No announcement yet.

Get the real SH775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When buying an R/R whether used or new, make sure the picture shows the SH775AA or BA as shown in comment #10. Otherwise, it's a knock-off or fake.

Glad I picked up a spare back when they were relatively cheap.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, there are MANY different R/R units that will work. All of the fake ones discussed above will also work. You know what? Even the STOCK R/R works. The problems is that they are all still the older "shunt" style units, while the Polaris (and SeaDoo) units are "series" style, which will work better.

Steve, what about those R/R units that forum member Duaneage was selling in the past? Were they shunt or series style? I believe he was getting them from Honda motorcycles.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Those were shunt-style R/Rs. Decidedly better than a stock Suzuki unit, but still shunt.

The Honda units were better for at least two reasons: 1. better heat sink, 2. most of them had a "sense" wire that would modify the output a bit, based on the voltage it was sensing.

They were a good choice at the time (I even bought a couple), but the SH775 is a much better unit. If you can find a genuine unit on eBay, it's usually not that much more money.

Just did a quick look, there is one right now for $26. Click HERE. The next one I would trust is $40.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I jumped on the 1st one you posted. Thanks.

Comment

Guess I better start watching for one then. I purchased the one from Duaneage back in '09 so who knows how much longer I can get by. Working great so far.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Well there's the answer for the guy that was asking about where to buy a Shindengen RR kit from, with plugs and pigtail and all. Roadstercycle.com if I gathered correctly.

That his has me wondering now what that massive SH847 Shindengen is... possibly a series units capable of powering a serious touring bike with heated grips and additional lighting???
              the SH775 is PLENTY for a GS with no major additional lighting or electric accessories however...

Since these have caught on as an upgrade for all kinds of bikes everywhere (GSXR's, R1's, Yamaha cruisers, etc), does anyone happen to know the CanAm part # For the SH775 as well? I figured 3 different search options would yield a lot better bargains than just one...
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

So the SH847 is a 50 amp series switchmode unit spec'd for the last few years of Suzuki V-Strom DL1000's, one of the ultimate adventure touring bikes... one which would likely be running heated grips and additional lighting for off road excursions, hence the larger heat sink and larger 50 amp capacity... it is a good bit more pricey than the SH775, but necessary if you have an upgraded stator and additional electric draws.

I am wondering if being higher rated, if it will be even more durable on a GS than the SH775? With only 1 reported failure of an SH775 on GSR (& perhaps that was one of the cheap Chinese counterfeit units??), I'd say the SH775 is serving us very well... and is also over all brands of internet motorcycle forums as of late as THE go-to best replacement r-r... hence the real Japanese Shindengen OEM manufacturer units are getting bought up rapidly on ebay...
                Last edited by Chuck78; 04-01-2018, 10:12 AM.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                X