Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a summer weather mesh riding jacket

Hey guys and gals,

I've got an all weather riding jacket that I've been happy with for the last three years. Overall I like it a lot, it has good armor and many zippered vents, along with a removable insulation liner. However, it's really only comfortable up to 75 degrees, and even that's pushing it when I get stuck in traffic.

So I'm looking for a mesh armored warm weather jacket for riding. MI summers aren't the hottest, but sometimes we get 90 degree weather and I'd really like to ride on those days but usually don't because of my jacket. My budget is around $150 or less if at all possible, but I would still like to hear what you have regardless of price. Any good recommendations?

I did come across one last year that I wanted to buy and had really good reviews, but I didn't save the brand and name of the jacket so I have no idea what it was.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Shop RevZilla for your Sedici Alexi 2 Mesh Jacket today! Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guaranteed & Top of the Line Expert Service.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Looking for one as well. Funnily enough I just got an email from Cycle Gear on a sale on mesh jackets. When I’m near the store in Allentown I’ve had good luck finding a nice pair of riding boots and gloves on clearance sale. If you have a store near you, stop in. They usually have clearance racks with last year’s models of lots of stuff at good prices.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

What did you say Rich?, tell us one more time.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

ha ha. Just noticed. Not sure why it did that. I'm trying to delete one, it won't seem to let me. Oh, by the way, Cycle Gear is having a sale on Mesh Jackets! Not sure if anybody heard.

Edit: Double post deleted
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I really like my Joe Rocket Alter Ego - a three in one jacket. The outer shell is on from late October until April when I take it off to leave the mesh inner jacket (has the armor in it). It also has the liner for the colder months.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I really like my Joe Rocket Alter Ego - a three in one jacket. The outer shell is on from late October until April when I take it off to leave the mesh inner jacket (has the armor in it). It also has the liner for the colder months.
              Man, I wish I had I known about this jacket before I bought my current one. I paid about the same.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I picked up an Olympia similar to this, from this seller. Supposedly it had a faulty snap on the back elastic adjustment, but when it arrived, it was just fine. I bought mine in late autumn when prices were even lower -- think I paid about $60 shipped for what turned out to be a brand new Olympia. I've scrutinized this jacket and I've found nothing even remotely wrong with it.

I had researched these to death and this was exactly what I was after -- and almost paid full price a few times. I just love this jacket now that riding season is underway.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Always the best place to a jacket at a reasonable price
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Olympia is the bargain of the better quality gear. Anything is better than nothing but try to pick Nylon rather than Polyester mixes at a minimum.

Cordura fabrics are good.

i also like the Rev-it gear.

I wear a Motoport or Cycleport kevlar mesh. They are pricey but work well and last forever.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      I picked up an Olympia similar to this, from this seller. Supposedly it had a faulty snap on the back elastic adjustment, but when it arrived, it was just fine. I bought mine in late autumn when prices were even lower -- think I paid about $60 shipped for what turned out to be a brand new Olympia. I've scrutinized this jacket and I've found nothing even remotely wrong with it.

I had researched these to death and this was exactly what I was after -- and almost paid full price a few times. I just love this jacket now that riding season is underway.
                      Thanks! I'll keep an eye on this seller.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                      https://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Always the best place to a jacket at a reasonable price
                      Thanks for the link. I'll look through there jackets as well.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Olympia is the bargain of the better quality gear. Anything is better than nothing but try to pick Nylon rather than Polyester mixes at a minimum.

Cordura fabrics are good.

i also like the Rev-it gear.

I wear a Motoport or Cycleport kevlar mesh. They are pricey but work well and last forever.
                      Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Bought my TourMaster 3.0 4 years ago. Still going strong. I do need to upgrade the back armor though. Down here in my area it's about all I need all year round. I put the warm liner in it with a long sleeve heavy cotton shirt and I'm very toasty when it turns cold...yeah it can get cold here lol. brrrr 20 degrees now and then.
                        Last edited by mrbill5491; 06-12-2020, 05:56 PM.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Bought my TourMaster 3.0 4 years ago. Still going strong. I do need to upgrade the back armor though. Down here in my area it's about all I need all year round. I put the warm liner in it with a long sleeve heavy cotton shirt and I'm very toasty when it turns cold...yeah it can get cold here lol. brrrr 20 degrees now and then.
                          The classic leather jacket & accessories I bought from you were very effective during those cold rides, MrBill.

I have a JOE ROCKET Veloctzy jacket I paid $100 for in 2016...very similar to the SPEED & STRENGTH jacket I paid $125 in 2011.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-12-2020, 10:04 PM.
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ditto on Tourmaster here. I've had mine for several years and, apart from the cuffs fading from black to an ugly grayish color, it's held up very well. Came with a quilted liner for cold weather and a rain/windbreaker liner. With both liners in, I stay nice and warm down into the 30's (F). Without any liners it's perfect in hot weather.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Klim gear is on sale at the moment. Their material choices are certainly a step above the lower end of the market.

I spoke at length with a gear designer a few years back. What he told me was that for a crash bigger than a tipover what you were hoping for with the cheaper polyester gear is that it would stay in piece long enough to hold the armor in place & the armor was what would give all the protection.

He showed me a few samples of crashed gear too. It was pretty interesting. He had the exact pair of Olympia pants I turned up in from a 30mph slide with the side zips blown completely open. The knee had taken the brunt of it though & the cordura (special weave nylon) had mostly held up & kept the armor in place behind it.

He was the guy who told me that in the industry Nylon was seen as an absolute minimum but that because the price point was higher it was generally seen that they offered cheaper gear as it was better than nothing...
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X