No announcement yet.

Speaking of center stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you'd like to keep the sissy bar and possibly make no modifications to it, I'd suggest the wood idea first. As Earl was saying, the standard 1 5/8" thick "2X6" helps a lot but you can make a custom piece of wood closer to 2" thick or whatever you need and the bike will sit on the stand with so little effort that you wouldn't need to get a strong grip on the grab rail or sissy bar. I'm thinking you would just need to "cup" your hand under the rail/bar or side of the seat and that's all you'll need to sit the bike up.
    Just place the bike on the stand, measure the rear tire clearance above the floor and use/build a piece of wood that's maybe 3/8 to 1/4" less. A "Standard" smooth 2X6 is 1 5/8" thick but a "rough cut" 2X6 is about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 thick. Or use 2 different boards that give the perfect thickness.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Tired shocks or not, if you reduce the amount of swing arm travel you need to overcome to a minimum, the bike WILL sit up with minimal effort.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Chef1366 is a big guy and can do it without even getting off the bike!

It must be the shocks. The longer shocks essentially make the head angle a little steeper & make the turn-in a bit more responsive. Not a lot but you'll notice the difference.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          Tired shocks or not, if you reduce the amount of swing arm travel you need to overcome to a minimum, the bike WILL sit up with minimal effort.
          I've yet to try this...but I will.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Just an additional bit of info. I mistakenly bought new Hagons that were 0.5" shorter than stock. While they have greatly improved the feel of the ride, I haven't noticed any negative impact on handling. However, the effort required to get the 650G up on the centre stand is quite a bit more than with the crappy old Icons that a PO had installed.

It's still not what I would describe as difficult, and I don't have the grab bar to assist. I just put my hand on the frame.

Given your description, I wonder if there is something also happening with the centrestand. It could be bent in a way that impedes creating leverage.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Take pics of center stand...we wanna see the underbelly of your bike!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Not in this weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                  Boriqua's question about side or center stands reminded me of something I wanted to ask. Is there a trick to getting a GS up onto the center stand? On a level surface I just can't rock the bike up onto it. I have to run the front tire up onto a board or paver that's at least an inch and a half thick before I can get the bike up on the stand.

With my old 450 I could step on the peg on the side of the stand, lift the handlebars, and rock the bike back onto the stand in one motion. But not with the 750. Am I missing something?
                  The biggest and best trick to getting any old bike onto its centre stand is make sure you don't have saggy old springs front and rear. You'd be amazed at the difference a loss of half an inch makes to getting it up, as they say.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X