Gs1100es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    yeah, 700 would be a miracle deal for the esd.
    my bad, I thought he'd said not running and painted black!
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

He mentioned, been sitting for years, repainted black, and needs EVERYTHING. My opinion, don't care WHAT model it is, $700 would be a fair offer. I would not go much higher. Others might as they are specifically seeking that particular model. I would take the engine, and sell the carcass to you guys, lol...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        He mentioned, been sitting for years, repainted black, and needs EVERYTHING. My opinion, don't care WHAT model it is, $700 would be a fair offer. I would not go much higher. Others might as they are specifically seeking that particular model. I would take the engine, and sell the carcass to you guys, lol...
        In fairness, I haven't SEEN the bike yet, so as far as "needing everything", I think one could say that about any bike that's carbureted and been sitting for any length of time. Nothing magical about this bike in that respect. I'm sure it needs a battery and tires....again, like any bike that's been sitting for years. It would be a miracle if the carbs didn't need to be rebuilt. What I DON'T expect is to get a box of parts that have to be reassembled. I'm expecting the "normal" stuff you have to do with most used bikes - Tires, Battery, fluids. Beyond that I'd be guessing. Trust me when I tell you guys that I'll be trying to buy it as cheaply as I can, but I question how many have actually found these old GSE's, in ANY condition, for $700. Maybe it happens.....but I'd love to hear some stories of that happening. Looks like I won't find out until after the 21st, as the guy is leaving for Europe. But the bike's not going anywhere in that timeframe, so the additional time actually works in my favor.

Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Webbie1 View Post
          In fairness, I haven't SEEN the bike yet, so as far as "needing everything", I think one could say that about any bike that's carbureted and been sitting for any length of time. Nothing magical about this bike in that respect. I'm sure it needs a battery and tires....again, like any bike that's been sitting for years. It would be a miracle if the carbs didn't need to be rebuilt. What I DON'T expect is to get a box of parts that have to be reassembled. I'm expecting the "normal" stuff you have to do with most used bikes - Tires, Battery, fluids. Beyond that I'd be guessing. Trust me when I tell you guys that I'll be trying to buy it as cheaply as I can, but I question how many have actually found these old GSE's, in ANY condition, for $700. Maybe it happens.....but I'd love to hear some stories of that happening. Looks like I won't find out until after the 21st, as the guy is leaving for Europe. But the bike's not going anywhere in that timeframe, so the additional time actually works in my favor.

Warner
          I have bought three GS1100EDs from the Central Coast of CA,

#1: The one I rebuilt was stock paint Yoshi ,4:1,Pods, BS36 ground off tach gear. Reasonable clean (no rust) running and rideable bike $1400 in 2007
          #2: Beater sitting outside divorce situation painted UGLY yellow 60K miles. Not running $250; It ran and the motor was pulled for another bike. The engine was worth $500 but the woman just wanted it gone. (2009)
          #3: Pretty nice bike, had been sitting 5+ years 15K miles Painted blue. $500 not running but fired right up after carb cleaning; basically all stock. Guy delivered it to me in the back of a pickup. (2010)

Comment

My son bought a higher mileage 83 last year that ran pretty good for 300 bucks. It was that ugly dark blue so many of you like, so he painted it red. I did some patching on the bottom of the exhaust & cleaned up a couple wiring connectors. He sold it for $1100.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
              yeah, 700 would be a miracle deal for the esd.
              take the next exit ... get off that lalaland Hwy!

it's a 35yr old unoriginal (paint) bucket of bolts, gonna need lotsa work
              cool bike, had mine over 20yrs ... but not worth as much as many fellow-owners would like to think.
              Last edited by ptegsotic; 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM.
              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

if it's a spectacular black paint job, and everything's there and in good shape, but needing the obvious resurrection and all that entails ... I could see getting closer to $1000
                my 2c
                1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

lolz, few things get gsr's as butthurt as misvaluing bikes sight unseen....carry on lads...
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Somewhat minor point, but carbs are not likley to need to be "rebuilt".
                    Most likley will need to be taken apart and soaked-dipped. And replacing the o-rings probablya good idea (see cycle o-ring site).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You may want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature if you want to get some idea of all the stuff that needs to be attended to when buying a 35 year old bike. Tires, battery, chain and sprockets, full carb rebuild, brake system teardown and replacing brake lines, etc. It adds up. If you are not onboard with spending $500+ on top of the purchase price for the bike you should consider skipping old bikes entirely.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There’s an obvious difference in valuation from those who actually like these particular bikes and those who just look at them as another bike against the vast choices available. And that has to be taken into consideration because the population of enthusiasts is shrinking with time. But we’re not talking trading stocks here. No bike is a liquid investment with an instant value available from waiting buyers. Over a year’s time you can find really good deals for either buyer or seller and just fair deals for both. But in general, absent a distressed seller or over anxious buyer, I think my assessment of the market (well down the thread now) is fair.

(BTW, what’s the value of a ugly, beat up V&H exhaust that sounds mean as hell?)
                        sigpic
                        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

All valuable feedback, guys. I'm aware of what goes into getting older bikes back in the game. Not that I had to do much to it, really, but this is my 1990 Honda CBR1000F (Hurricane). I bought it a couple years ago with just 7k miles on it. It just turned over 20k last week. If I can buy the GS for ridiculously low money, and I think that I can, I will. The seller is fairly unavailable so it may take a while just to get time with him, but I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes. I appreciate everyone's time and input. Great forum here.

Warner
                          Delkevic on CBR.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X