This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpep View Post
    During his stay Stator just pitched right in and was a member of the family. Here is Stator helping me replace the starter on my BMW RT.

And here he is helping my mom celebrate her 90th birthday at the end of July.

A real party animal isn't he!
    • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
    • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
    • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
    • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Great pics Don. There is a lot to see in this big old country. Glad Stator is getting a tour of the heartland.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I was beginning to think they went out of style.

I recognize Stator alright. Darn bear climb and sits on anything he set his sight on.

He will taste anything in a mug too.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Thanks for the photos and the bit of history dpep. That Don McLean song has always interested me because of all the hidden meanings and identities. Can anyone tell me who James Dean lent his jacket to?
          • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
          • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
          • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
          • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Originally posted by gs58 View Post
            Thanks for the photos and the bit of history dpep. That Don McLean song has always interested me because of all the hidden meanings and identities. Can anyone tell me who James Dean lent his jacket to?
            Give me a day or two and I will post the Clear Lake/Buddy Holly segments again over in Off Topic which would be the proper place for a music discussion including your question.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Thanks for the entertainment and bit of history.
              Good pictures. Did good at finding ways to propup Stator someplace in photos.

And stator has aviation helmet ... like yours.

Am Awaiting the further story of you on scooter with fuzzy teddy bear at Sturgis during bike week.

Last edited by Redman; 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sturgis at Last

So we pulled away from Clear Lake a little after noon and headed for Sturgis 600 miles or so west. We got in around 10:00 or so aided by gaining a time zone hour. The Majesty is a very good long haul mount except for the relatively small gas tank. The exits and gas stations are very far apart on the plains and I stopped about every 110-120 miles or so to be cautious.

My old friend Bob from Ft Wayne, Indiana goes out for Sturgis every year in his toy hauler. He always rents the same space in a residential neighborhood from a Sturgis resident with whom he has gotten to be good friends. Stator and I bunked in with Bob and a couple other Hoosier friends in the toy hauler so we had good digs for the week a little removed from the maddening crowds.

The GSers who were at the Indiana ride this year met Bob who was on a nice 1800 Gold Wing. But he also has a Harley side and Sturgis is where it shines brightest. It was great fun zipping around with the two big Harleys on my 400cc scooter which had no problem keeping up. We passed more bikes than passed us.

Here is Stator taking a break at one end of Main Street. He enjoyed the crowds. Our little bear is a party animal.

Last edited by dpep; 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The Wall Experience

Our first outing was to the Badlands which are an hour or so east of Sturgis. One of the park entrances is at Wall, SD, home of the world famous (world's largest) Wall Drug Store, Basically a huge building with a labyrinth of rooms and passages in which are sold just about anything legal you can think of. Tourist kitsch? Absolutely. But worth your time just to say you have been there and to check it off. Our first stop in Wall was (at Stator's insistence of course) a bar across the street for a round of bloody marys.

After his bloody mary Stator decided to take a flower pot break before heading to the Drug Store.

A photo op in front of the post office.

Another flower pot break, this one in front of the Wounded Knee museum. (Wounded Knee itself is actually
                  located 80 miles south on the other side of the Badlands.

And here is Stator playing on some of the Wall Drug Store decorations.

Last edited by dpep; 03-08-2018, 11:51 PM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

To the Badlands

Stator posing at the entrance.

Here are some shots of the Badlands taken from a motorcycle by someone else in our group.

After a long dry ride through the badlands Stator was of course ready to take in one of the popular Rapid City watering holes.

Here he is rendering judgment on the establishment's craft dark beer. He said he'd had better.

Last edited by dpep; 03-08-2018, 11:56 PM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Mount Rushmore

On our second outing we ventured to Mt Rushmore which is a little over an hour ride south and a litte east from Sturgis. Here is Stator in the middle of our group shot at the entrance to the monument.

Stator adds his handsome visage to the four stone faces.

Last edited by dpep; 03-08-2018, 11:58 PM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Devils Tower

Our last outward trek was to Devil's Tower which is in Wyoming about and hour and a half west of Sturgis. Most folks know of the Tower from the Close Encounters of the Third Kind movie.

Stator enjoying a 24 oz Fosters at the park concession.

Last edited by dpep; 03-09-2018, 12:00 AM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Full Throttle Saloon

On our last full day in Sturgis we had to let Stator see what the Full Throttle is like in person. It is only one of many biker bars in Sturgis, but it is the one most people know about because it is featured in a Reality show on TruTV.

The little buggar always seems to have a way with the ladys.

Posing for a shot above the main couryard.

Stator was particularly innterested in meeting the ladies in the body painting area.

There he goes again.

My ex-wife has a cousin who works promotions for Twisted Tea which is owned by Sam Adams.

Last edited by dpep; 03-09-2018, 12:04 AM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Well that easily trumps my effort.Great work.I am now jealous of that bear.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Don. You have set the bar for future hosts in terms of locations and photos! Very interesting to see places of historic interest as well as beautiful countryside.
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

A stellar job of getting Stator out in the world!

Comment

Working...
                                X