Fuel tap mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking Honda!
    What snow flying? I see 13 and sunny for mid-week Edmonton.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Nice looking Honda!
      What snow flying? I see 13 and sunny for mid-week Edmonton.
      Yep, thats this week, next week will be different..........I only got back from New Zealand a few weeks ago and damn I miss those winding roads, half sane drivers, driving on the left..............
      I found out what my GS problem was, maybe before I had gotten too excited I should have checked the carbs more closely - stripping the carbs revealed one main jet laying in the bottom of the float bowl, all four pilot jets clogged solid with dead fuel crap and grunge....so its back together tomorrow and off for a blast around the block after lunch when it warms up to a merely toasty 11 degrees or so.
      Livin' the dream..........one warm day at a time so they say.

Comment

Just buy a new stock petcock and go riding. I would buy the Suzuki one, I've tired a couple aftermarkets designed like the stock one, for some reason they didn't last the 20+ years like the factory one. Rebuilding is a gamble too, failure rate is really high on the kits.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

yes indeed

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Just buy a new stock petcock and go riding. I would buy the Suzuki one, I've tired a couple aftermarkets designed like the stock one, for some reason they didn't last the 20+ years like the factory one. Rebuilding is a gamble too, failure rate is really high on the kits.
          Ok, a dose of common sense and some dedicated time to the cause has solved 99% of my problems.
          I pulled the carbs and found that one main jet was laying in the bottom of the bowl. as well I acquired another main jet laying on top of the engine behind the cylinder block, so my guess is the former owner tried to clean the jets, dropped one and then didnt properly install the replacement. Obviously he tried to stuff it up through the drain plug and when he missed the main jet thread couldnt be bothered to retrieve it and fix it properly......
          I checked the float height, cleaned everything else, unblocked three pilot jets, soaked everything in dishwasher mix [ a dishwasher tab in a cup of hot water] overnight, stopped the fuel leak from the new hose I had installed and forgot to put a clamp on, reinstalled the carbs and all seemed pretty well with the world in general terms. I reset the camchain, turned the silly fuel tap to prime with my little screwdriver and started 'er up.........Engine sounds very nice, ye har!!!!
          Now Im stripping everything and painting the bike and new handlebar fairing in Wes Cooley replica blue and white. New alcantara blue seat cover, tyres and chain and sprockets and colour coded [dark blue] braided brake lines F & R will go on while Im doing the paint.
          wish me luck.....

Comment

Glad you got the carbs sorted even though i am very surprised that something as mild as soapy hot water did the trick.
            Your bike so 100% you get to choose how it looks BUT i like black seat covers. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Wes Cooley colours

Glad you got the carbs sorted even though i am very surprised that something as mild as soapy hot water did the trick.
              Your bike so 100% you get to choose how it looks BUT i like black seat covers. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
              So I forgot to ask, does anyone out there have any idea what the colours were that created the Wes Cooley replica? I suspect Im gonna have to wing it......
              Actually it was a dishwasher tablet and a cup of hot water - that will shift anything.......................
              Thanks
              Al

Comment

The paint codes and decal positioning for a GS1000S will be on the site somewhere.
                I would do a search for that info from site member Chuck Hahn.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

new paint

The paint codes and decal positioning for a GS1000S will be on the site somewhere.
                  I would do a search for that info from site member Chuck Hahn.
                  Here's my take on the Wes Cooley paint job I did for my 1980 GS1100E.......IMG_3820.jpg

Comment

and moreIMG_3822.JPG

Comment

and moreIMG_3823.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X