GS 750 to 850 Conversion Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KornGirl666 View Post
    Finally got a chance to ride the bike around the block for a few hours and oil is still spewing out of the breather box hose on top of the valve cover. Any information on what is happening, and how to solve this would be great. As mentioned above the compression numbers seem decent.
    How much riding have you been doing since you posted last? If less than 100 miles, then I don't think it has had enough yet. My FJ1100 came with a Tupperware container hiding under the tank, with the breather hose stuck in it to catch excess oil blow by, but it you run a long enough hose and put a small filter at the end you will at least keep it from getting all over the valve cover.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      I've also hear people say to use oil with a high zinc content and to never use full synthetic.
      Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      Correct on the synthetic.
      I am going to have to disagree on this point.

We replaced the rings on my son's bike ('80 1000G) this summer. Have run nothing but Rotella T6 since the rebuild. I think he has gone about 6000 miles since the rebuild. Just before the last trip (about 750 miles), he made sure the oil level was proper before leaving home. Checked it a couple of times on the ride, but did not add anything. When he got home, the oil was just below the FULL mark, where it started. At that rate, it would probably take about 10,000 miles to get the level to the FILL mark.

My bike also had the rings replaced this summer. My oil consumption has decreased considerably since the rebuild, but things went awry on our "Little Ride v2" when the base gasket sprung a leak. That is something I will blame on an aftermarket gasket, rather than synthetic oil, but there have been no problems using full synthetic oil (Rotella T6) in OUR bikes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How much oil are we talking about here? I suggest a 10 mile ride with the breather hose dumping into a catch bottle of some sort and then measure the exact quantity that gets expelled. If it's more than a couple cc's or so there is something wrong with the engine. But before assuming that, did you verify the oil level is somewhere in the middle of the sight glass when the bike is on the center stand? What kind of oil are you using? What kind of hone did you use, grit and type? OEM Suzuki rings? How many miles were on the cylinder and did you measure out of round and taper in the bores?

To assure a good service life for the engine the bores should have no more than .001" out of round and taper. Use a 240 grit bottle brush hone and OEM Suzuki rings. The valves need to seal well so at minimum a good lapping job is needed. Personally, I recommend having the valves faced with a centerless grinder before lapping. It's cheap enough and assures you are starting out with a perfect surface. Too late for this stuff I suppose, just shooting some stuff off the top of my mind which may help you determine what's wrong.

Oh, and what oil to use isn't overly critical assuming it's not thin auto oil and the like. Synthetic or mineral oil shouldn't matter much.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

We're talking 500 ml of oil overflow. It's a lot of oil. The glass is foggy, so i'm measuring using ml and the manual. I put in about 3.5 quarts of mineral. I used a light hone from Canadian tire and went very light when using it. There was no grit rating on it, but it wasn't super rough. I didn't measure taper.

Sounds like I need to tear her down again.

Comment

Working...
          X