Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bear can't help what company he is forced to keep, or the constant party times he treated to. He's just trying to be a gracious guest...

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
      I'll put my chiles in any dad burned thing I want to!

Humm okay, not as clear as I thought, Stator needs to visit NM. He needs a quick taste of the South West at some time during his travels. I'll host him for a weekend at least.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        Humm okay, not as clear as I thought, Stator needs to visit NM. He needs a quick taste of the South West at some time during his travels. I'll host him for a weekend at least.
        I know what you meant (and agree), I was just razzing. Get it? Got it? Good!
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I know what you meant (and agree), I was just razzing. Get it? Got it? Good!
          Well okay then Could be some chile seeds in it for someone
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

As of now there are four willing hosts. From left to right across the map with the distances between them.

leedbutcher in Forest City, IA

364 miles

850GT in West Allis, WI

388 miles

CowboyUp in Dayton, OH

600 miles or so

Allie in ???, NJ

The mileages are almost all on the slab as calculated by Delorme.

Here is one possibility. I take Stator to Sturgis. That way he gets his picture at Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Black Hills, Full Throttle Saloon, etc.--a small slice of biker Americana. On the way back I hand off to leedbutcher in Iowa. Either he meets me in Sioux Falls (189 miles from Forest City) or I just alter my route to there. Leedbutcher then meets up with 850GT who can then plot a chain to get him to Ohio.

Another option. I get Stator up to Indianapolis say the last week of July. Somebody gets him over to Ohio for a couple of weeks and then passes him westward to Wisconsin and Iowa. Leedbutcher then catches up to me the first week in September while I am on my way to Cranbrook. I could still stop around Sturgis and get the above pics, just without the crowds. And Stator would be returned to Canada and the west coast.

For either of those scenarios I would like there to be some shots of Stator in Clear Lake, Iowa (very near Forest City) at the Surf Ballroom and at the crash site (Feb 3, 1959--the day the music died). That is a bit of Americana I think we must show given we have a host so close that particular chunk of history.

Those are just a couple of ideas that popped into my head. If anyone has other suggestions please, please present them.
            Last edited by dpep; 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
              As of now there are four willing hosts. From left to right across the map with the distances between them.

leedbutcher in Forest City, IA

364 miles

850GT in West Allis, WI

388 miles

CowboyUp in Dayton, OH

600 miles or so

Allie in ???, NJ

The mileages are almost all on the slab as calculated by Delorme.

Here is one possibility. I take Stator to Sturgis. That way he gets his picture at Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Black Hills, Full Throttle Saloon, etc.--a small slice of biker Americana. On the way back I hand off to leedbutcher in Iowa. Either he meets me in Sioux Falls (189 miles from Forest City) or I just alter my route to there. Leedbutcher then meets up with 850GT who can then plot a chain to get him to Ohio.

Another option. I get Stator up to Indianapolis say the last week of July. Somebody gets him over to Ohio for a couple of weeks and then passes him westward to Wisconsin and Iowa. Leedbutcher then catches up to me the first week in September while I am on my way to Cranbrook. I could still stop around Sturgis and get the above pics, just without the crowds. And Stator would be returned to Canada and the west coast.

For either of those scenarios I would like there to be some shots of Stator in Clear Lake, Iowa (very near Forest City) at the Surf Ballroom and at the crash site (Feb 3, 1959--the day the music died). That is a bit of Americana I think we must show given we have a host so close that particular chunk of history.

Those are just a couple of ideas that popped into my head. If anyone has other suggestions please, please present them.
              I think the only way to get Stator to me is USPS, UPS or FedEx. Not many of us GSRers out this way.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Whatever works is fine by me.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm in Sussex County, NW corner of NJ. If he needs mailed to me at some point I can certainly mail him out again, perhaps to Mr. Bill. If Mr. Bill is nice to me I won't mail Mr. Hand out instead.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I'm in Sussex County, NW corner of NJ. If he needs mailed to me at some point I can certainly mail him out again, perhaps to Mr. Bill. If Mr. Bill is nice to me I won't mail Mr. Hand out instead.
                    What heat range do you want your chile seeds? Big Jim mild or medium? Or the Sandia XX hot?
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Wow this thread kind of died over the week.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Wow this thread kind of died over the week.
                        Yes it has.

I will be in Indianapolis on the 30th and 31st of this month. Would someone like to take him over at that point? If anyone is going to the INDY MotoGP the following week I'm sure Stator would enjoy having his picture taken there. Otherwise I could leave Stator with someone in the area for others to pick up later.

From Indianapolis I will be leaving for Sturgis on the 31st or 1st. If anyone would like to catch me going to or from there to take on Stator, let me know.

I like the idea of Stator having his picture taken at Mt Rushmore. Unfortunately Sturgis and MotoGP are at the same time so he won't be able to do both. But I think he should at least do one or the other.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Stator's immediate itinerary

I have not posted much about Stator but he has been getting around. On Wednesday we visited the Daytona International Speedway and the Boot Hill Saloon on Main Street, Beach Side, Daytona Beach. We then hit St Augustine, the nation's oldest city, for a couple of tourist shots and a visit to the Tradewinds Lounge, the town's old school watering hole (like Boot Hill is to Daytona). Then Friday while I was attending a function in Charleston, SC we went by Charleston Harbor to let Stator see where in 1861 the first shots of the American Civil War were fired. Today he went with me to my mothers and helped us celebrated her 90th birthday.

There are pictures of all but I am having some trouble getting things to work right on my hosting setup and I have not had time to work it out. Soon, I promise

So here is Stator and my schedule for the next two weeks or so. On Wednesday I will be flying up to Indianapolis to pick up my repaired Yamaha Majesty scooter in Bedford. I will see to it he gets by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a few photos. By Friday or so Stator and I will I will be heading out to Sturgis, SD for that week of madness during which he will be taken for photo ops to Mt Rushmore, the Black Hills, and Devils Tower at least. We also intend to get in a visit at the Full Throttle Saloon. From Sturgis we will be heading to Clear Lake, IA to observe to spot where the music died (Buddy Holly plane crash site).

At that point I would like to hand off Stator to leedbutcher. Leedbutcher, talk to us. If that doesn't work out I might have the time to do a hand off in Wisconsin.

I had no intention of keeping Stator as long as I have. But since there was no one close to pass him to I decided to give him as much quality ground time as I could. My intent is to expose him (and the followers of this thread) to famous and infamous chunks of Americana that would likely have interest to forum members. I have organized around three types of destination locations.--historical sites, legendary racing venues, and legendary bars.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                            .... On Wednesday I will be flying up to Indianapolis to pick up my repaired Yamaha Majesty scooter in Bedford.
                            .................................By Friday or so Stator and I will I will be heading out to Sturgis, SD for that week of madness ......
                            Interesting photo:
                            ....on your scooter ....
                            .... in Sturgis....
                            .... during bike week (or whatever its called)
                            .... with fuzzy teady bear ....

PS: Bedford? Bloomington?
                            Last edited by Redman; 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

So is he still headed to Ohio at some point?
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like he's headed back west
                                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X