No announcement yet.

Damn the leaves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh,man! That's a good "heads-up!" I don't think of it much this time of year but on southern Vancouver island, it's the Arbutus leaves. They fall off in summer and are very strong and slippery when dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      oh,man! That's a good "heads-up!" I don't think of it much this time of year but on southern Vancouver island, it's the Arbutus leaves. They fall off in summer and are very strong and slippery when dry.
      You know things aren't what they used to be when a big bad leaf jumps off the ground and kicks your ass. I guess my big bad biker image is gone now. LOL Coming up on 4 weeks since the "hit" and breathing is still not fun.
      Last edited by earlfor; 07-29-2018, 12:36 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just read this. Damn. Just from a little patch of leaves?
        I hate leaves. I spent $15,000 and re-landscaped my yard to a "no maintenance" desert landscaping. Moved 48 tons of rock, gravel and plants and moved two discs in my back. Finishing the job became life and death (think Chevy Chase movie). So proud of myself when done. No more mowing, raking, edging.....just some LIGHT leaf removal from time to time because of nearby "drought resistant" trees the HOA forced on the neighborhood when new. Turns out the trees have a disease (leaf drop) that makes them shed leaves like I'm losing my hair and sanity. Putting in the yard nearly broke my back and now the constant leaf pickup is trying to finish the job. I know this may be funny to read but I'm all out of laughs. I hate leaves.
        Just felt I should share this with you Earl. Maybe give you a laugh, subtle laugh that is. Watch the ribs.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          I hate leaves.
          I understand your leaf viewpoint. LOL I'm guessing I have about 100+ oak trees on my lot and when the pollen is raining down, the ground is gold from it. Cleaning up the leaves isn't possible. heh

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I hate leaves. I spent $15,000 and re-landscaped my yard to a "no maintenance" desert landscaping. Moved 48 tons of rock, gravel and plants and moved two discs in my back. Finishing the job became life and death (think Chevy Chase movie). So proud of myself when done. No more mowing, raking, edging.....just some LIGHT leaf removal from time to time because of nearby "drought resistant" trees the HOA forced on the neighborhood when new. Turns out the trees have a disease (leaf drop) that makes them shed leaves like I'm losing my hair and sanity. Putting in the yard nearly broke my back and now the constant leaf pickup is trying to finish the job. I know this may be funny to read but I'm all out of laughs. I hate leaves.
            Just felt I should share this with you Earl. Maybe give you a laugh, subtle laugh that is. Watch the ribs.
            Leaf blower?
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              Leaf blower?
              Wish it was that easy.
              I bought two different leaf blowers with vacuum. One is battery powered and very light weight, so it's convenient to use but cannot get ALL the leaves out of the rocks/gravel. The other blower/vac is more powerful and will start tossing the gravel if I set it too high. It's vacuum is stronger but I still cannot get all the leaves out because the wind kind of jams them into the rocks and gravel so you have to remove many of them by hand. Believe me, I've tried everything and there's no perfect solution.
              I hate leaves.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Leaf blower?
                I think that would create pollen-a-geddon. LOL

Comment

Sorry to hear of incident. I had among other items, 4 broken ribs and a collar bone when I hit a deer. When I found the pain from not being able to go to the bathroom worse than what it was curing due to taking Oxy for the pain, I resorted to acupuncture which I had used for years due to back issues. Worked very well, no side effects. Still had to take ancetometafin/codine, but i got rid of the oxy and by 2 weeks I was off all prescription meds. Meditation worked well also. Problem was when buddies came over to see me and made me laugh with funny stories.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                    Sorry to hear of incident. I had among other items, 4 broken ribs and a collar bone when I hit a deer. When I found the pain from not being able to go to the bathroom worse than what it was curing due to taking Oxy for the pain, I resorted to acupuncture which I had used for years due to back issues. Worked very well, no side effects. Still had to take ancetometafin/codine, but i got rid of the oxy and by 2 weeks I was off all prescription meds. Meditation worked well also. Problem was when buddies came over to see me and made me laugh with funny stories.
                    Four ribs AND a broken collarbone, I am certain I never want to find out what that is like. LOL

Comment

Wish it was that easy.
                      I bought two different leaf blowers with vacuum. One is battery powered and very light weight, so it's convenient to use but cannot get ALL the leaves out of the rocks/gravel. The other blower/vac is more powerful and will start tossing the gravel if I set it too high. It's vacuum is stronger but I still cannot get all the leaves out because the wind kind of jams them into the rocks and gravel so you have to remove many of them by hand. Believe me, I've tried everything and there's no perfect solution.
                      I hate leaves.
                      I gotcha covered. An XM42-M personal flame thrower, sadly you'll have to get off the porch to use it. California requires them to have a limiter nozzle installed keeping down the distance to only ten feet.

GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I'll have to test it at Earl's place.

Comment

I wanna watch, I can be there in 2 hours. It's not like Earl can do anything to stop you.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I wanna watch, I can be there in 2 hours. It's not like Earl can do anything to stop you.
                            Ha!! That would be fun!
                            Wish I was as close as you. I'd like to meet Earl someday. Just a tad too far to go. And I hear his place is kind of messy anyway.....leaves and stuff all over the place.

Comment

The next thing you would have to do is call in smoke jumpers for the woods fires. Considering my neighbor's cows, I'd be surrounded by flames and roast beef. LOL
                              Last edited by earlfor; 07-31-2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                The next thing you would have to do is call in smoke jumpers for the woods fires. LOL
                                Isn't your place all swampy with all the rain we've had this year? I recently picked up a Toro zero turn and actually got it stuck in the back yard Sunday it's so wet. Those zero turns are a lot heavier than lawn tractors.
                                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X