No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foggy recall but didn't that Kat have a turbo engine in it for some time?
    Or was he building one to go in it?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      I've had a few interactions with Katman over the years, bought a couple of parts, nothing major, just wondering what you think the purpose of the longer wheelbase is?

It's a beautiful bike, but why does it need to be that long if it's not going to the drag strip?

Seems going out to Renfrew, Cowichan, Tofino or Port Hardy would not be very ideal, if the road curves a bit.

What are your thoughts on how it handles?
      It is surprisingly good, to be honest. Much better than the sum of its parts would lead you to believe. And the stretch isn't as long as it looks... there's something about how low and flat the bodywork is that emphasizes the stretch. In reality, it might be 3" longer than a stock Katana, maybe 4" at the most. The bike uses a Bandit 1200 swingarm which has a different length between the pivot and the rear axle, so without the extension block the bike's wheelbase would have been pretty short. At the end of the day, it's just a little longer than a Hayabusa which despite its reputation as an ocean liner, will run circles around other many other sporty bikes. The Island's roads don't pose much of a challenge to it (although I've never been to Port Hardy so can't say from experience what the roads are like up there). Anyway, adventure bikes and big-cube cruisers rip up the local roads 24/7 and have no issues... my Katana is a MotoGP ride compared to some of those.

Having said that, it won't be winning any track days anytime soon. I think Rob's intention was to build a comfortable streetbike for long rides up and down the Sea-To-Sky Highway and he used it exactly as designed reportedly putting 30K kms on it since the initial build. With the longish wheelbase and quality suspension, it definitely has a smooth ride. The engine however... not smooth. Unless you consider a nuclear bomb smooth.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Foggy recall but didn't that Kat have a turbo engine in it for some time?
      Or was he building one to go in it?
      Rob had a fuel injected turbo engine mocked up for the bike but I don't believe that it ever was a runner. He still has those parts for sale on his website.
      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Vsnacks for Breakfast... 100 miles on and watched the sunrise, first day of a 14 day vacation Having some food and planning my next spin. Unfortunately no big travel plans in the books.

This motorcycle is the most fun I've had on a bike in along time... I have nearly 2K miles on it now and 1st, 2nd and 3rd to red-line still is one of the most exhilarating feelings I have ever felt. Glad I decided to get another hyper bike.

HAHAH Registration FINALLY went through yesterday so, I'll be riding the Vmax allot more.
        Last edited by Jedz123; 06-26-2020, 07:09 AM.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

One hour ride a couple days ago. One hour ride yesterday.
          Today was a two hour ride. Was a bit tiring, but doing okay.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

BMW is running again, I see....
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              BMW is running again, I see....
              Battery related problem, I determined. Bike did start after on charger all night.
              (dern expensive battery, under all that tupperware)
              SO I drained battery slowly with head light for hour and half, and then charged back up even slower with maintainer charger (something I saw done with industrial battery banks), and seem much better now.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I went to wash my bike today. On the mandatory post-wash ride the bike started *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing gasoline everywhere (like a ton of gasoline, I could see it pouring out while riding). So I stop at a bus stop, realize I have no phone, and no good idea on what to do. I also have very limited tools.

I walk to the nearest house and ask if I could call tripple A (NAF is the norwegian name). They let me and I sit around on my bike for about 45 minutes waiting for the dude to show up.

I assumed he would just put the bike on the flatbed and bring it home or to the shop. But the guy is like: "Is this something we can fix?". I ask him if he is a carberautor wizard, and he says he wouldn't make that claim. I tell him something is probably stuck, but my carb understanding is limited. And that to fix it we have to take it out and look at it. Which means removing the gas tank, air box and carberatuors. He is like: "okay".

So we dissasemble the things, open the carb, nothing seems out of order (tons of pink gas pouring out on the bus stop, rust...). Since everything seems ordinary, put it back and start the bike. It runs, and no gas leak.

I am so impressed he was willing to dissasemble my bike at a bus stop.

I probably need to sort that gas tank and get a new fuel filter.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Sort the tank (derust it, seal it if you must), toss the filter. Petcock, if OEM, has a screen, as do the inlets to the carbs. I know people use an inline filter. I can’t understand why.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

No ride yesterday but a nice turn out for my Friday afternoon safety meeting...

Mark hamming it up on a buddy's Hog...lol

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      No ride yesterday but a nice turn out for my Friday afternoon safety meeting...

Mark hamming it up on a buddy's Hog...lol

He's got both the traditional scowl and riding gear down pat!
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Sort the tank (derust it, seal it if you must), toss the filter. Petcock, if OEM, has a screen, as do the inlets to the carbs. I know people use an inline filter. I can’t understand why.
                        Wont the filter carch finer particles? No idea if I need to seal it, but I figure why not? I think the filter catches some rust? But clearly not enough, carb float bowls has rust in the bottom.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                          He's got both the traditional scowl and riding gear down pat!
                          Lol I told him the shirt was perfect!
                          No signature

Comment

I note you had a neat looking popup Katana in attendance Trevor, very nice!

We had nine Kats turn up yesterday. Blue skies, dry roads, not as cold as it has been and it was just a fantastic morning ride!

IMG_4199 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4201 by starpoint73, on Flickr
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              Once you've been stranded at the side of the road because the stupid little gauzes in the carbs clog up, you'll understand why.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Once you've been stranded at the side of the road because the stupid little gauzes in the carbs clog up, you'll understand why.
                                Dave, I know you run an in-line filter with success. And that you have probably logged more miles than most here. I’ve read lots from others whose problems were solve by ditching their in-line filter. Whether because the filter was too restrictive or what, I don’t know. Just seems to me if your tank is clean, the petcock filter should do the job.
                                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-01-2020, 10:17 AM.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X