Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1250 "Bandit" no longer being made? Any other suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I don't buy new bikes, and I like the old Ninja 250's valve adjustment mechanics much more than shims. A purchase price of $1500, 70 mpg, 200 mile range, bulletproof running gear, and a top speed of 100 make it a pretty perfect commuter!
    I take it the old 250 Ninja has screw adjusters for the valves? If so, do you know that last year they had the screw type adjuster?

OK, just did a search and it was 2007 and older 250 Ninja that has screw adjusters.
    Last edited by earlfor; 06-09-2018, 12:37 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      Bandit 1250s are shim under bucket. At least my 07 was. Don't think they've changed. You don't have to pull the cams to check clearance but you do if you need to change a shim.
      All years of the air/oil cooled 1200 Bandits (and 600's) have screw adjusters like a GS1150.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        I take it the old 250 Ninja has screw adjusters for the valves? If so, do you know that last year they had the screw type adjuster?

OK, just did a search and it was 2007 and older 250 Ninja that has screw adjusters.
        My TUX has lock nut adjustment screws all 2 valves with adjustment caps on on the valve cover... 15 minute adjustment/check job.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          My TUX has lock nut adjustment screws all 2 valves with adjustment caps on on the valve cover... 15 minute adjustment/check job.
          Thats the way to go. I despise having to mess with shims and I absolutely will not buy another bike with shim under bucket design. My CBR was a nightmare that I didn't want to do, and the local shop quoted me $900 to adjust the valves on it. I sold it instead. LOL

Comment

Agreed on valve adjustment requirements. I like the Ninja 250 a bit more than the TUX mainly because of performance and range. 0-60 in under 6 seconds vs twice that, top speed of over 100, 250+ mile range allows some fun road trippin'.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I spent a day riding a buddies Ninja 250 around NoVA following him on his BMW R1200GS. I really liked it. It had the ergos of my 1250 Bandit but otherwise everything was just less. Less weight, less power, less fuel consumed. We road some scenic back roads, highways, and a bit of interstate. It was a lot of fun. I had no trouble keeping up with him, but I was winding it up pretty good between shifts to do so.

It handled pretty light and I bet would be big fun on a really twisty road. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
              Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
              Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Thats the way to go. I despise having to mess with shims and I absolutely will not buy another bike with shim under bucket design. My CBR was a nightmare that I didn't want to do, and the local shop quoted me $900 to adjust the valves on it. I sold it instead. LOL
                My Shim over buckets bikes (FZ1, ZG1400) I did the valves once and it was just checks afterward... both my FZ1 and Concours14 were always in check after the first adjustment...

The Water-cooled Bonneville is SOHC 8V shim with roller rocker actuation ... 20K mile valve intervals. From what I read they almost never go out of clearance. Also the rocker arm comes off for shim replacement so that the bike never looses timing when having to replace shims... The new water cooled twin is a tank of a motor. Very well designed.

Another reason I went 2 cylinder... Half the work on valve maintenance.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Agreed on valve adjustment requirements. I like the Ninja 250 a bit more than the TUX mainly because of performance and range. 0-60 in under 6 seconds vs twice that, top speed of over 100, 250+ mile range allows some fun road trippin'.
                  Yup! Great bike! My TUX gets about 200-250 depending on how you ride it on the 3.25 gallon tank... Putting back roads the bike will run all day on gas. Pin it and the bike will hold 70mph all day as well. Each their own, I'm not a fan of fared bikes... However I have seen some AWESOME Ninja 250 builds:

I only need 1 250 in my life... My next little bike will likely be the new Honda Cub 125... I'm content with going the speed limit in my area, I live over an hour away from an interstate and the state limit is 50mph.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the shim under bucket type very rarely needs adjustment. In fact, many bikes never do, and good percentage of the rest need it only once.
                    Typically, checking the adjustment isn't any harder than with the shim over type, so you can keep an eye on it yourself.

