This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allie View Post
    I'm thinking I'd like to keep the little guy for one more week to make a run at High Point (an absolute must see) and hopefully Tripod Rock (you'll see) if there are no strenuous objections.
    No objections and great job with the pictures. It's fun when someone really gets into it--fun for the host and fun for everyone following. There is one omission so far, however. There needs to be at least one shot of the GSR host and Stator together, even if it is a selfie.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
      No objections and great job with the pictures. It's fun when someone really gets into it--fun for the host and fun for everyone following. There is one omission so far, however. There needs to be at least one shot of the GSR host and Stator together, even if it is a selfie.

Happy?

Seriously I'll try to get something more current. I plan to take Stator to work with me, maybe then.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Happy?

Seriously I'll try to get something more current. I plan to take Stator to work with me, maybe then.
        Which one is Stator? LOL
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          Which one is Stator? LOL
          Ha. Ha.

Stator is the not smart alecky one.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Which one is Stator? LOL
            That was my exact thought when I saw the pic. Glad you asked and not me. It's not good to get on the wrong side of the muffin queen.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              That was my exact thought when I saw the pic. Glad you asked and not me. It's not good to get on the wrong side of the muffin queen.
              Ho. Ho.

How bout a nice Hawaiian Punch?

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Which one is Stator? LOL
                The one with the aviator helmet - like Don dpep.

Last edited by Redman; 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Great write up and photos Allie, and I've enjoyed reading the references that you have included. When I see the old structures, buildings and communities I think of the people that constructed them and lived there. If the walls could only talk.......
                  • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                  • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                  • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                  • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    The one with the aviator helmet - like Don dpep.

I thought there was some resemblance there!

Originally posted by gs58 View Post
                    Great write up and photos Allie, and I've enjoyed reading the references that you have included. When I see the old structures, buildings and communities I think of the people that constructed them and lived there. If the walls could only talk.......
                    I think of the same thing. Along the water gap I've gone spelunking in some of the old abandoned buildings and homes that didn't get turned into landmarks. It gets kind of creepy, (and kind of a little bit dangerous) but the sense of fascination and awe is compelling.

Stator's been hanging out at work with me this week, I've got some pics coming. And I'm still looking at 1 more outing minimum this weekend. 2 if time and weather cooperate. We've got power for accessories on the bike now, I wish we'd had it the whole time, we'd have spent a lot less time in Stroudsburg . It worked great on our short ride this past Saturday though, GPS is awesome, and I don't have to worry about the phone having enough charge now.

Someone in oHIo wanted him next, and I'm thinking about passing him along sometime next week. Dammit I'm going to miss him. He'll miss the foliage here, but I bet they have a lot of it out in Oh High, and there seem to be multiple people there who will enjoy showing him the sights in the 'sweet spot' of the riding season for the northern US.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I thought there was some resemblance there!........... ..
                      Except Stator has a bandana, not a necktie.

Stator's been hanging out at work with me this week, I've got some pics coming. .......
                      Good, That will be interesting. I am waiting to see if that will be on staff in a mental institution.

Last edited by Redman; 09-04-2014, 01:13 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Here are a couple pics of Stator hangin' at the office. I dasn't take any pics of him in a patient area because it would be bad to get any patients on film.

Knock knock!
                        Who's there?
                        HIPAA!
                        HIPAA who?
                        I can't tell you that!

Anyway he made himself at home in my mess.

What's brewin', bruin? Stator says he doesn't know this guy that hangs around my cubie's yard, but he sure looks mean. And John isn't that brave (or stupid), he just has a good zoom lens.

Under my desk is a lot like a bear cave, but with relaxing tunes playing all day long. Stator feels right at home.

Stowed away in the 'tune truck', ready to do some rockin' with the seniors.

Stator horsing around pretending to be Ray Walston.

Helping himself to some munchies from the fridge.

On the day I intended to take him down to the old building I forgot my phone at home so that was a wash, which was kind of the main point of bringing him to work. Maybe this week...

Stay tuned for pics from our outing this last Sunday, we had a great ride and saw some cool things. We've also been enjoying some banana blueberry bran muffins. Yum!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Love the one of him nosing around in the fridge.
                          No doubt it has been shown before but i am just noticing the S patch on his back. Very nice.
                          Thanks for the pics.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Here are a few pics of our ride this past Sunday. It was just me and The Bear this time, as the co-pilot could not make this ride. We missed him!

The main objective for this ride was to visit the High Point Monument, so northward we went! Along the way we stopped at the Sussex Airport on Rt 23 for a pic by the cool airplane statue thingy by the entrance.

