anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
    I went to take the GS1100E out for a ride, put some winter air in the tires, lubed the chain, charged the battery, started it up, and........... as I pulled the clutch lever in to put it in gear the clutch cable gave, no snap, just easily pulled and did not spring back . Checked terminal ends, no fraying, oh well. So.......... I put it back in the garage and took off on the
    1000, sometimes it's nice to have two bikes. Luckily I have a brand new GS1100E clutch cable somewheres . I'll save wrenching that for another day!
    I found the clutch cable! and replaced it. Just disconnected the old cable, taped it to the new cable and snaked it under the tank, connected it and didn't even need to adjust it! Went over to an old friends today, it was in the low 80's . He said there was a place he wanted to show me, and we'd be back in 20 minutes. 20 minutes later we were way out in the boondocks and I was almost out of gas. I told him lets find a gas station soon! I think I was close to running out my reserve when we finally found a station. Problem was neither of us knew where the nearest gas station was and I didn't know where the hell we were. Won't let that happen again.

My friend Jim and his little Harley Sportster, the auto shut-off for the pump failed and he overfilled his, notice the gas spill from his tank overflow drain. Luckily no fire as gas poured on to his hot engine
    He was not a happy camper over that.

The gas station we found was in the town of Clermont and where this pic was taken. Clermont is the only area I know of in Florida that has rolling hills, and is also the place where I picked up this GS1100 almost 3 years ago. If I could've remembered where the guy lived I would've stopped by to see him. The important thing was I didn't run out of gas! Put well over 120 miles on the clock today.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

........................................... it was in the low 80's . .

If I could've remembered where the guy lived I would've stopped by to see him.

Nice 1100E.

Low 80s... standing around, with jacket on, and hands in pocket. hum...

Would have been interesting to stopp in and see previous owner of nice bike like that, to see if he is happy to see it, or annoyed because he misses it.

I one time happened to meet previous owner of the 80 850G I had for about 5 years. He had had it for about 10 of its 14 years. Later My wife commented on how he was rubbing his hands over the tank and seat while he was looking at it. And wife was saying how strange and rude that was. And she commented on how I didn't seem to mind that this guy was touching my bike. I didnt really notice anything out of the ordinary. Then later I told her that he was the previous owner.

Last edited by Redman; 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Nice 1100E.

Low 80s... standing around, with jacket on, and hands in pocket. hum...

Would have been interesting to stopp in and see previous owner of nice bike like that, to see if he is happy to see it, or annoyed because he misses it.

I one time happened to meet previous owner of the 80 850G I had for about 5 years. He had had it for about 10 of its 14 years. Later My wife commented on how he was rubbing his hands over the tank and seat while he was looking at it. And wife was saying how strange and rude that was. And she commented on how I didn't seem to mind that this guy was touching my bike. I didnt really notice anything out of the ordinary. Then later I told her that he was the previous owner.

I have been in touch with the original owner since I bought it from him. He said he regretted selling it. Here's a article about him and his bikes, one being mine, when he won a $200 shopping spree at the Motorcycle Super Store. Someday I look him up. Now if he was the 3rd owner, that makes me the 4th, amazing it's still in one piece.

The jacket(s) were more for protection than warmth, but it's does get chilly quickly after the sun sets. Best to have one with you now, even if you have to pack it. Feel out of place having a jacket and everyone else is wearing Tees, shorts, and flip flops. That cold front now in, 10 day forecast looks like 70's for the highs and 50's for the lows. Now that's chilly at night on a bike!
        Be prepared with the most accurate 10-day forecast for Orlando, FL with highs, lows, chance of precipitation from The Weather Channel and Weather.com
        sigpic
        Steve

Comment

I, too, would be wearing jacket on bike if it were in 80s. But would have it off in about 30 seconds of getting off the bike.

Intersting artical about the bike and previous owner (I think he said he was 2nd owner).

Yah, big difference from 80 to 50 degrees.

THanks for posting.

Last edited by Redman; 11-14-2012, 10:57 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            I, too, would be wearing jacket on bike if it were in 80s. But would have it off in about 30 seconds of getting off the bike.

Intersting artical about the bike and previous owner (I think he said he was 2nd owner).

Yah, big difference from 80 to 50 degrees.

THanks for posting.

