Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me so thankful for my GS

brit bikes by Roger, on Flickr
    Last edited by Burque73; 12-28-2018, 02:04 PM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    I don't see anything.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      I don't see anything.
      Sorry, I thought it showed up. After a hundred or so clicks, maybe this will work.

brit bikes by Roger, on Flickr
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

That's too funny!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Plus, he only mentioned "hammer" twice. (If you can't fix it with a hammer, you're not using a big enough hammer.)

I never rode a Norton, but I loved the Commandos because of the ads in early 1970's "Cycle Worlds". The girls in hot pants didn't hurt either!

Reminds me of a fairly recent article in the mag about a writer having a minor stroke trying to kick start his old Triumph. His doctor told him, "you know, they make these with push button starters now." So he bought a new model Bonneville. Electric starting? OK by me. Liquid cooling? No way. The only radiator I tolerate on my old beast is a small oil cooler up front. It doesn't block the view of all those beautiful parts.

To each his own. But that didn't sound like such a "grand day out." And classics? I've owned a Honda CB350, a Kawasaki 900 Z1, and now a Suzi GS1100e. Those will get you a little farther than a mile or two down the road.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That is greatness. It reminded me of some of the old abused bikes I had as a kid.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

cruel, but awful funny...!

Comment

Jeez. The Commando's, along with the Interstate and others, were complete garbage. The Commando was produced for 11 years and many of it's worst first year problems still existed in the last year, showing how the British learn from mistakes.
                It vibrated ridiculously. Can you imagine vibration destroying the carbs? It did. There were many reports of fires because the Amal's float valves leaked from vibration and the points were located under the carbs where the fuel would flood them. Main bearing failures, pistons destroying themselves, pathetic electrical system, center stands that dragged on the ground and kickstands breaking off, speedometer cables almost as long as the bike that tore themselves apart along with the tach cable, rattling seats, clutches that couldn't handle the engine torque.....it would be easier to make a list of things that actually worked.
                And to think some magazine (I forget) actually made it bike of the year?
                Funny story and so true.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

With your old Suzuki GS's running so well for so long, don't get smug and forget due diligence maintenance.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Get a good look at these Brit bikes

Ok, enjoy how the camera takes a close look at each engine, real Brit engineering here…
                    (500cc and only 3.5 HP????)))
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Love that story. Reminds me of riding with a buddy in the Air Force in 1974 Charleston South Carolina. He had a 69 pan head that was almost as bad. I had a 74 GT 750 that of course ran flawlessly. Following him on the way to Florida numerous small parts fell off,it died for unknown reasons only to restart fairly reasonably. I rode it for a stretch and grew to hate it. Looked cool as hell though. Love my Japanese bikes.

Comment

lol, good stuff there. good LOOKING bike, anyway!
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

500 cc and 3.5 hp?

Yep, it was 1912
                          The year before, Indian swept the Isle of Man TT with 1,000 cc Powerplus models of 9 hp
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I almost choked on my lunch reading that ! ! ! I thought it was going to be a serious article, about a great afternoon ride! LMAO ! ! ! That is some funny $hit. I had a '72 Iron Head 1000 Harley, many years ago. Was punched and stroked out to a 1250cc, with a 5 degree rake. Was setup for drag. Most hateful bike I have EVER owned. Would spend an hour minimum just getting it ready and started to even think about riding it. But, boy when it ran... Fastest, scariest Harley I have ever been on, lol. Broke my ankle, and shattered 3 bones in my foot trying to kick start it, the LAST time I tried to ride that dam thing. Sold it just as soon as I could walk out to the garage to show it...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Ouch...
                              my cousin had old sportster he bought to flip. I tried to kickstart it and just the opposite happened to me. The mechanism didn’t catch and I rammed my foot with full force into the ground. My ankle and knee hurt for a bit, but nothing like that. That was the first and last time I tried.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X