There are a couple more pics in an album I made a couple years ago of the place. It's a busy little airport, there's usually para sailing and whatnots going on, and I believe they still have the Sussex Air Show here though I'm not sure since the joint has changed hands recently.

What we did next was actually to blow right by High Point, through Port Jervis NY, through The Hawk's Nest, and followed the Delaware River up a ways on Rt 97 until the Roebling Bridge. Just over the bridge is the house of Zane Grey, which is now a museum and historical site. The riding, by the way, was fan bloody tastic, the sky was clear as a bell, not too hot, not too humid, not to busy.

The museum was closed when we got there, which was okay with me cause I've seen it before, but Stator was a little disappointed.

A sign said we could learn a lil' about Col. Potter's favorite author by tuning our radio to AM 530, so that's just what we did. Stator was absorbed listening while I was fiddling with the bags and taking pictures.

Thanks to the recording on the radio broadcast we now know cool things about ol' Zane like he practiced dentistry in NY City before moving to the country to write books, and that he was a pioneer in the field of angling, and was the first person to ever catch a 1,000 lb. fish with a rod and reel.

Here's a shot of the Roebling Bridge from Grey's place.

It's apparently the country's oldest suspension bridge or some jazz like that, and in fact used to be an aqueduct at one time.

The view of the river is nice too, and I bet it's fantastic from that house across the way.

We had a nice rest and listened to the broadcast a couple of times, then headed back south towards home. We got stuck behind some knucklehead going 35 the whole way (in a 55), in fact about a mile long line of vehicles was stuck with us. Eventually we made The Hawk's Nest, a favorite scenic overlook for motorists of all types. It's also a favorite hangout for motorcyclists, some of whom like to buzz it at questionable speeds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDAYC2RJkPU

It's tough to get the gist of the place in a single pic though, here's Stator and me taking a vitamin water break.

Continues....
                            Last edited by Allie; 09-10-2014, 11:18 PM.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

After a spirited romp up the mountain back into NJ we visited High Point State Park, a huge spread with lakes, picnic areas, hiking trails, camping areas, and the monument.

The base is roughly 1800 ft above sea level and it's the highest place in NJ. Bear this in mind when I say 'mountain'... these are old and worn down, mountains, not like those sassy upstarts out in Colorado. Although they're high enough to make your ears pop, you'll see no 'snow caps', and I'd just about bet my last muffin tin you don't need to use 'high altitude baking directions'.

It's a long way up!

On the way back out we stopped at the site of the old Kuser Mansion, which was horribly mis-handled by the state, when it was a museum much of it's contents were squandered and or misappropriated by greedy state officials, building neglected, eventually torn down. I'd seen the building before it was torn down, it was decrepit and neglected but magnificent nonetheless. Here's all that's left, a little monument and grass.

Here is how it once looked. bear in mind this place is in the middle of absolute nowhere, the story is Kuser's wife refused to stay there cause it was too creepy, so they barely used it before they donated it to the state.

Here's the view of the monument from the mansion site. Kuser also had the monument built.

A little history on the Kuser debacle:http://pmrd.blogspot.com/2009/09/hig...st-museum.html

*EDIT*
                              I found that last pic that I took on this trip, my camera started a new folder without me realizing it. So this is Space Farms Zoo and Museum in Beemerville NJ, and here is Stator paying respects to his Great Great Granduncle Goliath, the largest bear in captivity when he was alive. Don't tell Stator but the erstwhile ursine is actually stuffed, and towering in the lobby these days. The zoo was, naturally, closed by the time we got there.

Other attractions at Space Farms include an antique car museum, including some motorcycles I believe, and exhibits of American Indian artifacts exhumed from the local environs.

*END EDIT*

We're not out of cool places to see, not by a long shot, and I'd be more than happy to ride Stator around all fall but I'm ready to pass him on as soon as someone steps up, I believe Cowboy up was interested not long ago. I will get a pic of Stator -and- me eating muffins before he moves on, don't worry
                              Last edited by Allie; 09-12-2014, 10:52 PM.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Cool, you made it High Point! 227 steps to the top if i recall properly. And one can see NJ, NY, and PA from there.
                                As a side note, I do service work in a mansion in Bernardsville, and on the third floor is remnants of an old Butlers call system that would ring a bell and indicate what part of the building to go to, and Colonel Kuser was written on one of the indicators. I did a bit of light internet research, but didnt turn up much. I think the mansion dates back to the late 1800 - 1900 range, and partially burned in the 1920s. The exposed steel beams in the attic have"Carnegie Steel" cast into them.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X