Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical

Hi there

I am new to the group and I have a suzuki gs 550 L 1981 model. The bike will not start, it tick over but will not fire up . So I started investigating, I checked the spark plugs and replaced them, i checked the coil all good, I replaced the point to electrical point and heres where it get interesting according to dyna 3 instrusction when you check the dead point center the electric prob bulb should be off until u dead point center but mine when I try to investigate I turn the engin on and the prob bulb it's own all times. So I am at dead end again not knowing why. I checked and re checked with no joy. Is their anyone came cross same issue, any pointers will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks med .

Hi, Momed. I don't have a dyna 3 but first,what I would do, is try a search in the Electrical/Ignition forum. Otherwise, I'll stick my neck out and say that your symptom
    I turn the engin on and the prob bulb it's own all times
    explains why you get no spark. The coils' power MUST be interrupted to create the spark and I think you are on the right track to find the problem. As to what the exact issue is, well...

Comment

Momed,
      Welcome to GSR.

When you say "tick over", I gather than means you are British....? other Eurpoean...? ANd that means the starter motor doesturn the engine over, if I understand properly.
      Check battery voltage while cranking it over?

Visually observe spark on the plugs?

When you say "checked coils", what did you check...?
      Primary ohms? Secondary ohms? with or without the plug caps?
      Check the ohms of the spark plug caps?
      Stock coils...? Dyna coils...?

Did it ever run with the Dyna conversion....?
      Or are you doing the dyna converstion now in attempt to fix whatever the problem is....?

Are pickups the mechanical breaker points..? Can you see them opening closing...?

Assuming is mehanical breaker points: Have condensor....? Tried the test lamp with the condensor(s) disconnected....?

Last edited by Redman; 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
      X