Sometimes it's easier to wear a jacket than to carry it. I like to wear a jacket riding if it's not too hot. There was a time when I always wore a jacket riding, no matter how hot it got, to help keep the sun off. It was a light weight London Fog jacket. That picture of me with my skunk in my signature block with the long sleeved jogging suit top on was taken at the end of June, otherwise I would've been sun burnt to hell on that x-country trip.
            If you look at the pic of the bike in the article, underneath it he says he bought the bike from the 2nd owner with 8K on it.
            Cooler weather brought rain with it today, glad I went riding yesterday.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Near 60 this afternoon, by time I was available to go for ride it was aboutg 50.
              Headed out.
              After a while, was thinking migh be nice sunset at the lake, turned around and headed into Spring Lake and headed toward the lake.
              Went on a road that went thru some wooded dunes,

and to a little parking area by the north peir.

Only good parking space with anything of a view was the handycap space, and that was occupied.

But did find a little service path that went to an interesting spot, and so I deemed my bike to be an authorized vehical.

Then the handycap space was open and from there could, ah, venture a little further down the walk way. Tried not to be in folks way for too long.
              Actauly some folks stopped and were waiting as to not step in veiw of my picture. I said "No, don't wait for me, I am the one being rude here, go ahead, this is a walkway after all."

More Pics in "sunset".

Last edited by Redman; 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Glad to see you out and about still Redman, I'm guessing it's getting a little chilly over there for most by now...

I was a bit negligent in posting up some pic's from our local GSR and Katana forum run yesterday, so here are some now:

Starting point at Samford, not a bad turnout considering the weather... rain, sun, and hail all at different points on the run...

Had some sun by the time we got to the second stop in Maleny, no shots at Dayboro as there was some precipitation in action...

And lunch at the Mapleton Tavern was good, beautiful blue skies and sun and an awesome view to follow a spectacular ride from just north of Woodford where the sun came out...

Once I get some editing done I'll be posting videos in the thread in the GS Meeting place, hopefully later this week.

It will feature the lack of visibility in the rain along Clear Mountain Road, the awesome sunny ride to Mapleton, and then the hail storm back over Mt Mee...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Didn't get any pictures, but I did get about an hour long ride this afternoon. Bwringer fixed my brake issue on Sunday. I also had a leaky front seal in the master cylinder and I spent most of the day getting that right.

Once I got the leak stopped I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather in Indy and went riding. Need warmer gloves, but it felt great to ride a bike with actual, real-life braking. Who knew?

The old GR loves the cooler weather and it was running great. Pics next time.

Comment

Glad to hear you got your brake sorted at last

sigpic

Comment

Love seeing three Kats on the road together. Pretty Country!

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      Glad to see you out and about still Redman, I'm guessing it's getting a little chilly over there for most by now...

I was a bit negligent in posting up some pic's from our local GSR and Katana forum run yesterday, so here are some now:

Starting point at Samford, not a bad turnout considering the weather... rain, sun, and hail all at different points on the run...

Had some sun by the time we got to the second stop in Maleny, no shots at Dayboro as there was some precipitation in action...

And lunch at the Mapleton Tavern was good, beautiful blue skies and sun and an awesome view to follow a spectacular ride from just north of Woodford where the sun came out...

Once I get some editing done I'll be posting videos in the thread in the GS Meeting place, hopefully later this week.

It will feature the lack of visibility in the rain along Clear Mountain Road, the awesome sunny ride to Mapleton, and then the hail storm back over Mt Mee...
                      1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Glad to hear you got your brake sorted at last
                        Thanks, Pete. Of course I am spending the unseasonably warm weather of the day in Chicago...4 hours away from the bike. Thirty degrees cooler predicted for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
                          Love seeing three Kats on the road together. Pretty Country!
                          Definitely! It's such a pity there was so much rain around otherwise we would've had more Kats.

The most we've had so far was 7 at the start I think, but we are trying to improve on that

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                          Thanks, Pete. Of course I am spending the unseasonably warm weather of the day in Chicago...4 hours away from the bike. Thirty degrees cooler predicted for tomorrow
                          Isn't that so typical? Like Monday after the GSR/Kat run... perfectly blue skies...

sigpic

Comment

Last ride of the year, it was excellent.
                            No traffic, +10 and sunny.
                            Yuck, 4 months til spring.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Motivated by the Australian GSR and Katana Group I broke my Kat out of the barn this Thanks Giving Day.

1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Great pictures! man that bike looks good.
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X