No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a great turnout for the regular Katana Australia Saturday morning ride yesterday as we had one of the guys from Western Australia come for a visit... yep he's ridden his Kat over across the Nulabor and made some visits and stops along the way. Seriously huge effort to come say g'day!

8 Kats, 3 GS', and a stray Honda for the morning.

Some slightly damp roads and cloudy weather, but no rain so it was quite an enjoyable morning's ride out and chin wag.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Halfway up San Gabriel Canyon in the foothills north of LA:

Comment

This is really more of a "multi - day" ride but I didn't feel the need to create a whole new thread. I took yesterday off work and went for a weekend trip Saturday through Monday. Started off in Boston and went all the way across MA and then north up Rt 7 up to Burlington Vt where I stayed at a hostel. I met a Canadian man and his daughter who had ridden their bicycles from Montreal and ended up having dinner with them which was pretty cool. While we were eating, I saw somebody that I had gone to school but hadn't seen in a few years. She was passing through with her parents on the way back from a family reunion in Canada and we ended up having a couple beers and catching up a little bit. Overall a fun night for showing up in a city with no plans haha.

The next morning I headed north towards Canada on Rt 2. From there I headed south on Rt 3 and stopped in Lake Placcid to check it out. After leaving, I eneded up running into this guy that I had also seen in Lake placid on a (BMW) GS1200 who had been at Americade with his dad. His dad's Harley had broken down (lol) and so he was on his own. We talked for a bit and ended up doing a bit of riding/exploring together. There's an abandoned mining town called Tahawus that I have been wanting to find for a while and we found the little turn off of 28 that led us to it. Radu and I had an awesome time exploring the area and checking out the sites.

Almost in Canada:

Lake Placcid - I didn't know it at the time but Radu's in the back getting his GS1200 ready:

Some exploring around Tahawus:

Apparently Roosevelt was in this house when he found out that McKinley was dying

After Radu and I split off, I headed south on NY 30. The roads in the Adirondacks are great and the whole are is beautiful and mostly car-free. I camped on the edge of this area where two rivers meet which was pretty great. The light was good when I pulled in so I took some cool pictures of my bike, too.

Camping set up:

Had dinner on a rock in the middle of the river:

At some point that day my seat lock had stopped working so I couldn't get access the charger under my seat so my phone totally died. It didn't really make a difference since I have a dumb phone and don't use GPS anyway haha.

I woke up around 8 on Monday and was on the road by 9 to head home. My oil pressure light was flickering when I started the bike which had me a little worried. Once out of the Adirondacks, I was a little more in civilization but there are were still some good roads. It took me a couple of stops to find some Shell Rotella oil and when I did, the bike took 1.5 Quarts to top off! eek! I had suspected the engine was slightly louder than usual and the oil top off seemed to make it happy.

Back in MA:

Overall I did about 750-800 miles and had a pretty nice improptu trip. I got to test out the Hagons I recently put on - I'm really happy with them - as well as the dyna coils I just installed. The GS750 is running awesome! I would take it across the country again in a heartbeat, although I need a new rear tire:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Great post, Sam.
          You kids today and your fancy sleeping equipment.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pic's!

Sam: 1.5 quarts of oil for about 750 miles?
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
              Thanks for sharing the pic's!

Sam: 1.5 quarts of oil for about 750 miles?

No - I did about 250 miles on that last day to get home, at the beginning of which is when I noticed the oil light flashing and then topped it off. I had changed the oil/filter at the end of last year and can't actually remember checking since then to see the level. It could just be that it's been low for a while and I didn't catch it until the oil light came on...oops. It's been running fine since then and I have faith in these old things! Obviously I should have checked before I set off but it's not the case that I burned 1.5 quarts in 750 miles.
              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
              1977 GS550
              1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

pete, you swapped your fender back-to-front? ??

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  pete, you swapped your fender back-to-front? ??
                  Nah it's always been like that, it's a trimmed down dirt bike plastic one, had to trim the back to clear the header.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

My wife and I rode about 60 miles today. 30 miles of one long gently twisting road, plus visiting a friend in the hospital and then eating at a BBQ place.

At one point I had to slow down for a family of cranes (maybe heron?) crossing the road. That was new for me.
                    We also saw sheep and goats, as well as the usual cows. Couple deer, but we almost always see them.
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

And we got thirty miles in on Sunday night.
                      Stupid weather prediction said 11% chance of rain at 7pm (when we left), and 4% chance at 8pm.
                      Of course the sky was blue in one direction and green in the other direction.
                      And there was a good clap of thunder when we shut the garage door, but roll on we did.

Got about four miles and there were a few raindrops so we pulled into a gas station. Waited ten or fifteen minutes there during a downpour, then selected a different route away from the thunderstorm that wasn't on the weather forecast. We ended up riding about two miles in a light steady rain, and then 25 miles of clear.

Anyway, I took a picture this time. There's my wife, pulling up a weather radar map. See the sunny and the rain?
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Went for about a 100 mile ride yesterday (Sunday) morning before it got hot (yes, Michigan does get hot occasionally. It hit 95 later in the afternoon). That's the longest I've ridden in many years. Used Google maps to create a route and uploaded it to my tablet. The route is north and west of Ann Arbor - land of many small lakes.

DSC_5185 PS1_s by Billy Joe, on Flickr

DSC_5186 PS1_s by Billy Joe, on Flickr

DSC_5192 PS1_s by Billy Joe, on Flickr
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Since Andy, another local member, got his 750 running we went on a couple of rides. I haven't had much computer time lately as this was over a week ago.

We went around the Sandia Mountains to Madrid stopping at the local tavern. We had a tight schedule so just stopped for a pic, which my wife took. He had just reassembled his 750 and got it running. Congrats Andy. I'm happy for you.

We got together a few days later and climbed up the twisty road to the crest. Nearing 11k feet in elevation it was actually pretty chilly up there. Andy on his 750 and his buddy on a nice newer Gold Wing lost me in the twisty roads! I mean they were gone! I gave up trying to keep up and just enjoyed the ride. We eventually met at the end of the road and watched a really nice sunset.

This was my son and I on Father's day. We were tinkering with his old Kawasaki F7, which isn't running yet, and my neighbor offered for us to borrow a tiny dirt bike for my boy to ride. We went South of Albuquerque to Montessa Park which is a popular spot for dirt play...

I held in there as long as I could climbing hills and running through arroyos but this heavy pig kept needing to be dug out. we spent several hours just playing around out there and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

60 degF this morning seemed cold after riding near 1000 miles in 4 days in low 90s.

Heavy overcast, but, Naw, aint gonna rain.

Stopped to look at this exhibit at a blueberry farm market store.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Some great pics! Thanks, all you Adventurous Riders.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Rode back to same place this morning, a little earlier in the morning, than yesterday.

For another shot of this scene; Check out the "Pic Of The Week" contest in the Off Topic Campfire. THis week is "Heavy Equipment".

THere is US-31. THis morning saw cops having pulled over car load of people with camping gear strapped on top. Probably folks heading to Electric Forrest Music Festival about 50 miles north of here.
                                Last edited by Redman; 06-21-2018, 07:25 PM. Reason: 3rd picture

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X