• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would patch or replace the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      I would patch or replace the tube.
      I think I'll put air in it at a certain pressure and see how much it leaks over time, but I'm sure I'll end up at least patching it.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hope it does not decide to let go any more whilst you are astride.
        Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Hope it does not decide to let go any more whilst you are astride.
          Best of luck.
          I've already ridden it since I removed the nail. I do believe the valve core in the front tire of my GS1000 leaks more.
          But............. little leaks tend to become big leaks and who knows what it would take for the air to start spewing out, or how little there is holding back all that air pressure. Since I don't know how old the tube is it will be replaced. I learned once on a Honda 450 at 70mph with a passenger on the back what a blow-out can do. I never want to experience that again.
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            NICE road and great scenery! I didn't realize OZ had any roads with curves in them.
            Hahahaha you probably should watch some more of the vid's on my channel, not many straight roads in there at all!

Originally posted by Notz View Post
            Unseasonably warm today (65F),So I just had to fire up the bikes.
            Put on my Mini-Muvi camera on the lapel and took a 10 mile ride to the store and back. Here's a minute of that ride.

http://s1247.beta.photobucket.com/us...588d4.mp4.html
            If you could fix the mounting that'd give you some good quality footage actually! The big issue with my cheapy is that it jerks quite a lot when watching it, but yours doesn't have that issue at all. Nice!

You might try riding on the right side of the road though... that really freaked me out!

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Nice that can see speedo. I prefere the vid that can see the tach and speedo.

There for a while the vidio looked like a parking lot shopping cart rodeo.

Michigan has those red things on poles too.
            Those red octagons with four big letters, S - T - O - P.

I prefer not to have my speedo in the video... just in case... and of course mine's digital as well (Acewell) so it would be verey easy to see whether or not I really was obeying the speed limit... which of course I do

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I did get out and about today, hard not too, over 80 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze. It is January isn't it? Anyway, stopped at the river and was watching the airboats. Sitting high adds to the fun, perhaps someday I ought to try to get me one. Wonder how many miles it gets to a gallon? The way the St. Johns snakes around during the dry season it should be fun at speed. The 1100 ran great, guess all that little tweaking here and there help. The stutter on take off just right out dissapeared, it handled much better since I reduced the front fork air, no gas/petcock problems and it ran as smooth as silk. I kept thinking "is this the same bike?"

I wished I had a video of this guy in this airboat. He came down the river, then came out of the river up upon dry land, did a bunch of doughnuts, then took off another 50 feet to his trailer and literally drove it up on the trailer. I thought it was pretty cool, but I wonder what that does to the thin aluminum hull.

I was thinking about this guy I saw on a really nice Harley double bagger awhile back, don't know why, just popped in my mind. He had this screw sticking out his front tire and I thought that's going to be costly and alot of work for what it was. He didn't notice it and I pointed it out and he got all p*ssed and rode off. Must've been a bad omen for me. After I got back to the house I noticed this nail or staple sticking out of my rear tire. I jiggled it to see how bad it was in there wondering how deep it was. I was able to pull it out with my fingers. I didn't hear any air, I didn't feel any air. It was in there pretty deep, but I think it was somewhat at an angle. 5/8 of an inch long and most of it was in the tire, was I lucky or what? The round piece was at the end.

After thinking about it for awhile, I decided to get some dish soap and put it on the hole and see if it was leaking. So, I did and damn, it was, not alot, but there was an endless procession of little bitty air bubbles coming out, very small ones at a very slow rate. I mean this leak is so minor, but it's still a leak. If you look closely you can see how small the bubbles are, (honeycombed pattern) what you can't see is how slowly they're produced.
            Here's the hole it made in my tire. OK, this is a fairly good tire, and there is a tube. Should I replace or patch the tube, just keep an eye on it and monitor the pressure, stick some sealer in the tube.
            Nice pic's Steve, always enjoy your posting here. Watching that airboat would've been cool for sure! As far as I know we don't have them here at all.

