Frustrated and considering selling GS650G - kinda long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Got to be a member close that can run over and help you.... just ask and maybe someone will offer assistance before your blood pressure goes whacko.
    Good Idea! I wouldn't want to know what my blood pressure was doing earlier today... Looks like I might be able to diagnose from with everyone's help on here tho cause I finally have it running!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      At the top of the carbs section is a STICKY concerning CV carb tuning procedures..you may wish to check that out also.
      Ahh yes, the ever present sticky. Will do.

Comment

I would also suggest you do a valve adjustment, vacuum gauged carb sync, and maybe even refresh the carbs. Its not as daunting as you think. Just stay calm, take it slow, follow the manual and reread each step as many times as you need to get whats going on. If you havent found this place yet, add it to your favorites. There are tutorials on both side margins and many more tidbits that will be handy. Note the CV carb rebuild tutorial on the right side...

There is a 650 factory service manual as well.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jswhite View Post
          Thank you for the input everyone.
          I took the advice of gas directly into cylinder from plug holes and I got it running! Warmed up, adjusted the idle turned it off. Turned back on again easily. I took out the plugs (which are new) to see if any clues are there and plug 1 is extremely sooty, 2 & 4 are perfect, and 3 is a little sooty. Here is the pic of #1 plug.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54734[/ATTACH]

Book says....
          Sounds like you haven't ridden it yet. Before messing with any adjustments, I suggest taking it out for at least a 10 mile ride, see how it runs, and then check the plugs again and see how they look, and go from there. There is a thread on this site that explains the appropriate way to do plug chops and how to read, however, if you still have fouled plugs after riding around for a bit, it would be safe to say something isn't adjusted right, or you are getting little to no spark on the offending plugs.

Comment

There's a big group of riders not that far from you... haul it along to one of the "rallies" and they'll no doubt help you get it fixed in the off time.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              There's a big group of riders not that far from you... haul it along to one of the "rallies" and they'll no doubt help you get it fixed in the off time.
              That has been done before. More than once.

I tend to bring a toolbox (Mrs. Steve trailers her bike over there so we can bring other "stuff", too) and my sync gauges, so come on by.

It's only 175 miles to Bedford, IN, we will be there Father's Day weekend this year.

Last edited by Steve; 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
                Sounds like you haven't ridden it yet. Before messing with any adjustments, I suggest taking it out for at least a 10 mile ride, see how it runs, and then check the plugs again and see how they look, and go from there. There is a thread on this site that explains the appropriate way to do plug chops and how to read, however, if you still have fouled plugs after riding around for a bit, it would be safe to say something isn't adjusted right, or you are getting little to no spark on the offending plugs.
                yes, now that you are running, ride the bike around a bit...The soot you can wipe off with a rag if you like- the rest will take care of itself on a ride..not too far at first-round the block, then round two blocks, then up to the main street where you can go at normal speed etc, etc. 10 or 15 minutes and home again... I wouldn't get too involved in the tuning YET if the bike is idling nice and not smoking rich when you get back. Then before your next ride, get some kind of Fan to help keep the bike cooler before you set it up on the centre stand and commence tweaking after another ride. You really don't want to be stripping everything down yet if the bike is running "pretty well". Not in riding season and not without a serious symptom that can't be figured with just the tank off.

Comment

Good news everyone, since I got her running the first time she has consistently fired right up when cold and idles perfect!
                  I'm excited to get back on the road.
                  Thanks for all the help.

Comment

good news! That's waay better than your sad original post. Good thing you "reached out" or one of us would have got a great deal showing up for your craigslist ad
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Great News!

Enjoy your riding season.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                      X