(Mostly) Successful GS1100E Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Mostly) Successful GS1100E Resurrection

For the first time in nearly twenty years, my 1982 champagne GS1100E was on the road again last week. After a pretty substantial teardown and rebuild (at one point pretty much the only thing left on the frame was the engine and gauges) and much cleaning, I took her on a shakedown run of about 100 miles on Sunday the 15th. Everything checked out so I declared her ready to be introduced to the world at the Dave Davis Memorial rally centered in Farmington, MO.

Pics and a report on how she did to follow, but first, the backstory.

My brother is the original owner. He bought the bike brand new in the fall of 1986. Yes, that bike sat on a showroom floor for almost five years, gathering dust. It was at a small town Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership, and most of the sales at that place were four wheelers, dirt bikes, and L/LTD street bikes.

He bought it primarily because I had recently purchased my GS700ES, my best friend Mike had a 1982 KZ1000J he bought from the same dealership in 1986 (same story on holdover models), and my brother was riding a Honda GL650 Silverwing. It wasn't a bad bike, but as for trying to keep up with Mike and me on backroads, fuggedaboudit. We gave him a lot of crap about riding his "Pokey Cruiserette". Eventually he'd had enough of it, and one day came home on the GS1100E. We couldn't run and hide from him anymore, so that pretty much put an end to the Pokey Cruserette jokes. He wasn't a real agressive rider by nature, but every once in a while he'd whack open the throttle and go ripping by us at 130 mph.

He rode it off an on for the next ten-twelve years or so, putting 14,000 miles on it. He preferred his Honda for commuting, due to the fairing and seating position, so he rode the big GS on weekends. It remained bone stock except for a set of M/C Enterprises case guards and a Lockhart oil cooler. In 1999, the bike stopped charging, the local dealer wouldn't work on it due to its age, so it got parked in my mom's garage with 14,060 miles on the clock. There it sat until 2015.

That year, I finally convinced him to let me take it home with me while I was visiting our mom during Thanksgiving. We rolled it out of her garage, dusted it off, and loaded it up in my truck. Here it is fresh out of Mom's garage (notice below it the remnants of the mouse's nest I dug out of the airbox):

The agreement was I would give him an estimate of what it would take to make it roadworthy again (plus a little something extra to me for the effort) and he'd decide if he wanted to invest in it to get it on the road, sell it to me for an as yet undetermined price, or let it sit and rot in my garage for perpetuity.

It sat in my garage for nearly four years, until this past August he finally decided that he'd send me the title. He didn't want to spend the money to fix it up. It would be mine, my price was the $1300ish and labor to make it roadworthy. But he would have first right of refusal if I ever wanted to sell it. Fair enough.

I worked furiously on this bike for two weeks. He had never washed it, not even once. The tach cable seal had started leaking at some time or other, covering the front of the bike in an oily dust. It was filthy. This pic was taken August 30th:

And this was taken September 2nd:

All she needed now were the brake lines I had ordered from a local shop, and a carb synchronization (I hoped). What looks like a tear in the "Suzuki" decal is simply a reflection of light from the shop light overhead. She shined up real nice.

Final completion was a week or so later. Everything checked out fine.

She performed admirably over this past weekend, amassing 742 miles in 2 1/2 days of spirited riding, with no mechanical or electrical issues. There was one thing that had to be addressed - a handlebar vibration that started at 5,000 rpm, and by 5,500 rpm was unbearable for any length of time for my left hand. By 7,000 rpm the buzz was bearable again, and completely gone at 7,500 rpm. Unfortunately, that buzz zone is right where all the fun is to be had on back roads in 3rd and 4th gear. I suffered through it the first day, but twenty minutes into the ride the second day, had to beg off and return to the motel to figure out what to do. Bummer, the day was partly cloudy and going to hit a high of about 80 F, perfect riding weather.

Once back at the hotel, I iced down my left hand (it was completely numb and my arm felt dead from the elbow down) and contemplated my options. The local powersports dealer didn't have any grips I could try (still was using the hard, ribbed OEM grips), so I decided there wasn't really much I could do to eliminate the buzz.

I went out by myself on what became the world's heaviest GS550E. I limited rpm to under 5,200, and it became a game for me to run curvy roads between 4,000 - 5,200 rpm, trying to maximize my speed. I ended up having a pretty good day, using roads with lots of 60 - 75 mph sweepers. I put in 185 miles that way, and didn't suffer any tingling or numbness at the end of the ride.