Doing the actual adjustment yourself is time consuming, but not terribly difficult IMO.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Yup! Great bike! My TUX gets about 200-250 depending on how you ride it on the 3.25 gallon tank... Putting back roads the bike will run all day on gas. Pin it and the bike will hold 70mph all day as well. Each their own, I'm not a fan of fared bikes... However I have seen some AWESOME Ninja 250 builds:

I only need 1 250 in my life... My next little bike will likely be the new Honda Cub 125... I'm content with going the speed limit in my area, I live over an hour away from an interstate and the state limit is 50mph.
                      Now, THAT is a sweet little Ninja!
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I appreciate the replies. Much more than I expected.
                        A lot of you like the smaller bikes but I can't imagine riding anything under a 750 to do several hundred miles on the interstate. My GS has no problem with that but I'd like to keep the miles down and keep her "semi-retired".
                        If I do buy a new bike, it'll have to be easy to work on. I'm tired of taking a bike half apart and then removing cams to adjust clearances. If I can't find such a bike, then I'll just have to stick with my GS.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My Shim over buckets bikes (FZ1, ZG1400) I did the valves once and it was just checks afterward... both my FZ1 and Concours14 were always in check after the first adjustment...

The Water-cooled Bonneville is SOHC 8V shim with roller rocker actuation ... 20K mile valve intervals. From what I read they almost never go out of clearance. Also the rocker arm comes off for shim replacement so that the bike never looses timing when having to replace shims... The new water cooled twin is a tank of a motor. Very well designed.

Another reason I went 2 cylinder... Half the work on valve maintenance.
                          So do the cams need to be removed to adjust valve clearances? I've never thought of owning a Triumph. I assume the T-120 has ergo's similar to the GS? When it comes to smoothness at around 75 mph and overall power, how does it compare to a good running 40 year old GS1000? How are the electrics and lighting on the new retro-Triumph's (which I assume the T-120 is)? I was brought up to think of Triumph's as vibrating, leaky, underpowered bikes with poor electrics and poorer lighting.
                          Thanks for any help.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                            So do the cams need to be removed to adjust valve clearances? I've never thought of owning a Triumph. I assume the T-120 has ergo's similar to the GS? When it comes to smoothness at around 75 mph and overall power, how does it compare to a good running 40 year old GS1000? How are the electrics and lighting on the new retro-Triumph's (which I assume the T-120 is)? I was brought up to think of Triumph's as vibrating, leaky, underpowered bikes with poor electrics and poorer lighting.
                            Thanks for any help.
                            Do Note the Bonneville Received a complete overhaul in 2016 receiving a brand new water-cooled 270' I-2 and my statements refer to the 1200cc variant of that model.

So the Rocker arms need to be unbolted for shim replacement only... The SOHC 8-Valve valve train is designed with high mile valve adjustments. From what I've read these bikes are set it and forget it after the first 20K mile valve adjustment with some bike pushing the 60-70K Mark and no valve adjustment needed since.

As for riding the bike I can most relate it to in power and comfort is a GS1000E but lighter. The Engine is robust stock with 80hp/80 ft/lbs of torque where it delivers a smooth power band to it's 7K RPM redline(I often shift at 6.5K). It smooth. Like stupid smooth.. I rode my Bandit 1200 and it buzzes way more than my T120. Electrics are all Denso, even the flywheel is a Japanese Denso unit... The parts are quality. I have optional cruise control and even with my Thruxton R re-gear (sprockets) the bike purrs at 65-70mph all day. With stock gearing 6th is a definite OD but with my current Thrux-R gearing even at 80nph the motor is churning at 3800RPM. 60MPH cruising the bike will yield mid 50'MPG

The fuel injection is Kehin with ride by wire. Two fuel maps for rain and road. Also traction and wheelie control with full ABS comes standard on any water cooled Bonneville... Cruise Control is an option on which I highly recommend.

USB power source is also located under the seat with heated grips standard on all Bonnevilles...

I have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty on mine. I did have an issue with my radiator in which Triumph happily agreed to fix.

One of the best bikes I've ridden... Reminds me of my Gen 1 FZ1 in allot of ways (except not as fast past 120mph). True modern standard Motorcycle...

More than happy to answer any more Qs
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I truly enjoyed my '03 FZ1. Most fault-free, reliable and near perfect bike I've ever owned.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a 37 year old GS with far North of 60K showing, and I'm not even close to worrying about taking it anywhere, any distance. There are low miles, well cared for examples available for 20-25% the cost of a newer bike. It's just a case of which way do you want to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X