Totally dead - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
    So, although the visible check on the fuses seemed all was ok this furs had failed in unexpected manner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56374[/ATTACH]

So i do I have my electrics back, now on to the initial problem... why did I lose power, which I suspect was the failure of a coil leaving me running on two cylinders.

ill test that theory when I have a bit more time by looking for a spark.
    The fuse that was faulty was likely the one the ignition circuit was on.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

So, although the visible check on the fuses seemed all was ok this furs had failed in unexpected manner.

..............k.
      Ah, so the fuse failed just because the fuse failed (not due to excessive high current).

If that is/was the main fuse (15 A); that would explain the "lost all power" after the bike shut off.

If that was the Ignition fuse (10 A); that would explain why the engine quit.

Now: describe better the situation now that have replaced the fuse.

Good that you have a volt meter.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes it was the 15amp main fuse. With this replaced I have power, checked sparks at all 4 plugs and all seem fine. Started bike and seemed ok. Went for a short ride - not too far, didn’t want to get stuck far from home. Bike seemed to be all ok, had power as normal.

Could the breakdown of this fues cause the symptoms described? I guess it broke but electricity was still able to arc across as the bike was already running, although power was interrupted and not able to maintain a strong spark. When I stopped it was no longer to sustain flow and I lost everything... sound feesible or not?

My biggest issue is reliability, I like to use the bike for work which is 30 miles away if I can’t trust the bike to get me there and back then there’s no point having it. I’m happy to carry more spare fuses and if this happened again I’d know the fix. but I’m worried there’s going to be a grater under lying issue. Yes it’s nearly 40 years old but know plenty on here use their bikes daily.

Comment

Yes it was the 15amp main fuse. With this replaced I have power, checked sparks at all 4 plugs and all seem fine. Started bike and seemed ok. Went for a short ride - not too far, didn’t want to get stuck far from home. Bike seemed to be all ok, had power as normal.

Could the breakdown of this fues cause the symptoms described? I guess it broke but electricity was still able to arc across as the bike was already running, although power was interrupted and not able to maintain a strong spark. When I stopped it was no longer to sustain flow and I lost everything... sound feesible or not?

My biggest issue is reliability, I like to use the bike for work which is 30 miles away if I can’t trust the bike to get me there and back then there’s no point having it. I’m happy to carry more spare fuses and if this happened again I’d know the fix. but I’m worried there’s going to be a grater under lying issue. Yes it’s nearly 40 years old but know plenty on here use their bikes daily.
          A) Don't skimp on maintenance, then the bike will carry you for a long time and many miles.
          B) If you have to rely so much on a bike, have a back-up bike and alternate between the two.

The symptoms described are indeed possible with a fuse that is breaking down and only making contact every other combustion cycle.

Also, carry an emergency clutch cable.

On my 550s, the only thing I've had fail due to age were clutch cables, bulbs, and R/R's. In terms of (recurring) maintenance, I've only replaced oil, cleaned carbs and adjusted valves, but I've been a bad boy with all the other stuff, and on top of that I've had spills with both bikes. Still, they always carried me from A to B.

Having more than one running bike gives one more flexibility when it comes to addressing issues.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Most likely that fuse had been in there forever and vibration eventually cracked the glass on it. After that, failure was a certainty. I would carry some spare 20 amp fuses just in case. A spare clutch cable is a good thing to have also.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you . Sometimes it's the simple things that are wrong like a fuse, and not the big problems that your brain jumps to.
              sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Working...
              X