Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themess View Post
    I tend to gain weight, and have been paying attention to it all my life. For a while after grad school, I reached 220. Now I'm near 170, shooting for 155 - 160. My basic method is healthier eating habits. People who lose quickly usually get it back, because eating habits didn't change, and there's social pressure to eat in the old ways.

Avoid processed foods, especially anything with added sugar. Fructose metabolizes using the same paths as ethanol. It doesn't trigger a full feeling. It takes a loooong time to develop new eating habits, and train the taste buds to like new things. But, with a good diet, hunger is reduced and energy levels stay more consistent.
    We never drink soda. We're about a generation behind our American neighbours on the obesity trend, so when I take my 15 year old twin children to the states, people I think look at them oddly, because they're not fat.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
      I tend to gain weight, and have been paying attention to it all my life. For a while after grad school, I reached 220. Now I'm near 170, shooting for 155 - 160. My basic method is healthier eating habits. People who lose quickly usually get it back, because eating habits didn't change, and there's social pressure to eat in the old ways.

Avoid processed foods, especially anything with added sugar. Fructose metabolizes using the same paths as ethanol. It doesn't trigger a full feeling. It takes a loooong time to develop new eating habits, and train the taste buds to like new things. But, with a good diet, hunger is reduced and energy levels stay more consistent.
      Your advice is bang on here ... My wife and started the keto type dieting this winter, highly recommend it. Low carbs and sugar, eat more fat and protein so you need to drink lots of water which is hardly ever a bad thing! You have to do some homework for recipes and options but it has yielded great results and we have more energy! It has been well worth our time.
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982
      GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        So after riding in Florida I got on some great machines... I spent allot of time on my buddies 2017 Triumph T120. OMG I'm in love. He was super generous in letting me ride it... So Comfy, so smooth and the power is AWESOME! Worlds ahead of the Sportster XR1200 I currently have (and refuse to ride). Stock it blows the doors off the XR1200. We did some roll ons and the T120 is by far the quicker bike. It is built perfectly... Feels like a true standard motorcycle... The power plant is one of the best 2 cylinder power plants I've ridden on. I intend to try the Scrambler 1100 out to see how that feels however the Triumph is superior in build quality and general look and feel...

I showed my Fiance this last night:

National Powersports Distributors is one of the largest sellers of pre-owned powersports vehicles in the US.

She said, "Why did you even buy the Harley? that bike is gorgeous! When are you buying it? Because I love it!!!"... Thanks Hunny.

Anyway the Triumph T120 is one of the best bikes I've ridden in a long time...
        That is a beauty--no doubt! When I looked at the specs, at first I thought "Why only 80hp?" but then I saw the torque--that's got to be fun! How was the handling?
        sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Only 80 hp???? I've owned several cars that didn't put out 80 hp, and none of my motorcycles have.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Here's a very long video of me riding my Buddies T120 through Fort Launderdale at midnight.
            It is surprisingly quick with 80hp, it felt faster, lighter on it's toes and stopped as well as my XR1200. Will pop that front wheel right off the ground too.
            My XR1200 only puts out 80.41WHP and it's a pig... Slow but not super slow.
            The Bonnie is definitely the better/faster bike. We had some top speed runs and the Triumph walks away.

Best.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
              Your advice is bang on here ... My wife and started the keto type dieting this winter, highly recommend it. Low carbs and sugar, eat more fat and protein so you need to drink lots of water which is hardly ever a bad thing! You have to do some homework for recipes and options but it has yielded great results and we have more energy! It has been well worth our time.
              I went Vegetarian and eat mostly raw and uncooked vegetables. I will splurge and have pasta or pizza once a week.
              Still drinking (allot) of beer, 2-5 Miller lites... A day. Some days I won't have any.
              40lbs & 6" on my waist and still dropping.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                Still drinking (allot) of beer, 2-5 Miller lites... A day.
                American beer is mostly water, so no worries

Now, down 2-5 Guinness (or my favourite, London Porter) a day and your GS' suspension will be tested.

245px-Fullers_london_porter.jpg
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

In the top two favorite bikes I have owned in my life!!!!!!
                  Unfortunately I was terribly affected by the last economic crash and had to sell it off .... almost pains me to look at the pictures but ... man it was sweet machine. Still .. I dont know about UJM .... it had its very own character that I never got off of a Japanese bike. Some of it weird, some of it good .. but damn .. I freagin loved that bike!!

My wife said the Triumph was her favorite bike but she likes the "new" Suzuki more.

Comment

I am not overweight and never have been, but I pack a snack of cut peppers, red, green and yellow, celery, cherry tomatoes, dates apples and dries fruits to snack on all day while working. Took me years to get in the habit as I would usually have a second breakfast at a greasy spoon, depending on where I was working and forego lunch. By the end of the day I would feel sluggish. You might want to look into a book I read recently by Dr. David Rowland - Bypass the Bypass. Been trying this formula for a few months now and the results are amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                      American beer is mostly water, so no worries

Now, down 2-5 Guinness (or my favourite, London Porter) a day and your GS' suspension will be tested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54543[/ATTACH]
                      Guinness Stout has only about 30 calories more than Miller Lite per pint. It just seems more substantial. Fun little details you learn when you visit the St. James Gate Brewery.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Guinness Stout has only about 30 calories more than Miller Lite per pint. It just seems more substantial. Fun little details you learn when you visit the St. James Gate Brewery.
                        Interesting. Of course, with 16oz of Miller Lite having 128 calories, the 30 extra calories in Guinness is a 24% caloric increase per pint.
                        1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                          I am not overweight and never have been, but I pack a snack of cut peppers, red, green and yellow, celery, cherry tomatoes, dates apples and dries fruits to snack on all day while working. Took me years to get in the habit as I would usually have a second breakfast at a greasy spoon, depending on where I was working and forego lunch. By the end of the day I would feel sluggish. You might want to look into a book I read recently by Dr. David Rowland - Bypass the Bypass. Been trying this formula for a few months now and the results are amazing.
                          If he recommends eating fresh fruits and veggies, go for it! That is in line with lots of good studies of what types of diets are associated with health, and with biochemical studies on how different food types are metabolized.

I looked for reviews of Rowland's book, and none came up in my search. This link did:

David W. Rowland, "Ph.D., R.N.C" is one of Canada's leading promoters of nutrition nonsense.. He gives lectures and appears often on radio an ...

According to that web page, Rowland's PhD is a fake degree, and he seems to associate with huxters.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Interesting. Of course, with 16oz of Miller Lite having 128 calories, the 30 extra calories in Guinness is a 24% caloric increase per pint.
                            Which is insignificant when it comes to the difference in quality. Guinness is good, Miller is ... ugh.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                              In the top two favorite bikes I have owned in my life!!!!!!
                              Unfortunately I was terribly affected by the last economic crash and had to sell it off .... almost pains me to look at the pictures but ... man it was sweet machine. Still .. I dont know about UJM .... it had its very own character that I never got off of a Japanese bike. Some of it weird, some of it good .. but damn .. I freagin loved that bike!!

My wife said the Triumph was her favorite bike but she likes the "new" Suzuki more.

That Triumph was sweet.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

I only drink 12oz cans
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X