Here she is that day at the Pilot Knob Battle Memorial:

I'm going to do some more work on cosmetics (there are a few small details that need to be addressed here and there) then probably submit for B.O.M sometime soon.

As for the buzz, when I asked my brother about it, he said, "Now that you mention it, I do remember a vibration that came and went during high speed runs. I hardly ever rode it that fast for a sustained period of time, so it wasn't much of a deal."

This bike probably spent more time over 5,000 rpm the last 840 miles than it did during its first 14,000 miles.

So I ordered the softer, lower ribbed 1983-1986 style Suzuki grips, and fished out some GS1150E handlebar weights I had in a parts bin. Each one of these weights weighs 15.5 ozs, so I figured slinging a pound of lead on each bar end couldn't hurt. I powdercoated them last night, and installed them tonight. Turned into a bit more of a production than I had anticipated. When I removed the grips, I discovered that the ends of the bars had been filled at the factory with mild steel plugs, probably for (ineffective) vibration damping. I had to drill them out with a 3/4" drill bit to get the bar end inserts into the handlebars. Here are the before and after pics:

Before:

After:

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. If there's still some overly-annoying buzzing, I may try sync'ing the carbs again, but at 6,000 rpm instead of 4,000 rpm to see if that helps.

In any event, I'm glad she's (mostly) done, and now I can turn my attention to building my hybrid '82/'83 1100E parts-bin special into a fire-breathing street monster.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Last edited by Griffin; 09-27-2019, 11:28 PM.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

20 years! Wow! And I thought letting mine sit two and a half years was big. From what I can tell of the first pic, those mice weren't such bad tenants.

You worked fast, but it looks like you spent a lot more time on it. I'm curious about the hand vibes, though. Somethings got to be causing that. I have the spongy "Grab-Ons" now, but it came six years ago with rock-hard grips, and even then it had no problems, needed no weights.

Looks gorgeous. Besides the seat and shocks, everything else pretty original?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Very nice!

super cool backstory and nice resurrection. Looks like a really clean machine now.
      82 GS1100E
      01 cbr f4i
      13 ninja 300

Comment

Great looking bike!
        Griffin, thanks for sharing the history on it.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great ressurection story Bret, well worth the effort - envious of your workspace as well!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            20 years! Wow! And I thought letting mine sit two and a half years was big. From what I can tell of the first pic, those mice weren't such bad tenants.

You worked fast, but it looks like you spent a lot more time on it. I'm curious about the hand vibes, though. Somethings got to be causing that. I have the spongy "Grab-Ons" now, but it came six years ago with rock-hard grips, and even then it had no problems, needed no weights.

Looks gorgeous. Besides the seat and shocks, everything else pretty original?
            I figure I've got around 100 hours into it. I did pretty much nothing else for four days (Labor Day weekend and the Thursday before it) working on it, plus several evenings afterwards tweaking and tuning.

Here's what was done (besides all fluids)

Non-OEM parts installed
            530 chain/sprockets conversion
            RFY shocks (overhauled and rebuilt by Chris Livengood)
            Sonic fork springs
            SS front brake lines
            Corbin seat
            6 Sigma jet kit
            New K&N OEM-style air filter
            Rick's stator
            Honda Reg/Rec conversion (I know, I know, everyone loves the SH775, but I've done all my bikes with the Honda R/Rs, never had one failure with them, and I've still got half a dozen of them lying around)
            Shinko 712 tires
            Napa tire valve stems
            EBC semi-metallic (orange) brake pads
            Motobatt AGM battery
            NGK resistor caps
            Carb o-ring kit from Robert Barr

OEM parts installed

Speedo, tach, clutch, throttle, & choke cables
            Grips with bar end weights
            Tachometer cable seal
            Exhaust gaskets
            Airbox lid (he was running without one "to make it faster")
            Several bulbs in the gauge housing
            Valve cover gasket
            Clutch springs
            Oil filter
            Spark plugs
            Intake boots
            Fork seals
            Left side exhaust heat shield (he had removed it because the back bolt on it always came loose and caused it to buzz, nothing a little Locktite didn't fix)

And last but not least, hours upon hours of scrubbing and polishing.

