Long Distance Interstate Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wymple View Post
    I hate those things. You can't take your hand away and shake it out or rest it at all. I use these...https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEP-Motorcy...UAAOSw2PtaoVFi...

Adjustable tension, I can shake my hand loose or hang my arm down. Ten times better.
    I've had both types of throttle locks on my bike, they both have ended up in the trash. I use the cramp buster, actually I use two of them, one on the left side as well.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm new to this in helmet music/communication system I have. I must admit I kind of like it. Put on Willy Nelson & Friends and your good for about 5 hours. You should see me "air mic" Rhinestone Cowboy as I'm traveling down the highway! Other motorist must think I'm crazy. Yes riding the highway is boring for some, but there are ways to make it fun and interesting. 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        And a VERY easy way to lose control.

I absolutely DETEST those contraptions. Yes, they take the strain away from the wrist, but they still require constant attention to hand/arm position. And by the time you finally get it set up in the right position for cruising, it's sticking up too far when you slow down in town. With it sticking up like that, it's WAY too easy to accidentally bump it down, adding a lot of throttle. And I believe that bike has pretty good throttle response.

The only way one of those will end up on my bike is if it's in the trunk or saddlebags. I will NOT put it on the handlebar. And for a few bucks more (~$25 vs. ~$10), you can get the Vista Cruise Control throttle lock. That one will actually let you remove your right hand (momentarily) to scratch your right leg, which is something the Cramp Buster won't allow. The Vista unit does not lock the throttle so hard that it can't be moved, it just keeps it from moving on its own.

I completely disagree. My preference is the exact opposite. That said, I did trim my first throttle rocker to keep it from catching on my jacket, and now use my own design. It was only a nuisance though. I've never been in danger of losing throttle control. You may have had the wrong intuition about using it. You don't rest your wrist on it. That would indeed be dangerous. It is only a supplement to your grip on the bar. Grip it like normal; you just need to squeeze less.

I dislike throttle locks, but I admit it would be nice to let go once in a while on long slab stints.

Personal preference, I think. But you're also wrong.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

+1 on cramp-buster / throttle rocker. Used to ride 100 miles per day back and forth to work - was amazing. I use a thin, longer one on the outside of the grip so its out of the way unless I want it. Never had any control issues.

Comment

I tried the cramp buster and the throttle lock style. I didn't like either. I have bar end weights on the B12, so I made a thick rubber washer that fits between the bar end weight and the rubber handle bar grip. Tightening the bar end weight puts pressure on the end of the rubber grip.
            That creates drag and reduces the effort needed to hold the throttle open. I tighten the bar weight until the drag is enough that from mid throttle, if i let go of the throttle, it slowly returns to idle. It takes about 5 seconds to return. At that setting, just the weight of a finger on the throttle is enough to cancel the return and grip required is near zero. It does require that one learn to always twist the throttle to accelerate or slow down since there is no quick return when the throttle is released. It's been like that for ten years and has become automatic to always turn the throttle in either direction to precisely where I want it.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You can do exactly the same thing with the adjustable throttle lock, and more if you wish.

Comment

And a VERY easy way to lose control.

I absolutely DETEST those contraptions. Yes, they take the strain away from the wrist, but they still require constant attention to hand/arm position. And by the time you finally get it set up in the right position for cruising, it's sticking up too far when you slow down in town. With it sticking up like that, it's WAY too easy to accidentally bump it down, adding a lot of throttle. And I believe that bike has pretty good throttle response.

The only way one of those will end up on my bike is if it's in the trunk or saddlebags. I will NOT put it on the handlebar. And for a few bucks more (~$25 vs. ~$10), you can get the Vista Cruise Control throttle lock. That one will actually let you remove your right hand (momentarily) to scratch your right leg, which is something the Cramp Buster won't allow. The Vista unit does not lock the throttle so hard that it can't be moved, it just keeps it from moving on its own.

Sometimes Steve, you're hard to live with......
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Earplugs, it's been said i know, but you won't believe the difference.

BUT you will find yourself riding faster if you don't keep an eye on the speedo.
                  1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                  New project 1979 GS1000S
                  Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Check out "Throttlemeister". A very nice throttle locking mechanism. It replaces the right hand side bar end weight.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      Sometimes Steve, you're hard to live with......
                      I know the feeling. Sometimes it's VERY hard to live with myself.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                        Earplugs, it's been said i know, but you won't believe the difference.

BUT you will find yourself riding faster if you don't keep an eye on the speedo.
                        I even tried earplugs on the Wing. Didn't think it would make much difference, since the bike is already quiet, but it's almost scary how much quieter it got. It's pretty much the difference of riding in a car with the windows open, then rolling them up. The only thing that kept my speed in check is the electronic cruise control on the Wing. Yes, electronic, just like a car. Adds throttle to maintain speed going up hill, backs off a bit when going down.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          Check out "Throttlemeister". A very nice throttle locking mechanism. It replaces the right hand side bar end weight.
                          Just make sure you are sitting down when you see the price.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I saw the price of the throttlemeister and don't want to play with that right now. I am wearing ear plugs now since the air over the shield is so loud and though it's not quiet, it's much easier to think.

I'm going out to Iron Pony to get a vista cruise like what I have on my 550 probably this weekend. The few highway rides I have done (did another tonight) have been okay but pretty short so hopefully I can put more miles in this weekend.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just make sure you are sitting down when you see the price.

As opposed to a rubber compression washer between the grip and bar end that for 25 cents, does the same thing. LOL
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Besides the price on the Throttlemeister, I had trouble trying to activate the blasted thing while maintaining throttle setting. I just can't see using one on a daily basis.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X