Bike in a bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I admit that using the base shop for sandblasting and painting is kind of cheating on the "bedroom restoration." But all disassembly, reassembly, and electrical repairs will indeed be done in the bedroom.

Comment

Painting a frame takes a lot of patience. There's so much area to do when you consider all the nooks and crannies, and round surfaces in general. Easy to miss spots and to keep the coats consistent w/o dry spots.

As a Spokane native, I applaud your GU shirt, too.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Impressive. I'm so rooting for you guys.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
            I admit that using the base shop for sandblasting and painting is kind of cheating on the "bedroom restoration." But all disassembly, reassembly, and electrical repairs will indeed be done in the bedroom.

10 minutes into your first ride you will not care about where the restoration took place. You will be to busy enjoying the ride. Looks great so for, keep up the good work.
            1983 GS1100E project

Comment

I was blasting the tank today to prep it for paint. I uncovered several rust holes- all of them on the same side.

I will attempt to repair it. Unfortunately, I may not be able to get a good tank seal kit like the POR-15 kit due to shipping restrictions.

Comment

Update 5/6/18

Working on electrical. I decided to go with Deutsch DT connectors. I bought the genuine $250 tool, and didn't tell my wife.

20180506_153501.jpg

Comment

Electrical 2

20180506_162047.jpg

Comment

Electrical 3

20180506_162100.jpg

Comment

Electrical 4

20180506_163043.jpg

Comment

Fuel Tank and Fender

The fuel tank had rust holes along the lower seams on both sides. I sandblasted the whole tank clean and spread JB weld over the holes. I then feathered the JB weld with a sanding block. Then I did normal filler on top of that, as well as dent pulling and filler where necessary. I coated them with several coats of epoxy primer, wet sanded with 500 grit, then topcoated with a single stage urethane. I royally screwed up the topcoat. Orange peel for days. But I sprayed 4 or 5 coats, hoping that I can color sand it out. If not, I will have to redo the topcoat.

I also used the POR15 fuel tank sealer kit inside the tank.

20180506_164657.jpg

Comment

New fork inners and seals. Ordered these from Fast from the Past. I think they were made by Torazzi Forks. I need to polish the lowers.

20180506_164901.jpg

Comment

Fuel Tank and Fender

The fuel tank had rust holes along the lower seams on both sides. I sandblasted the whole tank clean and spread JB weld over the holes. I then feathered the JB weld with a sanding block. Then I did normal filler on top of that, as well as dent pulling and filler where necessary. I coated them with several coats of epoxy primer, wet sanded with 500 grit, then topcoated with a single stage urethane. I royally screwed up the topcoat. Orange peel for days. But I sprayed 4 or 5 coats, hoping that I can color sand it out. If not, I will have to redo the topcoat.

I also used the POR15 fuel tank sealer kit inside the tank.
                            You might luck out with the combo of JB Weld and the Por-15. Gas has a sneaky way of finding even the tiniest of pinholes, though. Hard to tell in the pic if it's a metallic paint or not, but if it is and it's single stage, sanding it will disrupt the metallic I'm afraid. You may have to sand it with some 600, then spray another couple of coats of the blue and then in the same session top coat it with some 2K clear to protect it before polishing. Glad to see an update on your project.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Update 5/6/18

Working on electrical. I decided to go with Deutsch DT connectors. I bought the genuine $250 tool, and didn't tell my wife.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54854[/ATTACH]
                              Lots of work. I hope it turns out well.
                              A $250 tool to make electrical connections? What does it look like? You keeping the stock regulator and rectifier set up?
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Glad to see you're still at it. Looking like some decent progress.
                                sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Working...
                                X