What you guys like/hate about the 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    I'm still lovin' my 450... owned it since '98, rebuilt it, over 80,000kms since the rebuild and she's still going strong.

Things to hate? Well, the clutch pushrod setup I don't particularly like going through the sprocket cover, the stock carbs are painful to sort out if the diaphragms perish, and if the ignitor is dead then it can be tricky getting a replacement as that particular one was only used on a handful of models. I'm talking about the 80 - 82 models of 450 here, 83 onwards got different ignition with electronic advance and different carbs too.

Good news though is a lot of GS500 stuff will bolt straight on, like carbs, ignition, so those problems are easy fixed.

Mine gets me to work and back every day and also provides plenty of fun out in the twisties on the weekends too.
    One thing I keep harping on about the 450 is how well the 'cooling system' works. Lots of fins and air passageways and even a tendency to overcool in colder climates. That's a major reason why they last so long, along with a short and stiff crank, bucket and shim valves, 3L of oil and lack of vibration shaking the whole thing to bits like a Brit twin. Okay, the Norton Commando only shook its motor apart and left the rest isolated for future generations.

If you can get the equivalent of 50K miles on a rebuilt in a hot place like Queensland, the design can't be wrong. From a cooling standpoint its 'heaps' better than the single cam offerings from H, Y and K. Also better than the 500 that replaced it, especially the F.

And despite being labeled as a beginners/girls bike, I have guys catch up to me at the gas stop after a section of twisties wanting to know what is that thing?
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Yep, for an approaching 40 year old small capacity twin, they certainly go pretty well! A mate regularly swaps his 1260cc Kat for my 450 for a run and always comments afterwards how well it goes.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I went and looked today. It's going to take some work to get it out into the light again but from what I can see it's in nice shape. One owner, he thinks it is an 82' or 83' but title is in safety deposit box and he is going to grab it tomorrow. 1800 miles, license plate says probably parked early 1990's, sticker says 92 on the plate. He says he tried to trade in with Harley in the 90s and they were not that receptive and only offered him $250 on trade. He will let me have for same $250. Bike looks like it will clean up. Has 2 speed tranny and wire wheels, tires look new. Fair deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
          I went and looked today. It's going to take some work to get it out into the light again but from what I can see it's in nice shape. One owner, he thinks it is an 82' or 83' but title is in safety deposit box and he is going to grab it tomorrow. 1800 miles, license plate says probably parked early 1990's, sticker says 92 on the plate. He says he tried to trade in with Harley in the 90s and they were not that receptive and only offered him $250 on trade. He will let me have for same $250. Bike looks like it will clean up. Has 2 speed tranny and wire wheels, tires look new. Fair deal?
          The 450 has a six speed transmission.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah, but the 450GA has a two-speed semi-automatic.

Personally, unless you NEED the automatic transmission to compensate for some phyical handicap or disability, pass on the deal.

That is, unless you want to buy cheap, spend a bit sprucing it up a bit and sell it cheap.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Personally, unless you NEED the automatic transmission to compensate for some phyical handicap or disability, pass on the deal.

That is, unless you want to buy cheap, spend a bit sprucing it up a bit and sell it cheap.

I missed the part about it being automatic. LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My first hint was the mention in post #19 of "2 speed tranny".

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My first hint was the mention in post #19 of "2 speed tranny".

Oh well, lol, not a big demand for automatics. I would probably pass unless I had a doner bike and could swap out the engine/tranny/rear end.

Comment

I love my GS300 that has a 450 in it!!!

Is it fast? No... Is it fast enough? Yes!!!! 6-speed FTW too...
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

you see quite a few of the automatics in really good shape for some odd reason
                      Id buy it and try it out
                      find a serviceable 450 from a POS with manual tranny and swap it into the bike
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Jedz, that's a crazy looking motorcycle!! Where do you find time to work on stuff like that? You're a certified nut. haha
                        I was hoping to buy that sweet 79 425e from a guy in Detroit. We talked about it saying we'll wait till the snow melts. Then when I was ready to pick it up, he backs out of the deal. I was giving him top dollar for it too. Dang
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I hope your not indicating you need to be handicapped to enjoy riding this bike.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                          you see quite a few of the automatics in really good shape for some odd reason
                          Id buy it and try it out
                          find a serviceable 450 from a POS with manual tranny and swap it into the bike
                          This won't work. This is a shaft drive bike, the 6 speeds are all chain drive

Comment

I helped tear the shed down yesterday and hauling it off so I got $100 off the bike. I figured $150 can't go too far wrong. I'll bring it home tonight after I empty the trailer. Bike looks like nice, I am hoping fresh gas, new plugs and it fires right up!

Comment

pics please and coongrats that will be a fun thing to work on
                              I had no idea they were shaft drive but no greasy chain is a bonus.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

its seems to share driveline parts with the larger and one assume more powerful 650
                                pretty much overengineered forr the 450
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X