Good project. What it illustrates is that even a "pristine" bike, put away with only one problem but stored (pretty well, I might add) for 20 years, will need a lot of work and parts to make roadworthy again.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
              Great ressurection story Bret, well worth the effort - envious of your workspace as well!
              Thanks. Yes, my garage is about the same size as the first house my wife and I bought together in 1995.

It's 34' wide by 30' deep. There is a 550 ft2 loft above the workspace for storage.

I couldn't do what I love to do without it.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                I figure I've got around 100 hours into it. I did pretty much nothing else for four days (Labor Day weekend and the Thursday before it) working on it, plus several evenings afterwards tweaking and tuning.

Here's what was done (besides all fluids)

Non-OEM parts installed
                530 chain/sprockets conversion
                RFY shocks (overhauled and rebuilt by Chris Livengood)
                Sonic fork springs
                SS front brake lines
                Corbin seat
                6 Sigma jet kit
                New K&N OEM-style air filter
                Rick's stator
                Honda Reg/Rec conversion (I know, I know, everyone loves the SH775, but I've done all my bikes with the Honda R/Rs, never had one failure with them, and I've still got half a dozen of them lying around)
                Shinko 712 tires
                Napa tire valve stems
                EBC semi-metallic (orange) brake pads
                Motobatt AGM battery
                NGK resistor caps
                Carb o-ring kit from Robert Barr

OEM parts installed

Speedo, tach, clutch, throttle, & choke cables
                Grips with bar end weights
                Tachometer cable seal
                Exhaust gaskets
                Airbox lid (he was running without one "to make it faster")
                Several bulbs in the gauge housing
                Valve cover gasket
                Clutch springs
                Oil filter
                Spark plugs
                Intake boots
                Fork seals
                Left side exhaust heat shield (he had removed it because the back bolt on it always came loose and caused it to buzz, nothing a little Locktite didn't fix)

And last but not least, hours upon hours of scrubbing and polishing.

Good project. What it illustrates is that even a "pristine" bike, put away with only one problem but stored (pretty well, I might add) for 20 years, will need a lot of work and parts to make roadworthy again.
                This could not be more true! Thanks for taking the time to post the cool story and amazing work you have done. It looks fantastic!
                Enjoy
                No signature

Comment

What it illustrates is that even a "pristine" bike, put away with only one problem but stored (pretty well, I might add) for 20 years, will need a lot of work and parts to make roadworthy again.
                  Yep. Ten years off the road for mine, but it totalled nearly a thousand quid to get it back into order again.
                  No such thing as a cheap old bike.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Nice work!
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Great story, beautiful job on its re commissioning. I love bikes that stay in the family.

I dont recall my 83 1100e being particularly buzzy.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Update on Vibration

So yesterday after re-sync'ing the carbs (turns out there was almost no difference in balance at 6,000 rpm as at 4,000 rpm, twiddled a bit with them anyway), I went for a ride with the new bar end weights.

Mucho, mucho mejor on the hands.

The vibes are still there, but now the mirrors only fuzz from about 5,500 rpm to 6,200 rpm, and it isn't debilitating at all. By 6,600 rpm all is smooth again. I rode 50 hard miles keeping the rpms as close to 6,000 rpm as I could for a test, and felt no numbness or fatigue. All good.

As for mileage, during our rally I was a little concerned about the gas mileage I was getting. Most tankfuls were 32 - 35 mpg. Now then, we were riding hard most of the time, with 6K-7K rpm riding in twisties and 80-85 mph sprints on straightaways. Also had a 70ish mile sustained run on a four laner going back to the hotel where my speedo rarely dropped below 80. But still, mileage that low (my big shafties regularly get 39 - 44 mpg, depending upon how they're being ridden) raised an eyebrow. I did install a jet kit, going up two sizes on the pilots, and two sizes on the outboard mains, three sizes on the inboards. Alhtough it seemed to make plenty of power and the exhaust didn't smell gassy, I thought maybe I was a bit rich.

I dug out some of my old motorcycle mags from back in the day, and found a couple of blurbs that eased my concerns a bit. From the April 1982 Cycle magazine test of the '82 GS1100E.

Mileage:

Ok, I'm right in line with what they were getting.

On vibration:

So I guess although I would define the vibration as more than just "very noticeable", it's still consistent with Cycle's testing of their bike.

