No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last couple week or so has been well above average temps, mid to upper 70s.
    But today was well below average, 42degF this morning.
    I had an early morning appointment, and then run some errands. By lunch time was 55degf.

ALong the way I got three comments from different guys.
    "Is Too cold for me today, been out a couple times last week."
    "About time to put bike away aint it?"
    "Nice sunny day, but if 15 degrees warmer I'd be riding too."

My thought was: No, It aint too cold, you just need a better jacket and some gloves and a helmet. You like to ride? or just like owning a-certain-brand-bike?

After lunch went for ride with no real destination other than looking to see if any fall color yet along the river.
    Just found a couple branches.

Got home, and finished up the stator-SH775 work on the GK.
    Started okay (after sitting for months, smoked alot for a while) and charging good now.

Was thinking "If I let this sit for 3 months, why do I even have it. Maybe should have serious talk with Mr AMD and/or Mr 93Bandit."

BUt then I sat on it. And rode away.
    Oh, Yah. THis is my favorite bike.

Last edited by Redman; 09-23-2022, 09:43 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Last couple week or so has been well above average temps, mid to upper 70s.
      But today was well below average, 42degF this morning.
      I had an early morning appointment, and then run some errands. By lunch time was 55degf.

ALong the way I got three comments from different guys.
      "Is Too cold for me today, been out a couple times last week."
      "About time to put bike away aint it?"
      "Nice sunny day, but if 15 degrees warmer I'd be riding too."

My thought was: No, It aint too cold, you just need a better jacket and some gloves and a helmet. You like to ride? or just like owning a-certain-brand-bike?

After lunch went for ride with no real destination other than looking to see if any fall color yet along the river.
      Just found a couple branches.

Got home, and finished up the stator-SH775 work on the GK.
      Started okay (after sitting for months, smoked alot for a while) and charging good now.

Was thinking "If I let this sit for 3 months, why do I even have it. Maybe should have serious talk with Mr AMD and/or Mr 93Bandit."

BUt then I sat on it. And rode away.
      Oh, Yah. THis is my favorite bike.

Looks like some nice roads in your area. I need to make it over there sometime, I finally got my 850 all fixed up (way later than I wanted, but that's life sometimes.)

As for riding in cooler temps, I agree with you. If you like riding, you'll find a way to ride in cooler temps. I've installed heated grips on my bike last year, and got some warmer gear. I'll ride in anything 30F and warmer. I rode in less than 20F weather last winter but that was a bit too cold, the wind chill on the interstate was too much for me.

I'm honored you're still considering me for the GK someday. It's OK that it sits sometimes. As long as it's sitting in your garage, you can still enjoy it even if you don't ride it every day.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Sunday afternoon ride, barley 60degF.
        Went south along the lakeshore.
        Only sign of fall color was an occasional branch here or there, mostly on old trees also having dead limbs.

Also swung by the beach.
        Hey ! Here is a sign of the season changing . . . .
        Two empty parking spaces. . . . .

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sunday afternoon ride, barley 60degF.
          Went south along the lakeshore.
          Only sign of fall color was an occasional branch here or there, mostly on old trees also having dead limbs.

Also swung by the beach.
          Hey ! Here is a sign of the season changing . . . .
          Two empty parking spaces. . . . .
          How does that thing not sink into the sand? Surely must be some kind of hard surface under the sand, right? Or did you just photo shop that pic?
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

How does that thing not sink into the sand? Surely must be some kind of hard surface under the sand, right? Or did you just photo shop that pic?
            Hee Hee
            I posed the bike there, knowing it would appear to be on the beach sand.

No photo editing.
            Bike is actually in parking lot, paved asphalt parking lot.
            Has been windy last couple days (from northwest as is typical, lake/beach is to the west) and sand blown from beach on to parking lot (and street). Hasnt been scooped up yet. Curb is a couple feet other side of the bike,
            Oh, and it has been rainy lately, so the sand there is wett yet , so not so soft.
            Sand that deep (2 - 3 inches) would be a problem for the bike if the sand was dry. And . on other occassion I have experienced that in the parking lot, and some occassion in the road.
            Last edited by Redman; 09-25-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Hee Hee
              I posed the bike there, knowing it would appear to be on the beach sand.

No photo editing.
              Bike is actually in parking lot, paved asphalt parking lot.
              Has been windy last couple days (from northwest as is typical, lake/beach is to the west) and sand blown from beach on to parking lot (and street). Hasnt been scooped up yet. Curb is a couple feet other side of the bike,
              Oh, and it has been rainy lately, so the sand there is wett yet , so not so soft.
              Sand that deep (2 - 3 inches) would be a problem for the bike if the sand was dry. And . on other occassion I have experienced that in the parking lot, and some occassion in the road.
              Man you're sneaky. I was wondering how you pulled that off.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Yep, I was confused again, sure looked like parked on the beach... Got to remember how different things can be in places we aren't familiar with.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Adjusted clutch cable - again.
                  Went for test ride. (despite being 54degF, windy and threating rain.)
                  Hey, now can downshift better .....

Swung by beach - again.
                  Sprinkling then.

Here is pic in about same place as yesterday.

THis time Included some parking lot pavement, parking space stripes, signs , trash can, parked car and building. What fun is that . . . ?

Here is a different view of that.

Includes pier, waves, wave splashing up against end of pier, and a couple kite boarders. (and avoids other signs and trashcans)
                  SHoulda had my camera camera and telephoto.

Was out for about 40 minutes, actually raining bye time I was approaching home.
                  Glad I got out for a little bit. Tommorow not suppose to be any nicer.

Last edited by Redman; 09-26-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Nice shots & thoughts Redman.
                    68 degrees for the high is my ideal window, really have no interest riding when its 80 degrees.
                    Looked like some surfable waves.
                    GK looks happy to be back on the road.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Redman!

Comment

Rode my 850 to the office this morning. It's about a 35 mile trip, I took the scenic route. 47 degrees F so a bit on the chilly side, but my hodge-podge of mixed matched & homemade gear kept me warm! And those heated grips I installed last winter are amazing. Really extends the riding season. Looks like we'll be having 60's weather the rest of this week and next week so I plan to ride most if not all work days to the office. No pictures on the ride in since it was dark, but I'll try to get a few on the way home and update the post.

Comment

Had to replace the oil pressure switch on the "Little Guy" today .........so......seemed like a good time to go for a 20 mile test ride!

57 degrees and overcast is not ideal weather for this bike! Guess summer is gone! Time for different gear.
                          Last edited by 1978GS750E; 09-28-2022, 01:55 PM.
                          Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Today................
                            No signature

Comment

Yesterday........
                              No signature

Comment

Balloons hit the sky this week in droves. This morning was perfect weather for the first day of the Albuquerque International Ballon Fiesta. Over 500 balloons this year! I stayed away from the park where they launch. Fortunately they went West this morning. Lots of open space for them to land and out there.

This little guy could care less about balloons. He was way more interested in the bike. Never met them before. They're new to Albuquerque and had never seen so many balloons.

Fun stuff.

Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X