Engine mounting bolt and shock bolt issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine mounting bolt and shock bolt issues

Howdy. I've had my GS850G for roughly 6 months. I recently started going through it and took off the luggage rack and the engine guards. Once those were off some of the nuts and bolts that those pieces were fitted to didn't quite fit right.
    Here are the specific examples.

In regards to the luggage rack, as you can see, now that it's gone there's quite a bit of space between the bushing and the nut. Do I need a spacer of some kind?

[IMG][/IMG]

In regards to the engine mounting bolt, I took off the engine guards and now the bolt doesn't get tight enough. In fact it seems to long, end of the bolt doesn't go any further, hits a wall. The right side, pictured here, even has a spacer in it. The left side has the same issue, too long. Should I use spacers of some kind or should I get shorter bolts? Would love to hear your suggestions.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Look on the microfisch for the proper bolt length on the motor mount. if wrong one gets used it can bottom out on engine case and puncture the case. Look also at shock mounts for proper washer spacing on shocks
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Needs a spacer behind the shocker, and a "taller" dome nut. (acorn nut) As in side is longer = more thread= goes further on. The lower engine mount bolt, just get a shorter one. Or cut 4mm off the thread?
      gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
      gs850g 1980
      Previously owned
      gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
      gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

Yes you should have a couple of washers between the shock and frame; check the fiche to verify how many for certain
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          In regards to the luggage rack, as you can see, now that it's gone there's quite a bit of space between the bushing and the nut. Do I need a spacer of some kind?

In regards to the engine mounting bolt, I took off the engine guards and now the bolt doesn't get tight enough. In fact it seems to long, end of the bolt doesn't go any further, hits a wall.
          For the shocks, the factory arrangement has a series of washers to put the shock in a vertical position, yet allow for installation of accessories. There are two different washers. One has a hole just large enough to slip over the threads, the other size can slip over the shoulder. A total of four or five washers is required, but there is no reason you couldn't use a spacer of the proper size.

As far as the lower bolts are concerned, I hope you didn't use any gorilla-torque on them when they hit "the wall".
          That "wall" is the side of the crankcase. If you crank down on that bolt, you can punch a hole in the crankcase. Repair is NOT easy.

I would heartily recommend one of two things.
          1. Put the engine guards back on. If the ones you took off are damaged, get some new ones and put them on.
          2. Get new bolts. Yes, you can use washers or spacers, but somewhere down the line, one of them will be dropped without being noticed, and then you torque down on the bolt, as usual, and punch that hole, anyway.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

BE EXTREMEMLY EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Bolts ARE NOT the same length on each side. If you go in too far you WILL pop a hole in the crankcase. Either use a few washers or get new bolts the PROPER lengths..but under no circumstances tighten anything untill you are 1000% certain the end of the bolts can not touch the engine.

There should be washers on the frame side and the acorn nut side for the shocks. Eyeball so the shock is straight up and down in relation to the swing arm mount.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              For the shocks, the factory arrangement has a series of washers to put the shock in a vertical position, yet allow for installation of accessories. There are two different washers. One has a hole just large enough to slip over the threads, the other size can slip over the shoulder. A total of four or five washers is required, but there is no reason you couldn't use a spacer of the proper size.

As far as the lower bolts are concerned, I hope you didn't use any gorilla-torque on them when they hit "the wall".
              That "wall" is the side of the crankcase. If you crank down on that bolt, you can punch a hole in the crankcase. Repair is NOT easy.

I would heartily recommend one of two things.
              1. Put the engine guards back on. If the ones you took off are damaged, get some new ones and put them on.
              2. Get new bolts. Yes, you can use washers or spacers, but somewhere down the line, one of them will be dropped without being noticed, and then you torque down on the bolt, as usual, and punch that hole, anyway.

Don't worry guys, I didn't try and force the engine mount bolts. I realized pretty quickly that something was wrong and backed the bolts off. Although, reading your replies sent me to the garage first thing this morning to feel around where the bolts meet the crankcase JUST to make sure no damage had been done. I suppose I would've noticed a puddle of oil under the bike had a bolt punctured, but felt better given it a feel. It's all good, can't even feel a dimple.

In regards to getting new bolts, I have a great hardware store nearby that has a good bulk section of nuts and bolts of all kinds and sizes. Can you tell me, what type of bolt to look for? I don't want to get the wrong kind, I know different bolts have different types of threading, etc.

In regards to the shock mounting, I checked out the microfiche on Bike Bandit. The stock washers and nuts seem to be available and not expensive, I might as well order them.
              Last edited by RustyTank; 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM.
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                BE EXTREMEMLY EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Bolts ARE NOT the same length on each side. If you go in too far you WILL pop a hole in the crankcase. Either use a few washers or get new bolts the PROPER lengths..but under no circumstances tighten anything untill you are 1000% certain the end of the bolts can not touch the engine.
                Yea, I'll be sure before I tighten the bolts. You're right to offer caution, there's very little room for error down there. I can see how someone might puncture the crankcase. Thanks Chuck.
                Ryan

Comment

Do yourself a favor and ignore Bike Bandit. They are the second-most-expensive vendor out there and they use their own parts numbers that don’t match Suzuki’s numbers.

One of the forum favorites is Parts Outlaw. Find that lower engine mount bolt, look at the number. After the hyphen, the first two digits are the bolt diameter, the next two are the length. There is no indication there to show thread pitch, but you are looking for FINE thread.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Do yourself a favor and ignore Bike Bandit. They are the second-most-expensive vendor out there and they use their own parts numbers that don’t match Suzuki’s numbers.

One of the forum favorites is Parts Outlaw. Find that lower engine mount bolt, look at the number. After the hyphen, the first two digits are the bolt diameter, the next two are the length. There is no indication there to show thread pitch, but you are looking for FINE thread.

Copy that that boss
                    Ryan

Comment

At home now, using a real computer. Looking at the part numbers, I see that they are both M10 bolts, the right side is 60mm long, the left side is 50mm.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

At home now, using a real computer. Looking at the part numbers, I see that they are both M10 bolts, the right side is 60mm long, the left side is 50mm.

Superb information Steve. Thank you. I'll head out this weekend and try to find it. In the meantime, I'll order those washers and what not from Parts Outlaw. Again, thanks everyone.
                        Ryan

Comment

Working...
                        X