Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Use Hydraulic Lift on GS?

Howdy folks
    I own a 1979 GS850G that no longer has a center stand. I've been thinking about getting one of these hydraulic lift jacks, but I'm curious how it will work? I'm under the impression using wooden blocks is a possibility. Surely there must be a way to use these things on our GS's?

Last edited by RustyTank; 04-30-2020, 11:48 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Ha,ha...those things. if you do want one, buy it off craigslist- there's always one or two for sale. NOT near as good as the centrestand...

I've had two of them given to me. They can be used. Maybe, more useful on much smaller motorcycles.Though they will lift a heavier bike..On your pipes is probably ok, but personally, I didn't like it and I built blocks to lift a particular bike on more points...and even then:

..you will want to strap the bike to them...it's kind of "teetery" and insecure if you are wrestling with a rear wheel or whatever...
    Really, I'd go looking for something else or MAKE some kind of centrestand ...maybe involve a screw-jack (ie: from a car's spare tire kit) where the centrestand should be..
    I took one apart just for the bottle jack. The remaining one, I keep around. It has to be useful for something but I haven't really discovered what yet...a motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Ha,ha...those things. if you do want one, buy it off craigslist- there's always one or two for sale. NOT near as good as the centrestand...

I've had two of them given to me. They can be used. Maybe, more useful on much smaller motorcycles.Though they will lift a heavier bike..On your pipes is probably ok, but personally, I didn't like it and I built blocks to lift a particular bike on more points...and even then:

..you will want to strap the bike to them...it's kind of "teetery" and insecure if you are wrestling with a rear wheel or whatever...
      Really, I'd go looking for something else or MAKE some kind of centrestand ...maybe involve a screw-jack (ie: from a car's spare tire kit) where the centrestand should be..
      I took one apart just for the bottle jack. The remaining one, I keep around. It has to be useful for something but I haven't really discovered what yet...a motor?

I understand what your sayin Gorminrider. Thanks for your feedback.
      Ryan

Comment

I've got one of these:

Victory Vision Tour 2008 2016. Mash X-Ride 650 2021 2022. Mash X-Ride 125 2022 2022. Mash TwoFifty 2015 2022. Mash Sixhundred Classic 650 2022 2022. Mash Seventy-Five 2016 2018. Mash Seventy 125 2020 2022.

Works well. Handy when there's no centre stand and where the point of balance is against you when changing a wheel.

Plenty around cheap secondhand.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

^^^yes, indeed. I've come to prefer "screwjacks" over having the cheapo hydraulics slowly collapsing as I work. Hydraulics are ok for a quickie...

an added note: those hydraulic bike lifts are incredibly bulky too. They can't be fit into many places. AND the tiny wheels are too small to roll the loaded jack over any roughness.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
            Howdy folks
            I own a 1979 GS850G that no longer has a center stand. I've been thinking about getting one of these hydraulic lift jacks, but I'm curious if that will work? The bikes weight would be on the pipes on the bottom of the bike. Is that ok? Should I use blocks under the oil pan? Surely there must be a way to use these things on our GS's?

Those only work well on Harleys and other cruisers that have lower frame rails that will rest on the lift pads.
            You'd be much better off just buying a centerstand. Shouldn't be too hard to find one, either here or on ebay.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Those only work well on Harleys and other cruisers that have lower frame rails that will rest on the lift pads.
              You'd be much better off just buying a centerstand. Shouldn't be too hard to find one, either here or on ebay.
              I hear ya Rich. I've made some changes to the exhaust on my GS and the center stand wouldn't close/fold shut all the way once change was made so I took it off, looking for alternatives.
              Thanks for your reply
              Last edited by RustyTank; 04-30-2020, 10:08 AM.
              Ryan

Comment

I got one of those with my ZRX, as the ZRX's don't have center stands, (real pain in the butt). It works but I really don't like it, not near as stable as the center stands & don't like lifting on the pipes. Many of the GS's have 4 into 1 pipes installed that requires removal of the center stand. Many times you can keep the center stand & when needing to lift the rear of the bike, just stick the stand on temporarily with the 2 mounting bolts just hand tight, no springs needed. when finished remove the 2 bolts & stand till needed next time.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  I got one of those with my ZRX, as the ZRX's don't have center stands, (real pain in the butt). It works but I really don't like it, not near as stable as the center stands & don't like lifting on the pipes. Many of the GS's have 4 into 1 pipes installed that requires removal of the center stand. Many times you can keep the center stand & when needing to lift the rear of the bike, just stick the stand on temporarily with the 2 mounting bolts just hand tight, no springs needed. when finished remove the 2 bolts & stand till needed next time.
                  Oh that's a good idea. I still have the center stand, maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks rphillips
                  Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    ...don't like lifting on the pipes.
                    Lifting the entire bike on the exhaust pipes?!? No way, Jose.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Yeah Rob, I thought it seemed like a terrible idea. Just checkin

Thanks for your help man
                      Ryan

Comment

That 850 is no lightweight!
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I use a 1 ton chain hoist, pretty inexpensive at Harbor Freight. Great way to hoist frame off engine (the easy way!), lift either end to remove wheels etc. Just need some straps, be careful what you attach to on the bike, and hang from the rafters. My friend lent me his Craftsman hydraulic bike stand and although there's the advantage of being able to move it around, I found it heavy, clumsy, and I never really trusted balancing the whole bike on it. The hoist is better for my needs as it can do much more. I use a small jack and block of wood under the engine to stabilize, if needed.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            I used to have one of those. Then I realized that I was lifting the entire weight of the bike on the exhaust pipes.

Yeah, the pipes might handle it, but then you realize that there is just one bolt at the back that holds the pipes to the frame, and a few small bolts that hold the pipes into the cylinder head.

If you could mount an adapter that would let the jack lift on the frame rails, do it.
                            As others have said, be sure to tie the bike to the jack for stability.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Those screw jack are a good idea, not seen one of those before. I'll sometimes use a swing arm stand & a ratchet strap as a winch at the front... Need a better setup though!

When I had a Yoshi pipe that needed removing for the oil change I used to shove the centrestand back on with the bolts inserted by hand. Worked great
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X