Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a very good friend and his dad has a lovely camp a few miles from here and lets us stay for free, it is run as the hunting camps used to be in the old days, the accommodation is spotless and appears to be basic but it really isn't and the food laid on is spectacular, first class service and top cuisine, usually I don't bother about that as long as there is plenty of scoff but that's what Safari is all about. Most times I get hoiked off to fix a bust generator or something, last time it was a piper nose wheel that had a heavy arrival. But not this time.

Stator sitting in the drinks social/breakfast area, there are Hippo usually behind him...

Outside the tent morning time....

There is a friendly elephant called Mario that comes round everyday through the camp, he is wild so its best not to try to be familiar and he has never hurt anybody in all the years he's been there. We didn't see him this time but he had been around because I saw his poo.
    Stator looking at the river which is very low.....

On the way to Voi we saw this Mother with a calf and an adolescent having a doze next to the road....
    And at Voi Safari Lodge there is an under ground viewing place right next to the water hole..that has no water..I had a word with the manager but still didn't get a clear answer.

Stator at Voi looking across the Savannah...

Impala and Zebra, doing Impala and Zebra stuff, mainly avoiding lions..

More hot and seemingly empty (but it isn't), makes the oil go thin and temperature rise, bad to be without water here.
    Lots of bones about these places..

Stator looking at the Yatta Plateau, the north side has recently been opened up but visitors are not encouraged to go there, it was (Maybe still is) the place where most of the poaching goes on.

More to follow....
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I thought I'd add these, Stator is not in them but I thought they'd be of interest...
      There's been a new bridge built that joins the North to the South, the recently opened half and we snapped a yawning Hippo...

A nervous Giraffe...

A Secretary bird...

And some Lions, these were a long way off and this is the best I could do, sorry..

My wife is going back to Uk tomorrow, Stator is going with her.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Chris, I must catch up on this thread tonight if possible.

One small tid-bit that has never mentioned before. The purple scarf on Stator was my dog Morgan's. With someone (Simon and Deb?) buying the purple hat for him, we figured it would be nice combination when taking pictures of him at my house. We didn't have the heart to ask for it back as it looked so good and everyone thought we donated it to the cause. So there it has stayed, un-washed, on a bear that Stan passed along traversing the globe.
        Cool, I think those and his jacket were a stroke of genius being that he is getting about, they give him character and some protection. I wanted to say that his kit is exactly right.
        sigpic

Comment

Sad to see Stator's Kenya trip is coming to an end. I've really been enjoying your pics and monologue about a country I know very little about. Great stuff !
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Well, Stator has seen some amazing places and had some fantastic experiences on his travels, but think this trip has to have been the highlight. Thanks Tatu, really enjoyed those pictures. Only downside is that my wife has been nagging me about going on Safari for years, now she has more ammunition !.
            "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
            1978 GS750
            1979 GS750 chop
            1979 GS550
            2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
            2000 Enfield Bullet 500
            1992 XV750 Virago
            2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

[QUOTE=tatu;2271029]Poaching is always a bad problem, I heard some very disturbing things a day or two back, I have heard many stories about who is behind poaching and there can only be one end. They say the black rhino is extinct the rest are not so far behind. I have just got back from Tsavo and am disappointed about the dwindling numbers of animals. Tsavo means "Place of death"

We had a Chinese "travelling" salesman in the camp at Ombasu Ghana set up a stall trying to sell ivory and fake diamonds to unsuspecting white construction workers. He bribed his way past the gate guards and the camp manager and his best customers were the Asian guys.
              Discretion and telling the other white workers that his stuff will probably be confiscated at the airport, was the only way to cut his visit short. Once he knew he wasn't going to sell anymore he packed up and moved back to the main town, where he set up in the pub visited by workers. He tried to ply his wares on us again during the weekend, but we noticed the local police were paying a great deal of attention to the pub over the weekend.
              Being found with gold or diamonds on you, in a state run town in Ghana would ensure you spent time in prison, until you could get a friend or tour company to bribe way out. And it was up to your friends to pass food though the bars to fed you, because the police reckoned it wasn't their problem.
              Poachers and the dealers had devious ways of getting their stuff sold and out the country, and we stayed well clear of anyone dealing in it.

Comment

I was interested to see the pictures of Tsavo, as I worked there for ten years. Poaching has been a problem for decades. While I was there, the main culprits were well-armed Tanzanians. who would cross the border, do their business, and get back before we could catch them.

The big rains should be coming just about now. If I recall correctly the most arid months (as in when water levels are lowest) are November and February.

Just one thing - Tsavo doesn't mean 'slaughter' or 'death'. It's just derived from the Maasai word for 'river'.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

[QUOTE=sinkankan;2271456]
                  Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  Poaching is always a bad problem, I heard some very disturbing things a day or two back, I have heard many stories about who is behind poaching and there can only be one end. They say the black rhino is extinct the rest are not so far behind. I have just got back from Tsavo and am disappointed about the dwindling numbers of animals. Tsavo means "Place of death"

