No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday I rode up to Campbell River, took the old Island Hwy along the Ocean.. Amazing! Then found a cheap motel and went out for a real nice dinner. Then left in the morning for Gold River on Hwy 28...I have heard that it has been voted best motorcycle road in BC. It is the best I have been on that's for sure! 90kms of scenery, twisty turns and plenty of straight aways. On the way there I didn't come up on a single vehicle on the way back saw a ton of bikes. If any of you ever come here to the Island you have to go to Gold River!! I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWVgItIMt5Y

No signature

Comment

Looks like a great place to go for a ride Trevor.

Eric

Comment

That looks like a fun and scenic ride! I got a kick out of the photo of the gal and son on the leopard painted cruiser. I'm guessing Janice will be very impressed with the protective gear on the kid! Those look like pretty tough sneakers!

Hope the weather was OK for you on the return trip, it was kinda grim here in the Capital City.
        IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I did manage to get out on both bikes briefly before the daily torrential rains started.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I didn't have time to get any pics... but this past Friday, I made a 400-mile round trip from Renton, WA to Benton City, WA to visit my Uncle and my Aunt. My Aunt was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer about 6-weeks ago, and I wanted to go visit. Left Renton at Noon, rode I-90 to Ellensburg, then I-82 to Benton City. Dodged the severe Thunder Storms that were happening over here long enough to get into the 95-degree plus weather over East of the mountains... The 850G was just singing along. Stopped for gas and food and picked up some flowers to take out. Arrived about 4:30pm...

Had a great visit with them, plus my brother and his family and my cousins. They all dispersed around 9:00pm, and I decided I'd go ahead and ride back home. Lots of bugs between there and Ellensburg. Stopped at the Buzz Inn to clean up and have some dinner. Got gas, and headed out again. Arrived back home around 1:15am. Long day, but worth it. A little cold coming over the pass, but my Tourmaster jacket and pants seemed to do their job.

Sadly, I got the news last night (Sunday, July 15), that my lovely Aunt passed away during the day. She was at home, and with family, and I'm very glad to have taken the time to make this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
              ...., and I'm very glad to have taken the time to make this trip.
              Good that you did.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Visiting in-laws in Traverse City over weekend.
                Wife and I took our grandson. Son& DIL rode up.

I got to take his bike (Truimph Tiger 1050) for a sunset ride.
                Here is view from 5 Mile road overlooking East Bay.

Then I went out on the "the peninsula". (What you see in background of photo.)
                Intended to get more pics of the road, but camera batterys went dead.
                He has Bluetooth this and that on the bike.
                Has USB this and that on the bike.
                But does not have an double-A battery dispenser.

Son & DIL

Grandson and his mom (although he was not so sure at first).

Last edited by Redman; 07-16-2012, 09:52 PM. Reason: 2nd spulling revision

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A quick jaunt to The Great River Road

OK, I've been a slacker long enough, so I thought I'd better bring a camera and return with something to contribute...

I had done some rewiring, including a new MOSFET R/R, and decided I needed a little test ride, so I set off for a 360-mile afternoon into northwest Illinois, up to the Galena / Savannah area. Here you can see I haven't buttoned up the side cover.

Between Rockford and the Terrapin Ridge, I stopped by a state park for a quick drink of water.

... then onto Savannah, down Scenic Ridge Road (sorry, no photos of this at present. There's no safe place to stop a bike and shoot anything! It's awe-inspiring, though... and to the Palisades.

... and of course the Great River Road.

I did get caught in a downpour, which is why the pipes look so horrible in all but the first pic. Finally, let me show you how conservative a ride this was. How's this for a summary of restraint?

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                    OK, I've been a slacker long enough, so I thought I'd better bring a camera and return with something to contribute...
                    ... and of course the Great River Road.

RB,

That 1000G looks great in all photos (even whey you say is dirty). Makes me want just call my bike "just an old scratched up dull bike".

Tell more about Illinois Great River Road. I suspect is a reference to Mississippi as the "great" river. And maybe the road that is great, but they really meant the river.

I had a rule-of-thumb that if looking at a map and see a road named River Road, then it is likley to be a good suspect as an interesting road to ride. The later I had to ammend that to include that if it went along the river as opposed to just going to the river. ANd then just this weekend, I had to ammend that rule-of-thumb further yet to include an option of if there is a railroad track between the river and the road.....

Last edited by Redman; 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Wow Mr Barr,great bike.You put some time in that baby!

1978 GS1000C
                      1979 GS1000E
                      1980 GS1000E
                      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Mr. Barr! Where did this ride take place? Looks like a GREAT ride that I might like to take some time...
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

The Great River Road is sort of a generic name for most of the roads that follow the Mississippi, from Minnesota through Wisconsin and along Illinois, Iowa and Missouri, on south.

Here's a rather unflattering description. I think it's probably far more worthwhile from Savannah northward, but it's respectably scenic south to the I-80 slab.

South of that -- well, LoopGaroo recommends Rt. 26 from roughly Starved Rock to around Peoria. I haven't done that stretch yet, but I will soon. I've done the Hannibal, MO area and the bridge at Alton -- pretty impressive at times.

There are tons of web references to the GRR, for each state that abuts or carries the Mississippi. The ride from Chicago to Savannah is at best ho-hum until you reach Rt. 20 beyond Rockford or so, and then it really improves.

What I recommend is Scenic Ridge Road aka Derinda Rd. from Elizabeth south, (link in my first post), which is the only length I'd describe as 'breathtaking' within 200 miles of my home (Joliet, south of Chicago). It's just phenomenal. You can find numerous views of this on Youtube (and certainly elsewhere).

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Grandson and his mom (although he was not so sure at first).

That's a great photo. Hard to suppress a chuckle or two.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mr. Barr... I'm down by Kankakee. I move down here from Joliet, 2 blocks from Briggs & 30. Maybe we can try to get together for a ride one of these days...
                              '83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Just up the neighbors' steep driveway & back over & over after a little wrenchy-wrenchy ... (including better clutch cable actuation as schooled to me by chef1366!)

Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X