Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G Handle bars

Hi All

Not sure if this is inthe right place to post, I do apologize if it is.

I have a USA imported motorcycle in the UK and I want to put lower handlebars on to it. I think some people have been referring to them as supersport bars.

If do put the lower bars on will I need to replace the clutch cable, throttle cable and upper front brake hose. I do find the higher bars really comfortable but I just can't get to grips of the look of them. If I could I would probable stick with them but I just can't. I think the bike looks more streamlined with the lower bars.

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2019, 09:21 AM.

Originally posted by Welshbiker View Post
    Hi All

I have a USA imported motorcycle in the UK and I want to put lower handlebars on to it. I think some people have been referring to them as supersport bars.

If do put the lower bars on will I need to replace the clutch cable, throttle cable and upper front brake hose. I do find the higher bars really comfortable but I just can't get to grips of the look of them. If I could I would probable stick with them but I just can't. I think the bike looks more streamlined with the lower bars.

Thanks

Mark
    You will have some excess cable, but as long as they don't catch on anything while turning lock to lock, you'll be ok. It will depend on what bars you get though. Even when you go to bar with a shorter rise, they may actually be wider and will take some of the excess. The biggest problem with changing bars is going the other direction from lower to higher which in turn leaves you with cables and wires too short.

You may want to consider Renthal bars. They are made initially for off road bikes, but they have become popular with custon bikes such as brats and scramblers. Here is their vintage line which is chromed. https://www.renthal.com/moto/7-8-han...s/vintage-bars
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Most of the US market bikes were sold in Europe with lower bars.
      Easy enough to find the proper OE bars in a breaker.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I've swapped to lower bars on every GS I've had and haven't needed to shorten cables. I will warn you if you're considering clubman bars though. I tried them and found they were intolerably uncomfortable for more than a 15 minute ride a round the block. I settled on Grand Prix bars as being the most comfortable and lower choice.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

On my 650G, I changed to lower bars (superbike bar), and I didn't change the throttle cable nor brake lines.

I found the clutch cable routing to be a problem and went with a shorter cable, off a GS1000S in fact. It fits the shorter bars great, but is just a smidge too short at the engine mount and doesn't offer up as much adjustment or throw as I'd like. I've another stock cable sitting on the shelf waiting to go back on as an experiment to see if the clutch adjustment issues are caused by the shorter cable.

The brake lines bulge out a bit at the handlebar, but it isn't ungainly.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for all the advice on swapping the bars. It's good knowing that I won't have the added expense of replacing cables and brake lines. I won't be going to clubman bars, I have a bad back and I know they will not help me. The more flat with a slight rise will be perfect for me.

Thanks again

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X