No announcement yet.

GS bikes that have been SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better shot? of the 1100ED I had to piece together the tail cone from sections of three busted up ones that I cut up and fiber glassed together.
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I know, not a GS. LOL

78 If I remember, XS400 $800 A real paint shaker. Was pretty much a basket case that I got for hauling it away.

Last edited by earlfor; 03-23-2018, 02:24 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Please list the prices your GS bikes sold for. My idea for this thread was for current GS price references.
        Thanks
        fixed it with prices/timeframes.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Sold for $950. Bought for $200. Put a whole lot of elbow grease into it, and parts!!!
          Text from the guy that bought it: "It has a wobble at 130 mph, that Vetter fairing isn't designed for speed."

Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            1983 1100 ED sold for $1800
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]54346[/ATTACH]
            Interesting paint scheme Earl. Why does it have the early cam covers? I see the carbs are not black either.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by fudozen View Post
              Sold for $950. Bought for $200. Put a whole lot of elbow grease into it, and parts!!!
              Text from the guy that bought it: "It has a wobble at 130 mph, that Vetter fairing isn't designed for speed."

BUMMER…a GK must be able to do 130 MPH all day or why own it??
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

These all seem to be success stories of how people made money. trying to keep things real:

Bought a 1980 550G (GS?) Bought it for $350. Put new rear tire on it, new battery, sold it for $800....IIIRC think I made $200 this was around 2006. Had a 1981 GS650G. Paid $800 for it (2012 IIRC). Put new tires on it rebuilt the carbs (twice....) flushed the brakes, new pads, adjusted the valves, replaced the choke cable, new battery. Could never get it to idle right, sold it for $500? in 2016. Had an 1982 GS650GL. Paid $1000 in 2013. Rebuilt carbs, flushed brakes, upgraded voltage regulator, adjusted valves, balanced carbs. Ran like a top when I sold it. Got $900 in 2015 IIRC. Probably had 60 hours of time into that bike.

Comment

Not a problem mhobeyan, keep it real!!!
                  Not many of the other guys have mentioned how many working hours they put into their bikes.
                  However, those have to be offset by how many riding hours we enjoyed too.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Not a problem mhobeyan, keep it real!!!
                    Not many of the other guys have mentioned how many working hours they put into their bikes.
                    However, those have to be offset by how many riding hours we enjoyed too.
                    Thanks. Wouldn't want a newbie to stumble on this thread and think they can make oodles of money fixing up these old UJM's. They are absolutely a hoot to ride, and a joy (usually!) to work on, but you are typically fighting at least 10 if not 20 years of partial to no maintenance, so it's going to be a long slog (in man hours) to get one up to snuff, and even when you do, It's not like they are worth oodles of money.

Case in point, just purchased a low mileage 83 850GL for $1,000 and was ecstatic that the PO had put on new tires ($$), cleaned the carbs, upgraded the R/R. I was hoping to just have to adjust valves and flush brakes, but alas, needs fork seals, and head bearings. Not big $$, but def. sometime quality time in the garage. And when it's all said and done, I can probably sell it for.... $1,000.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
                      Thanks. Wouldn't want a newbie to stumble on this thread and think they can make oodles of money fixing up these old UJM's............. And when it's all said and done, I can probably sell it for.... $1,000.
                      That's exactly what would happen if I sold my 83 850. I'll never get what's invested in it. The seller was asking $1800 for it and we negotiated a little less of a sale price over the phone. I was told it needed nothing. After a seven hour drive to see it and not being able to ride it, I paid $1200. Over the last two years, just about, the bike has had:
                      Carbs reworked ( by Chef)
                      Electrical system (R&R) and SPG upgrades
                      Brake lines
                      Brake pads
                      Tires (two sets so far)
                      Light bulbs
                      Valves adjusted multiple times
                      Cam chain tensioner refurbish
                      Air box sealed
                      Air box boots
                      Carb boots to head
                      Tach drive seals
                      Front and rear wheel bearings
                      Vetter bags and custom rear rack
                      And the list will continue to grow. Probably over two grand now and I doubt I'dget $1500 if I sold it. Some bike purchases are investments for monetary gain and others are investments in personal satisfaction I suppose.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sticking a lot of money into a motorcycle that would still be old when I was done never made any sense to me when for the same money I could have a modern bike. After finding the forum and lots of upgrades, they are close enough for me to a new bike and have 10 times the personality of any new bike and have no anti-fun devices. I also have a connection to GS's from my past history with them, I can actually work on them(well kind of...). As far as money goes, we'll call it a Roth Ira. If I need the money later on in life(re:really old), I'll part em out as there worth more in parts and will keep me busy and out in the garage.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If I could quantify the fun value of my bike in dollars, I am well in the black. You could always invest in stock or contribute to your IRA, but can they reduce anxiety and stress? That's why we can invest more money than we get back and still feel just fine.

I sold this beauty for $2900. I probably did ok on this one as long as you don't count labor!

IMG_0252 by Gary L, on Flickr
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Sold my 1982 GS850L for $1750.00(Can.$)20180424_131318.jpg

Comment

I'm about to place my '83 GS1100ES on the market so will update the info here, if sold.

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                                If I could quantify the fun value of my bike in dollars, I am well in the black. You could always invest in stock or contribute to your IRA, but can they reduce anxiety and stress? That's why we can invest more money than we get back and still feel just fine.

I sold this beauty for $2900. I probably did ok on this one as long as you don't count labor!

IMG_0252 by Gary L, on Flickr
                                That's a beauty!

Decent price too...my threshold is $3K when I'm authorized to do so. lol

Ed
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X