1100 or 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 or 1150

Most of the big bike talk in here seems to revolve around the 1000-1100 stuff. When the 1150 came out it was the big bad8ass deal for brute power and performance. Which do you think has better stood the test of time, the 16 valve 1100's or the 1150's.

Yeah, Suzuki really didn't find it's (rightful) way into the popular collectible category. KZ's, and Honda's for some reason are astronomically expensive, and keep going up. But the Yamaha's, and our beloved GS's... I'm torn between loving that they are affordable, and angry that the world doesn't love them enough, lol...
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Agreed with Spyder’s feelings on the mixed feelings about value. I had an 83 1100e In the mid 90s.
      I absolutely loved it, and it is responsible for my love of both Suzuki and torquey literbikes. I think the 82-3
      1100e is one of the best looking Suzukis.

The 1150e is simply beautiful to me. I foolishly sold a nearly perfect one.

With my ongoing work on going thru the monoshock and it's many moving parts on my ES, I can't say that I love it, but it and the 16 inch front wheel have been fine for my generally moderate, not over the top street riding.

The 1150 is more buzzy then the 1100.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        I think the 82-3
        1100e is one of the best looking Suzukis.
        Here here!

Adding weights to the grips to deal with vibes? Bad vibes. 16" wheel, big rectangular console? Nah, nah.

I think isleoman nailed it. It's what you lusted after when you were 15 years old.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

"If you were lucky your 1150 put out 115 to 120hp new and your 1100 put out 105."

As if that's slow? Those bikes were beasts at the top of the game. 10 and low 11 second quarters are thrilling and never "slow".

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            "If you were lucky your 1150 put out 115 to 120hp new and your 1100 put out 105."

As if that's slow? Those bikes were beasts at the top of the game. 10 and low 11 second quarters are thrilling and never "slow".
            Well, it's been almost 7 years since Kawasaki won back the quarter mile crown (which it still holds) with a (computer corrected) time of 9.4 secs.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

As Isleoman touched on, pretty much any tangible measurement of value / performance favors a newer bike. I am not in it for that though. I love these old machines and their inherent simplicity. When I got my 1100e it was already 10 or 11 years old - just an old bike and already a dinosaur in the performance race. Even then I loved it's simple, clean visual and mechanical presence. These are the cycle version of old muscle cars to me. I happen to love those as well.

To this day whacking the throttle open on my 1150 and running thru some gears still makes giddy. Plus I can park it in the garage, enjoy an after ride beverage and enjoy taking in its looks. That's the value for me.

I care not that a current 600cc Supersport could easily beat it....

Back on topic a bit though... given equal condition, 1100e bikes seem to sell for a bit more. I think the GS series was old hat and eclipsed by the upcoming GSXR range when the 1150 came out.

I have seen pristine 1150s sell on ebay in the 3k range which kills me.... because I didn't have 3k.....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
              X