No announcement yet.

Two motorcycles riding together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALWAYS staggered... except on the twisty roads (pick your own best/cleanest/most strategic line through the full width of the lane), or on narrow roads, a bit less staggered.
    And it is always best for the lead rider to be nearest the dotted line on the side of the adjacent lane which the lead rider is most likely to switch over to. So lead rider in the fast lane on the freeway should NEVER be in the far left position, as to change back to the slower lane(s), the lead rider would then have to cross the path of the 2nd position rider to move 1 lane to the right.
    This doesnt always work out and needs adjustments in situations where the rider can anticipate a right hand turn and may need to be hugging more closely to the shoulder on the right (USA etc), use with discretion and logic, but this works best when travelling on major routes and interstates / freeways.

Also with 6 lane freeways, the basic rule of thumb goes out the window if you are in the middle lane of 3 lanes in your direction of travel, & must be adjusted to the side of the lane which the lead rider most likely suspects they will be switching to next (exiting vs passing, or passing in slow lane if fast lane is obstructed bt a slow driver etc).

It all comes down to situational logic and reasoning...
    Last edited by Chuck78; 09-09-2018, 11:25 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Side by side for me and my bud. Live dangerously, I say.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        Side by side for me and my bud. Live dangerously, I say.
        Sidecar combos don't count....................
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I never ride directly behind anyone. I can't see things as well with another rider in the way. Not safe either if the rider in front were to go down suddenly. I can't imagine any instructor suggesting that. Maybe miss-communication?
          Harleys and old English bikes spray oil on you too.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
            I never ride directly behind anyone. I can't see things as well with another rider in the way. Not safe either if the rider in front were to go down suddenly. I can't imagine any instructor suggesting that. Maybe miss-communication?
            Harleys and old English bikes spray oil on you too.
            That and I never want anyone directly behind me either. One never knows if the person behind uses the front brake or knows how to. LOL
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Always staggered, offset with the lead bike on the left and the second bike to the right so that the lead bike can see the second bike in their right mirror. When in the second position to the right I always look to see the lead riders face in their right mirror. I have ridden in motorcades in side by side pairs for work in tight formations of up to 16 bikes with little room between pairs .... wouldn't recommend it unless you practice as a group ... a lot and are all on the same radio frequency. Evasive action, when riding in side by side pairs, to vere right can go very bad.
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982
              GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                Always staggered, offset with the lead bike on the left and the second bike to the right so that the lead bike can see the second bike in their right mirror. When in the second position to the right I always look to see the lead riders face in their right mirror. I have ridden in motorcades in side by side pairs for work in tight formations of up to 16 bikes with little room between pairs .... wouldn't recommend it unless you practice as a group ... a lot and are all on the same radio frequency. Evasive action, when riding in side by side pairs, to vere right can go very bad.
                Side by side in tight formation on the highway would make you a sitting duck and a statistic looking for a place to happen.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Agreed and why I said I wouldn't recommend it. I road doing motorcades for (police) work. We practiced a lot and it was a controlled environment. That was a few years ago, haven't road side by side since.
                  GS550T 1981
                  GS850G 1983
                  GS650G 1982
                  GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

We have always rode staggered, though when pulling up to a stop light or sign, we would always pull up next to each other in order to block anyone from trying to weasel in around us, then right back to the staggered formation when moving again.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X