All's well that ends well. I think I may take the bike on a sedate, 50-60 mph cruise through the countryside to see if I can get 40+ mpg on a tankful of gas.

Just to say I and the bike could do it.

Last edited by Griffin; 09-29-2019, 01:49 PM.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                          As for mileage, during our rally I was a little concerned about the gas mileage I was getting. Most tankfuls were 32 - 35 mpg. Now then, we were riding hard most of the time, with 6K-7K rpm riding in twisties and 80-85 mph sprints on straightaways. Also had a 70ish mile sustained run on a four laner going back to the hotel where my speedo rarely dropped below 80. But still, mileage that low (my big shafties regularly get 39 - 44 mpg, depending upon how they're being ridden) raised an eyebrow. I did install a jet kit, going up two sizes on the pilots, and two sizes on the outboard mains, three sizes on the inboards. Alhtough it seemed to make plenty of power and the exhaust didn't smell gassy, I thought maybe I was a bit rich.

If I read correctly, you have a stock bike, stock airbox (with K&N filter), stock exhaust. Correct so far?
                          I can understand going up one size on the mains to help compensate for what is being sold as "gasoline" today, but even with a built-up engine with pods and an open header, there is no need to increase the pilot jets.

The whole reason for increasing jet sizes is to compensate for increased airflow. If you remove the restriction of the stock airbox and install pods, you will need to go up several sizes. If you install a header, the number of sizes will depend on how loud the baffle is (noise is somewhat related to airflow). However, that is because you have removed the restrictions when the throttle is wide open. At anything less than 1/2 throttle (especially at idle), your throttle butterflies are your limiting factor, and nothing has changed. There should be no reason to increase the jet size, let alone two sizes.

Personally, I think you would have the best of all worlds by going back to stock pilots, adjusting the pilot ("mixture") screw accordingly, then raising the needle a bit to help the mid-range. You would still have your slightly-richer jetting for the top end, but would retain a leaner mixture for when you are just cruising.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If I read correctly, you have a stock bike, stock airbox (with K&N filter), stock exhaust. Correct so far?
                            I can understand going up one size on the mains to help compensate for what is being sold as "gasoline" today, but even with a built-up engine with pods and an open header, there is no need to increase the pilot jets.

The whole reason for increasing jet sizes is to compensate for increased airflow. If you remove the restriction of the stock airbox and install pods, you will need to go up several sizes. If you install a header, the number of sizes will depend on how loud the baffle is (noise is somewhat related to airflow). However, that is because you have removed the restrictions when the throttle is wide open. At anything less than 1/2 throttle (especially at idle), your throttle butterflies are your limiting factor, and nothing has changed. There should be no reason to increase the jet size, let alone two sizes.

Personally, I think you would have the best of all worlds by going back to stock pilots, adjusting the pilot ("mixture") screw accordingly, then raising the needle a bit to help the mid-range. You would still have your slightly-richer jetting for the top end, but would retain a leaner mixture for when you are just cruising.

Well, I also drilled out the hole in the slide a bit (using the drill bit included in the kit), shimmed the needles higher, and have an airbox with a lid but with no foam to seal it for a bit more airflow (the kit instructions suggested drilling a couple 1/4" holes in the lid, I didn't want to do that to an unobtanium airbox lid). I can hear whistling across the lid with the seat off when I blip the throttle.

Went on a leisurely ride today keeping rpms to no more than 4200 (65 mph in 5th gear) and trying not to whack the throttle open too hard. Mileage for the tank (went 149 miles to reserve) ended up being 39.6 mpg. Throttle was rarely more than 1/4 or so open, so was seeing what life not living on the mains was like. Plugs look good.

I'm happy.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Just an odd observation, but I used to get that same range of vibration in my ‘80 1100L. For the past 20 years of owning this bike, I never had mirrors over 72 or so no matter how I fiddled with the carbs.... and I fiddled with them quite a bit. This year I put a set of 1150 carbs on the bike and poof! The vibrations are gone. The bike has never felt so smooth.
                              Now I usually cruise between 4500 and 5k and the mirrors are still clear and never really blur out at any point above that....can’t say I’m looking at them when I’m winding through the gears though. And yes the mileage is the same atrocious 35 mpg, especially bad with the 3.5 gallon L tank.
                              -1980 GS1100 LT
                              -1975 Honda cb750K
                              -1972 Honda cl175
                              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                              X