Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He certainly needs to get up to the Wisconsin/Illinois area. Let's not forget our riding season is shorter than the southern states. He can always visit those places when we're fighting off the annual encroachment of the glaciers.....

Comment

An itinerary of some sort does sound like a good idea. I kinda thunked at first that he'da spent more time in Canada and crossed into the States maybe halfway through the summer. Doesn't seem to be happening in a very linear fashion. And yes, still interested in treating him to muffins.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I agree, it was a bit disheartening that he completely skipped Ohio (beyond the traveling that Simon did with him) when he was at Brown County and am hoping he'll come back out. But if not, so be it.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ditto!

What he said. We`ll probably have snow here next month the way things are going....
          Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
          He certainly needs to get up to the Wisconsin/Illinois area. Let's not forget our riding season is shorter than the southern states. He can always visit those places when we're fighting off the annual encroachment of the glaciers.....
          sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
          1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

I have no objection to passing the bear back to Ohio. The same is true for Wisconsin and Iowa. There does not seem to be a large clamor for the little fellow up the east coast right now.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it to the West Virginia ride as originally planned. That would have been the ideal place to pass it off. It may still be; I will work on it.

My travel plans as of now are as follows. For the rest of July I am pretty well stuck in Florida except for a commitment in Charleston, SC on the 26th. On or about August 2nd I will be departing for Sturgis, SD to join my friend Bob for that madness. I will be departing Sturgis on or about August 10th to return to Florida.

On or about September 6th I will be departing for Cranbrook, BC and will be leaving there Sept 15th or so.

I will have some slack time on my return from Sturgis and could venture a little out of my way then to make a pass off. The same is true for the return from Cranbrook. But the trips to the events will be tight and someone would have to catch me on my route.

There are a lot of possibilities. I could just take the little fella to Sturgis and show him those sights. I could then leave him off in Iowa or even Wisconsin if someone wanted to meet me part of the way.

Another idea would be for me to get the guy to the Ohio group fairly soon and have them move him over to Wisconsin and then to Iowa where I could pick him back up for another hand off in Cranbrook.

Or I am open to any other suggestions anyone might have. Let me know who wants Stator and when. If you are willing to ride at least a few miles to meet up I will work it out. If there is a will, I will find a way.
            Last edited by dpep; 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Can't get fairer or more obliging (not to mention, organised) than that.

Comment

Don, I could take him whenever you decide to pass back through here. But it also sounds like Allie would like him to visit so how about maybe sending him to her? Then let him make his way west from there
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Don, I could take him whenever you decide to pass back through here. But it also sounds like Allie would like him to visit so how about maybe sending him to her? Then let him make his way west from there
                  I could also act as a middle man. If he needs to get from point A to point B (with in 500 miles from north east Ohio) I could shuttle him so he don't get stuck anywhere...
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    I'm willing to ride a couple hundred miles or so to get him, but it sounds like the East Coast is primarily populated by poopers. Let's see how far he gets under petrol power before we worry about shipping him. I'd have thought there would at least be someone in every state willing to play but .

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Get him to Cranebrook and we'll get him west and south from there and he can see what real roads are like.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

From my read of the recent posts in this thread it appears that there are two members who would like to host Stator, CowboyUp in Ohio and leedutcher in Iowa. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE??? Speak Now.

I will soon start coordinating with the volunteers. One thing that you can be thinking about is to whom you will hand him off and how and when. It is apparent that serendipity isn't going to move the bear along. I suggest planning to move him along as quickly as possible. The only reason he has an extended stay with me is that I've no one to pass him to less than 900 miles away.

There is a new wrinkle for my travels. The Majesty scooter I rode up to the Southern Indiana ride and which died in the Rosemount parking lot is now fixed and ready for pickup in Bloomington. So I may be up that way very briefly sometime in the next two or three weeks to either trailer it home or to fly up and ride it back. That's all up in the air right now; let me know if that would make things any easier for anyone.

Nature bats last.

Comment

HELLO McFly.....

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          IS THERE ANYONE ELSE???
                          What am I, chopped liver???

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                            Only if you make liver-flavored muffins.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Stator is gonna need a chile fix at some time right?
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                                Sorry, Allie. I thought that in your response to CowboyUp (post #399) you indicated that the lack of interest from anyone else back east had taken you out of consideration for now. I know you would make a fantastic host for the little guy. If I at all had the time I would deliver him personally to your door. You might try to drum up a little more interest your way to establish a hand-off chain that will move him along. There is still plenty of time in the season and you definitely deserve some time with the bear.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Working...
                                X