1980 GS1000G - auto cancelling diagnostics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G - auto cancelling diagnostics

Searched the forums, thought I found most of the articles, found the wiring diagram, found several articles are using normal flasher and removing auto-cancelling ...

Here is my issues: Lights would not light, blinker relay would click when changing from left to right turn signal. Got a good 12 volts at the orange, jump to the green and if switch is on the left, left goes on, switch to the right right lights go on. I unplugged the control unit and plugged the blinker relay back in and everything works with the obvious exception of auto cancelling feature. Does this mean the auto cancelling unit is bad? or are there other diagnosis I can do. Good news is I'm back on the road as it works like the rest of my bikes, manual off. But would like to enable this.

First thing: you still have the stock flasher unit?

It's a unique item, can not find a replacement anywhere else.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the auto cancel unit is bad. It shouldn't be too hard to find one since a lot of different GS's came with one.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No I do not have the original flasher unit as it was lost in the fire. I have a used replacement from a 1980 GS1000G, the writing on the side of the used unit has too much missing to confirm the part number. Based one of the articles I read - it said, if I had power and the lights lit I had a bad flasher unit. I order one from Partzilla. It is Suzuki part number 38610-49231. The new part did not help the issue. I have the old unit back in the box (and working short of the auto-cancelling). The control unit has written on the bottom SUZUKI 374-6. Also used from the same donor bike plus wiring harness ...

Hopefully you can see in the image that the fire from the previous owner left me looking for almost everything electrical for this bike.GS1000GFire.jpg

Comment

Well, as long as it's a proper Suzuki flasher, not something from Auto Zone, it should be good.

In that case, I would also suspect the auto-cancel unit. They are rugged, but not unbreakable.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The original Suzuki relay has three connections, the flasher works by the current through the relay energising the coil. This breaks the current to the lamps, a C / R network inside the OEM flasher holds the coil "on" for a second then the relay "relaxes" and current is restored to the lamps repeating the whole cycle again.
            The indicator cancel unit provides a current to the second coil holding the flash relay on which stops the lamps flashing, I am considering whether to design an all solid state flasher that responds to the control unit, this would permit LED lamps and would not effect flash rate.
            A further upgrade would be to construct a unit that replaced both parts!

Comment

Working...
            X