This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allie View Post
    Okay as an ignorant American I have to ask, what's up with BC? Do they have a mild climate compared to the landlocked lubbers of the Great White North? It would make sense I guess. Is it sorta like California except instead of juice bars for your health you have regular bars for your health?

Signed,

Always Interested In The World Around Me
    Lol....Yes Allie, we are quite fortunate here on the west, best wet coast.

Visit leafy, flower-filled Victoria—British Columbia’s capital city—for museums, English charm, seafront parks, and ocean adventures on southern Vancouver Island.

Climate & Weather

Victoria, British Columbia's capital city, enjoys extremely mild temperatures all year round.
    In fact, the city boasts the mildest winter in Canada and the lowest rainfall on the province's west coast. Daily temperatures rarely rise above 30 șC or fall below 0 șC. Winters tend to be mild and rainy, summers are relatively dry, snow is a somewhat uncommon occurrence, while the city enjoys plenty of sunshine all year round.
    This temperate, sub-Mediterranean climate has earned Victoria the nickname of "The Garden City." Not only do gardens bloom early and long here, but they contain many plant species rarely found elsewhere in Canada, including palms, eucalyptus and even some bananas.
    Indeed, spring arrives early here with hundreds of thousands of blossoms and bulbs blooming by late February. Residents take part in the annual "flower count" during this month, in what for the rest of the country is still the dead of winter. As for golf, there is no such thing as off season – many of the courses in the area are open all year.

A good way to get Celsius to degrees is double it and add 30

Spring

Spring is always a wonderful time to visit Victoria. Daily temperatures range from 11-15 șC. The flowers are in full bloom in the city's many spectacular gardens.
    Summer

From June to September, Victoria is typically sunny and mild. Daytime temperatures range from the low-to-mid 20s șC, with evenings cooling down to about 10 șC.
    Autumn

Autumn brings average highs of 12 șC to Victoria. By November, the rainy season has begun; Victoria can expect to receive up to 147 mm of rain during this month.
    Winter

Victoria enjoys the most temperate winter climate in BC. This allows for year round outdoor pursuits such as cycling, hiking and golfing, even in January.
    Last edited by trevor; 01-10-2015, 12:25 AM.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
      Okay as an ignorant American I have to ask, what's up with BC? Do they have a mild climate compared to the landlocked lubbers of the Great White North? It would make sense I guess. Is it sorta like California except instead of juice bars for your health you have regular bars for your health?

Signed,

Always Interested In The World Around Me
      One tiny little corner of BC gets the warm weather mainly because of their proximity to the ocean. While they have nice weather their are just too many people huddled in the south west corner of the province afraid of the cold. The rest of us real Canadians take up the rest of the 99.9% of the country where we get real weather. When it's not raining there they all like to run outside and take pictures to show the rest of us how nice it is. Ya can't even bake a muffin there. On rainy days they'll just come all soggy and on sunny days you're ....well .......outside taking pictures.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Out with Stator...

Then I went and stretched the legs on the 83 1100...

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          One tiny little corner of BC gets the warm weather mainly because of their proximity to the ocean. While they have nice weather their are just too many people huddled in the south west corner of the province afraid of the cold. The rest of us real Canadians take up the rest of the 99.9% of the country where we get real weather. When it's not raining there they all like to run outside and take pictures to show the rest of us how nice it is. Ya can't even bake a muffin there. On rainy days they'll just come all soggy and on sunny days you're ....well .......outside taking pictures.
          Oh yeah ! I heard you guys burn stuff to keep warm.......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

That sounds almost idyllic, despite Sandy's thinly veiled ruse to dissaude me from moving there.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              Lol....I wasted too many years in Ontario winters. Moved here ten years ago. No regrets and no mosquitos!!
              No signature

Comment

NO Mosquitos? seriously? is it the pollution that does that in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  NO Mosquitos? seriously? is it the pollution that does that in the city?
                  Lol...Victoria is not quite known for it's pollution.

On my second day here after moving from South Western Ontario. I went golfing. Something was missing?? I was not constantly swatting myself while on the green putting. Mosquitos...none. I said to my golfing companions "where are the mosquitos"? They said "we don't have any". But don't tell anyone. Lol...
                  Another odd thing...never seen a screen door or a screen on a window. We leave our door wide open and windows wide open too. Very few bugs here too.
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

On my second day here after moving from South Western Ontario. I went golfing. Something was missing?? I was not constantly swatting myself while on the green putting. Mosquitos...none. I said to my golfing companions "where are the mosquitos"? They said "we don't have any". But don't tell anyone. Lol...
                    Another odd thing...never seen a screen door or a screen on a window. We leave our door wide open and windows wide open too. Very few bugs here too.
                    We too, can ride our motorcycles, golf, swim, kayak and ski all on same day. And guess what ....no mosquitos either. I think Stator could have some adventures here.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Is he going to stay in Canada or move down to the PNW?
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think Trev plans on passing him to me at the Vancouver Motorcycle show. BigD83 and myself will show him around town. After that we'll pass him on to whoever shows interest. It would be nice if we could hand him off for a trip across Canada but the distances and weather this time of year of make that kind of impractical. I think a trip down the coast { or a little inland } might be the most sensible.
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Yes, that's the plan. Are you at the show Friday Garth? That's when Rob and I will be coming over.
                          No signature

Comment

Yeah that's my plan Trev. I wanted to talk to Derrick just in case I couldn't do much with Stator before I got back to you. I'll PM you when we get close to the time and we can work out a meeting...
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

No mosquitos but we have a country's worth of hornets and wasps here! Since they're not out for blood, we stay away from each other and all is well... Until they get inside your helmet.
                              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                                No mosquitos but we have a country's worth of hornets and wasps here! Since they're not out for blood, we stay away from each other and all is well... Until they get inside your helmet.
                                Really? In ten years and hundreds of rounds of golf and 77000kms I have been stung once. And that was on the golf course. You must be sweeter than me. Lol
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X