$$ off. Had another 14" of snow. Got home at 11:00 pm and the snow plow plowed us out, not in, and spent 1/2 hour shoveling at -10 to get the damn the vehicle in the garage and you're driving around with the top down. LOL Skiing is going to be great tomorrow. Yay!
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                ... Cold, heated gear is a necessity ..........
                .!!!
                Geepers.
                15-20 degreesF... 70 miles... small fairing.

You must have every possible piece of heated gear. Gloves, jacket (not just vest), pants, boot/socks. Like 200 watts or something. And something for neck.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just gloves
                  If I didn't have them I wouldn't be able to ride long.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 12-22-2017, 09:11 AM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Just gloves
                    If I didn't have them I wouldn't be able to ride long.
                    That's a decent size fairing. I would imagine your lower half would need extra layers. I rode with leather chaps I bought off MrBill and they worked great with thermals & jeans. Heated gloves are definitely a "must"! Thanks for sharing your rides with photos.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Went for a mountain blast

15' to 20' F (-10' to -7' C). Roads were not the best but clear and it ended up working out, I caught some stellar views today.

The Green Mountains really sing a different tune in the winter....

Route 73 in Whiting.

Route 73, Brandon Gap.

Great day for it... Cold, heated gear is a necessity but damn good day to blast.

Fizzy loves the cold... Always wants to play that little Fazer.

Route 125, Middlebury Gap (Ripton/Hancock).

Merry Christmas!!! I got what I wanted this year!!!
                      Man those roads look dangerous! Cold can be tolerated but the chance of hitting a patch of ice in the shadows for me would be a big turn off. Be careful Jedz, as if you don't hear that from your family. I'm sure you are very careful and make good judgement calls, just sayin!
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        That's a decent size fairing. I would imagine your lower half would need extra layers. I rode with leather chaps I bought off MrBill and they worked great with thermals & jeans. Heated gloves are definitely a "must"! Thanks for sharing your rides with photos.

Ed
                        Layers are critical. I usually wear a hoodie, my North face and a snowmobile jacket. I wear fleece PJ bottoms with insulated jeans and my snowboard pants. Ski mask and my HJC Symax 3 modular. The venture plus heated battery powered gloves are warm by themselves.

Riding in the cold is very doable. Hell people go snowmobiling all the time... Usually in colder temps.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          Man those roads look dangerous! Cold can be tolerated but the chance of hitting a patch of ice in the shadows for me would be a big turn off. Be careful Jedz, as if you don't hear that from your family. I'm sure you are very careful and make good judgement calls, just sayin!
                          I ride year round... The way you ride in the "regular season" is very different then the way you ride in the "off season".

Roads are fine, yes black ice is out and about but I spot it pretty easily still. Yesterday the cold weather kept the banks from melting then freezing. I go cautiously slow into blind turns. I did hit some ice but your make a straight away and keep your hand off the front brake and your fine. Lot and lots of Engine braking.

Everyone says riding is dangerous, riding in the cold could be seen as " more dangerous". My mind set is Riding presents challenges and riding in the cold is presents new and different challenges. Over come them and you feel fulfilled and satisfied.

I am a motorcyclist first and foremost; extreme heat, rain, snow, ice or shine. I'm out and riding because it is who I am... "Dangerous" or not I can't deny the calling on what makes me feel whole
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I am going out today for an 80 mile round trip. When I head out it will be 45f only going up to around 60. I have already dug out my leather jacket, put in the liner, found my sweater, located my gloves and my heavy wool socks and boots. I think I have become a bit less manly since coming to AZ!!

Comment

I ride year round... The way you ride in the "regular season" is very different then the way you ride in the "off season".

Roads are fine, yes black ice is out and about but I spot it pretty easily still. Yesterday the cold weather kept the banks from melting then freezing. I go cautiously slow into blind turns. I did hit some ice but your make a straight away and keep your hand off the front brake and your fine. Lot and lots of Engine braking.

Everyone says riding is dangerous, riding in the cold could be seen as " more dangerous". My mind set is Riding presents challenges and riding in the cold is presents new and different challenges. Over come them and you feel fulfilled and satisfied.

I am a motorcyclist first and foremost; extreme heat, rain, snow, ice or shine. I'm out and riding because it is who I am... "Dangerous" or not I can't deny the calling on what makes me feel whole
                              I respect that and appreciate you sharing your passion with this forum.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

So I dont have pix but I did go riding today and WOW. I landed up doing 120+miles. That is the longest I have ridden the bike since I got it running. Mostly because I was a little afraid it might not get me out and back. I decided today if it left me it was getting sold off.

It was everything I remember and more. Except for being a little wind blown because it was damn cold out NOTHING hurt. I have had many bikes since my old GS in '77 and some put my feet out in front of me to look so cool and in 40 miles my tailbone would be screaming. Others had me leaning forward and in 40 miles I would have to switch hands I had on the bars. Some sat me just right but just didnt have the smoothness at AZ highway speed to make me comfortable as they screamed seemingly in agony.

Today my little 750 happily cruised at about 4200rpm at about 70mph and when I pushed it a little more to keep up with traffic at about 77ish it purred at around 5000 and was steady, no vibration and just loving life. Plenty of passing power. At 65 it was just sublime. The engine and stock exhaust sounded AWESOME!

It wasn't tossed around by passing trucks and I got off and all of my extremities still had feeling. What an outstanding bike and with my new shocks .. oh heaven. I am now glad I didnt go new and beat at it until I got it to work. Still probably the best bike I have ever owned and I have now owned it twice.

Man oh man it was just a wonderful day riding. Now I trust her to take me anywhere so .. I think Tuscon is coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X