No announcement yet.

talk me out of an FZ1....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would seriously consider the 6 BUT the prices seem actually higher than the 1 and the squid factor is DEFINITELY higher. This is all just a thought experiment anyway, the buzzy little 2 stroke will take the edge off the spring fever and financial realities will take care of the rest. But keeping my eyes open never hurts.....and the boss actually seemed not COMPLETELY closed off to the idea when I talked to her about it (with stars in my eyes) last night. First I have to get her kitchen remodel done, then I have to get the Dream reassembled and running......
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I considered an FZ1 back in 2007. It seemed like a good bike but I read about fuel injection issues. From what I remember the gen 1 was worse and they improved it later. Two popular magazines (I don't remember which ones) both complained about the FI. That partly scared me off, but the price of $9600 from the nearest dealer was too much for what I was getting. I ended up paying just $2,000 more for a new 2007 ZX14.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The FI on those bikes was harsh. The FZ6 took some getting used to and a really soft hand after that. It was very much a "on" or "off" system. Once you realized that a 1/16th in twist was the difference between idle and 3500 rpm, it was much easier.

Comment

I heard about the fi probs on the gen 2's. Gen 1's were carbed. And I guess a reflash/ power commander took care of the fi probs in the 2.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Endless discussions on this at 600riders.com. Old timer verdict was learn to ride better (softer hand) rather than blowing $$$ on mods that didn't add value, etc. Point of view I suppose.

Comment

Sorry but all stock suspensions basically suck. Everybike I have except the GL has a Racetech in the front end. The rears can be sent out and redone. Once you ride with it you will hooked. When I was a Service manager at a multi-line dealership we would put race tech stuff in GL's and cruisers also. Told them the guarantee if your unhappy with the upgrade was I would put it back to stock and give you free oil changes for 1 year. Never gave out a free oil change.

I started getting suspension work done, because Mn. roads look like no mans land from WW1. Not many people like the looks of them, but I had a 1050 Triumph Tiger that had lots of leg room, storage, perfect FI, killer brakes and 6 inches of travel that made every bumpy road seem like a pool table. Had my first and only 1000 mile day on her. Hit one of Wisconsin's finest(a deer) and it was goner, and I almost was too.
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Just a note about my FZ6 (2004). When I bought it (used) it had bad, inconsistent throttle response. Was able to talk the guy down in price because of it. There was a recall on various Yamaha's for the TPS (throttle position sensor) once that was replaced, free of charge from Yamaha, the bike ran perfect. Not sure if this included the FZ1, but something to look into. It made a night and day difference in the performance.

Comment

Again, the FZ1 and FZ6 are very different bikes...and FZ1 Gen1(carb) vs Gen2(FI) are different too. I know from experience of owning one that the Gen1 FZ1 is a pretty hard bike to beat for the $. It is a refined beast in bone stock form. Capable of 10 second quarter miles and also riding on long trips comfortably(and good tank range). And throw in handling for the Tail of the Dragon detours on your trek. Here is a good buy in NH:

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-fz1/6555349563.html
                  I keep telling myself to stop looking at this ad otherwise I may be tempted to buy. No, I don't want a bike that will do 140mph effortlessly...no....no....noooo.

ps...the OP is going to have a tough decision. Hang on to a one of a kind old school GS1100ES or buy a semi modern FZ1 that will run circles(ok maybe just one circle) around it for less $! I certainly won't talk you out of a FZ1 to replace the "aging" GS!! lol
                  As a matter of fact I did buy my FZ1 shortly after sending my GS1100ES your way via Ohio!!

....do it! do it! yeah, you know you want to.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                    If ever there was a no brainer it's Gen 1s with low miles for $2K. There is little relationship between Gen 1 and Gen 2 other than the name. Gen 1 is the one you want.
                    Ditto! Right on target.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Gen 1 FZ1 is possibly the ultimate bargain literbike.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-fz1/6555349563.html
                        I keep telling myself to stop looking at this ad otherwise I may be tempted to buy. No, I don't want a bike that will do 140mph effortlessly...no....no....noooo.
                        This is what I am talking about. It boggles the mind that you can get an '01 FZ1000 in good condition for that kind of money. They are the best, worthless machines out there. $2k... why is it even still for sale?
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

this. It's ALMOST enough to get my wife on board....and these are spring fever prices......and there are MANY out there with similar price ranges that have had suspension/etc upgrades done (setting aside any personal opinions of the definition of an "upgrade".)
                          Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          This is what I am talking about. It boggles the mind that you can get an '01 FZ1000 in good condition for that kind of money. They are the best, worthless machines out there. $2k... why is it even still for sale?
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

The 07 FZ1 had some frame cracking issues at the welds. Stay away from anything 07. The gen 2 is more like a sportbike, has better forks, alloy frame, efi, newer tech. The thing has had an 11 year run with almost zero changes. I love my 09. Lots of easy mods out there and the bike can be had for peanuts.
                            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

What's the verdict on higher mileage examples? There's one local to me that has 142K kms on it (about 90K miles) but it's only $2.5K (Aus bikes are ALWAYS dearer). Lower K examples are around $5K.

Anything out of the ordinary to watch out for?

BTW - this is Gen 1 model.
                              Last edited by hillsy; 04-12-2018, 04:52 AM.
                              Current:
                              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Higher mileage means more worn out. Doesn't matter what.
                                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                                X