Gs1100es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    +1 on posting pics, we can pretty much disassemble a bike with the power of our minds here.....the es is a terrific bike, not sure if I will ever be able to let mine go...
    Count on it. Thanks guys

Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Early 1100E's would sometimes twist their crank, particularly if ridden/launched hard. The 1983 1100E engine is black and comes with a welded crank so no trouble. The early engines also had a smaller taper holding the flywheel on and sometimes those come loose too. Again, with a 1983 model year bike that won't be an issue though. Just make sure what you're getting.
      I believe 1980 was the only year with the small crankshaft ends.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        I believe 1980 was the only year with the small crankshaft ends.
        1980,1981,1982(most of)

Apparently, there are some big end welded crank 82's around near the end of the production run.

Comment

I got some more details on it.....going to see it on Wednesday. It IS a 1983, it's been repainted black (he said it wasn't wrecked, just repainted - he said the guy he bought it from painted all of his bikes black....and his car, and his HOUSE. And eventually shot himself - OK). He's the 2nd owner and the bike has (from his memory - it's buried in the garage so I'll get the real number hopefully on Wednesday) 26k miles on it. Not a horrible amount. He said it needs carb work and tires, both not surprising. I'm sure a battery (and chain/sprockets, fluids, etc) are also on that list. If it looks decent and everything fits when I see it in person, I'll buy it. The other bike he has in a 96 Kawasaki ZL600, and some type of moped. I'll buy them all if the price is right.

Warner

Comment

PS - He sent me a photo of the title....it's definitely listed as an ES on the title....

Comment

26K miles is still relatively low.

As mentioned most things are fairly minor unless the engine was blown which is very rare as they are bulletproof.

More often things like the clutch rattle which can sound horrible at idle but only require tightening of the clutch hub(nut replacement preferred).

If the electronic tach is out that can be a pain.

If you want to restore to factory colors (best) then the two color paint is more expensive.

The harness is unobtainium so hopefully, it has not been hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

If you want to restore to factory colors (best) then the two color paint is more expensive.
                ...but at least the stock decal set is now available from diablocycle.com
                This 30 piece decal set includes all graphics for the fairing, windscreen, fuel tank, side panels and rear cowl. We have designed this kit to accurately replicate the original 1983 GS1100ES graphics. The stripes are pearl white and black with blue on the edges where they overlap the...
                sigpic
                1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Thanks again guys, I'm hoping to have some good news on Wednesday night.

Warner

Comment

Couple more tidbits before I see the bike tomorrow. It has the stock exhaust, but an aftermarket oil cooler has been added. Assuming this thing is what we think it is, and it's all in acceptable condition, what's a fair price range for a bike like this? I know that's a bit of a loaded question sight-unseen, I'm just looking for a range of where you guys would start and end price wise.

Thanks again,

Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Webbie1 View Post
                      Couple more tidbits before I see the bike tomorrow. It has the stock exhaust, but an aftermarket oil cooler has been added. Assuming this thing is what we think it is, and it's all in acceptable condition, what's a fair price range for a bike like this? I know that's a bit of a loaded question sight-unseen, I'm just looking for a range of where you guys would start and end price wise.

Thanks again,

Warner
                      For me, a lot rides on the condition of the exhaust. If it's really nice, it's worth extra for sure. A new V&H exhaust is $500 and so I'd place the value of a nice stock exhaust over that. If it's rough then that sucks because it can't be fixed for all practical purposes. I paid $1450 for mine in pretty good shape with a very nice stock exhaust but sitting for a long time and needing pretty much everything gone over--"an easy $1,000-$1,500 in tires, brakes, brake lines, stator, R/R, suspension, and lots and lots of time" as I said previously plus the chain, sprocket and battery as you also mentioned. If the paint is nicely done in black, that's not as good as stock but not horrible either, but if it's rattle canned or dipped in flat black then --price goes down!

So if it's a keeper with a decent exhaust (one that you won't be anxious to replace)--but needing all those things on the list, I'd say $1,500 to $2,000 depending on how bad you want to stop looking and get one now. Rough exhaust, crummy paint and the price goes down and down some more. Dented tank is a major markdown for me too.

Just my opinion for what that's worth but I've had one since 2014 and have kept an eye on the market since. The one nearby for $2900 (SF bay area) didn't last long but it was a time capsule--very clean and very low mileage so even though it would need plenty of attention and upgrading, it had potential to be a show stopper once completed.

Also keep in mind that the little flyscreen is about $120 to replace. I believe I saw someone offering them aftermarket for about that.

Sure hope that helps some.
                      Last edited by glib; 08-07-2018, 01:27 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                        For me, a lot rides on the condition of the exhaust. If it's really nice, it's worth extra for sure. A new V&H exhaust is $500 and so I'd place the value of a nice stock exhaust over that. If it's rough then that sucks because it can't be fixed for all practical purposes. I paid $1450 for mine in pretty good shape with a very nice stock exhaust but sitting for a long time and needing pretty much everything gone over--"an easy $1,000-$1,500 in tires, brakes, brake lines, stator, R/R, suspension, and lots and lots of time" as I said previously plus the chain, sprocket and battery as you also mentioned. If the paint is nicely done in black, that's not as good as stock but not horrible either, but if it's rattle canned or dipped in flat black then --price goes down!

So if it's a keeper with a decent exhaust (one that you won't be anxious to replace)--but needing all those things on the list, I'd say $1,500 to $2,000 depending on how bad you want to stop looking and get one now. Rough exhaust, crummy paint and the price goes down and down some more. Dented tank is a major markdown for me too.

Just my opinion for what that's worth but I've had one since 2014 and have kept an eye on the market since. The one nearby for $2900 (SF bay area) didn't last long but it was a time capsule--very clean and very low mileage so even though it would need plenty of attention and upgrading, it had potential to be a show stopper once completed.

Also keep in mind that the little flyscreen is about $120 to replace. I believe I saw someone offering them aftermarket for about that.

Sure hope that helps some.

Awesome and helpful response! Thanks....I will pay attention to those things in particular. And of course, I'll get pictures to share with the group here.

Warner

Comment

it's the real deal / been sitting / 26K / non-original paint / lotsa maintenance needed .... $700 max!
                          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
                            it's the real deal / been sitting / 26K / non-original paint / lotsa maintenance needed .... $700 max!
                            How many GS1100ES's have you seen sell in that price range?

Comment

Originally posted by Webbie1 View Post
                              How many GS1100ES's have you seen sell in that price range?

Almost no running GS1100E is below $1000. 1983 GS1100ED is typically not below $1400 and probably a 1983 GS1100ESD is going to be more $1700, but it also depends on condition. Most of these are going to be non-oem repainted prices.

Comment

yeah, 700 would be a miracle deal for the esd.
                                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                                X