We had a Chinese "travelling" salesman in the camp at Ombasu Ghana set up a stall trying to sell ivory and fake diamonds to unsuspecting white construction workers. He bribed his way past the gate guards and the camp manager and his best customers were the Asian guys.
                  Discretion and telling the other white workers that his stuff will probably be confiscated at the airport, was the only way to cut his visit short. Once he knew he wasn't going to sell anymore he packed up and moved back to the main town, where he set up in the pub visited by workers. He tried to ply his wares on us again during the weekend, but we noticed the local police were paying a great deal of attention to the pub over the weekend.
                  Being found with gold or diamonds on you, in a state run town in Ghana would ensure you spent time in prison, until you could get a friend or tour company to bribe way out. And it was up to your friends to pass food though the bars to fed you, because the police reckoned it wasn't their problem.
                  Poachers and the dealers had devious ways of getting their stuff sold and out the country, and we stayed well clear of anyone dealing in it.
                  Being locked up anywhere in Africa can,t be much fun and it's true here also that prisoners rely on outside help for their wellbeing. The warning here are very clear and all over about ivory, the problem is that it goes very high up and is very organised.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                    I was interested to see the pictures of Tsavo, as I worked there for ten years. Poaching has been a problem for decades. While I was there, the main culprits were well-armed Tanzanians. who would cross the border, do their business, and get back before we could catch them.

The big rains should be coming just about now. If I recall correctly the most arid months (as in when water levels are lowest) are November and February.

Just one thing - Tsavo doesn't mean 'slaughter' or 'death'. It's just derived from the Maasai word for 'river'.
                    Lots of guns and bad guys in Tanzania.
                    Yes long rains just around the corner, there has been some rain there already.
                    Tsavo does mean 'place of death' or as google tells me 'Slaughter' I think it should translate as 'Place of slaughter' but the last bit I'm only guessing. There are no Maasai in Tsavo. Akamba are the tribe there in the East and Taita to the West. Maasai are more to the North, on the Maasai Steppe (Mara) Narok, Eldoret. Eldoret means rocky river, is that what you are thinking?
                    sigpic

Comment

The Maasai word is 'sabuk', pronounced 'tsavok'. As far as I recall, the Maasai were moved from SE Kenya in the early 20th century to make way for European ranching, and for the game reserves. Both the Maasai and the Kamba are effectively recent immigrants - the Kamba are a Bantu tribe who moved in from central Africa, and the Maasai are a Nilotic tribe tribe from the Nile valley. Both arrived in East Africa in the 17th/18th centuries, but initially the Maasai 'owned' the majority of the land. One reason why the British found it easy to reduce the Maasai territory (by approx. 60%) is that well over half of all Maasai died during the Emutai at the end of the 19th century.

Anyway, sorry for the history lesson, which you were probably aware of anyway!
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Sad to see Stator's Kenya trip is coming to an end. I've really been enjoying your pics and monologue about a country I know very little about. Great stuff !

Thanks, I'm glad you like it, I used to go Safari for a month or two at a time but stopping in the game parks like in the old days is not possible anymore.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                          Thanks, I'm glad you like it, I used to go Safari for a month or two at a time but stopping in the game parks like in the old days is not possible anymore.
                          African safari looks a lot more interesting than in India. I've lost track of the number of tiger safaris I've been on and still never seen one. Saw a leopard in the hotel swimming pool once which I'm told is a rare siting but no tigers. Stayed in a couple of those luxury tent resorts as well. The most decadent one was a fishing resort. A bunch of guys descend on your tent in the morning and down to the river you go. Some of them head up river and toss bait in and another guy does the casting and fishing while you sit on a rock drinking beer. If he hooks something he hands you the rod. LOL
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            The Maasai word is 'sabuk', pronounced 'tsavok'. As far as I recall, the Maasai were moved from SE Kenya in the early 20th century to make way for European ranching, and for the game reserves. Both the Maasai and the Kamba are effectively recent immigrants - the Kamba are a Bantu tribe who moved in from central Africa, and the Maasai are a Nilotic tribe tribe from the Nile valley. Both arrived in East Africa in the 17th/18th centuries, but initially the Maasai 'owned' the majority of the land. One reason why the British found it easy to reduce the Maasai territory (by approx. 60%) is that well over half of all Maasai died during the Emutai at the end of the 19th century.

Anyway, sorry for the history lesson, which you were probably aware of anyway!
                            First I've heard of it, I have no idea if the British or its even possible to move a tribe let alone a smelly feisty bunch like the Maasai.
                            Tsavo means 'Place of death' in the Akamba language and it refers to the area where the game park is now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              African safari looks a lot more interesting than in India. I've lost track of the number of tiger safaris I've been on and still never seen one. Saw a leopard in the hotel swimming pool once which I'm told is a rare siting but no tigers. Stayed in a couple of those luxury tent resorts as well. The most decadent one was a fishing resort. A bunch of guys descend on your tent in the morning and down to the river you go. Some of them head up river and toss bait in and another guy does the casting and fishing while you sit on a rock drinking beer. If he hooks something he hands you the rod. LOL
                              Tigers, another animal persecuted to extinction, cats are becoming unusual in K too, its been years since I've been to the Mara or the Serengeti so have no idea what its like there these days.
                              That sounds like very civilised fishing to me, if you like fishing..on the day we went up to pay our park fees that allows us direct entrance through the road we used we stopped at the Malindi fishing club to see if any old friends were there, it was empty but I snapped this....

Not really into blood sports myself but I do enjoy a bit of fishing sometimes, strictly for the pan.
                              sigpic

Comment

And I nearly forgot the obligatory beer shot...
                                You can find me here most Saturdays swilling that stuff.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X