Lucky with that nail too, could've been nasty! And definitely replace that tube!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              I've already ridden it since I removed the nail. I do believe the valve core in the front tire of my GS1000 leaks more.
              But............. little leaks tend to become big leaks and who knows what it would take for the air to start spewing out, or how little there is holding back all that air pressure. Since I don't know how old the tube is it will be replaced. I learned once on a Honda 450 at 70mph with a passenger on the back what a blow-out can do. I never want to
              experience that again.
              Might want to looking to using this http://www.ride-on.com/tire-sealant-2.html Local bike shop here can't keep enough of it in stock. I've added it to my tube tires as well.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Might want to looking to using this http://www.ride-on.com/tire-sealant-2.html Local bike shop here can't keep enough of it in stock. I've added it to my tube tires as well.
                Thanks, this "might" work, however after reading the installation instructions it may just be out of the contact patch area, page 2. Says it won't seal the area 1-1.5" outside the contact area. My puncture is right at the 1.5" mark from center of the tire and 1.5 from edge of the tread.
                I'm trying to figure out exactly what they mean.
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

I'm a little late posting this. Had to learn how to use my new camera.

Last Saturday 6 of my friends and I rode 94 miles west to Ezells Fish Camp for lunch. It's on the west bank of the Tombigbee River between Nanafilia and Butler, Al. Was a cool ride in the low 50's and overcast.

Buddy
                  09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                  83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                  81 GS650G for the wife.
                  82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                  I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                  If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                  Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Rob (AZR) and Glenn (Eddie21) and I met for a beer (or two) to celebrate Glenn's purchase of his Wes Cooley!! Congrats Glenn...couldn't go to a better home! By the way Rob, was there a Harley parked in your spot before you got there??
                    No signature

Comment

You guys were hilarious! I laughed when we figured out the EL on Rob's little 100 stood for Eddie Lawson!
                      IBA# 12860
                      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                      1984 KZ1100R
                      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I tell ya Glenn, it's just about the same horse power as his bike...mines got 10.5 from the factory, that can't be 'much' less than Eddie's....
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi,

Great rides, my friends. Although I wish Mr. Notz would stop at a STOP sign once in a while.

I also took a ride today, but just to work and back. It's a 30 mile round trip. But I got to split lanes all the way home. Friday traffic, you know.

Something like this, only worse: http://youtu.be/NNYgXXjL8Cs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Hey now, I was informed many years ago that any Stop Sign that has a white border around it is actually just a pause sign.

If they really wanted us to stop they would attach beer taps on em!

At least my parking lot jaunt looked a bit less treacherous than your no-headlight ride home in the dark! Less traffic too!

Although I did enjoy your GMR+GRR ride.
                            Reminds me so much of the Ortega Highway, Sunrise Hwys and the road to Tecate that used to be my mainstays in the early days.
                            Rode them in much the same way you still do. Fun Fun!

Comment

Man,Bass-Cliff, that was a good video! Almost pulled my harp out in the beginning...Nice production!
                              but oh, I am glad ,glad glad I don't have the need to get into lane-splitting where I am.. in a poofter way, I used to have to get across the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver (3 narrow lanes! for 2 way traffic) but as I recall it, Pickups with w-- i--- d--- e mirrors were really common then, so it was only a bit faster than riding a bicycle on the sidewalk!

Comment

Wow that's crazy night time traffic Cliff! I'm a very nervous lane splitter and only do it with stopped traffic... too many morons that can't stay in their lane, swerve unnecessarily, or are doing something other than paying attention to driving for my liking... sometimes it means I'm slow getting home but I'm more comfortable that way

It's also quite illegal here even with stopped traffic so that makes it a little more risky for me...

On a side note, what software do you use for your video editing? I'm using Windows Movie Maker but now that I've done a few I'm finding it a bit limiting compared to what I'd like to do....
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X