bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike won't start

So i think my battery is pretty old and dead, giving me the same ticking over issues as a car, like just not engaging or turning over, and doing it less and less the more i tried, so i hooked it up to my car to jump it, it seemed to try to turn over more but still not enough to start. what's happening here?

One other method: the "bump" start.

Ignition on, in neutral, get her rolling down a hill (level ground if you've got a couple of buddies), hop on and pop her into gear. If it's just your starter not turning with enough oomph, that should do it. Motorcycles and cars of a certain age.

"...pop her into gear." - which gear? That opens up a whole new thread of opinions. Some go high, I go low (first), but I think any gear can work.

Good luck!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by andyturner87 View Post
      ..., so i hooked it up to my car to jump it, ...
      Hopefully you did that with the car NOT running.

If the starter is turning sluggishly while connected to the car battery (NOT running), the starter might need some refreshing.

And, ... it would be REAL handy to know whether we are discussing your BSA or your Zundapp.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't know I could bump start the thing like a car! I will try that when I get some people over.
        What is zundapp or bsa?
        And how might I refresh my start motor?

Comment

Update: got it going after another jump start from car and wiping the spark plug with kitchen roll. It then stalled after a few minutes of running.
          Will replace the spark tomorrow and give it a long ride to it's MOT.
          My guess is as it had been sat for months the battery had let go a bit and my short test runs drained it. I guess I then flooded it trying to start it up and ruined the spark plug

Comment

Originally posted by andyturner87 View Post
            What is zundapp or bsa?
            BSA Motorcycles ( click link)

Zundapp motorcycles ( click link)

This is why we ask what bike you are working on and even ask to put it in your signature.
            Thanks for doing that.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X