Gas Cap Tear Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Cap Tear Down

Per the suggestion of a fellow member I decided to tear into my gas cap because I was having issues with the bike stalling out and the cap hissing after it was shut down. I took it apart and it looked like it was pulled from the bottom of a lake. I cleaned it up, filled the tank and rode for about 20 miles this evening without any problems (knock on wood). It's a really easy process to disassemble and clean.

I have plenty of pictures but for some reason the site won't let me upload them. Says only one picture is allowed. So...if you want pictures you'll have to let me know and I can send them to you. Or we can find another way to post them.

The basic process is as follows:

Step 1: Remove the two screws on the bottom of the cap and pull it off.

Step 2: Remove the two screws that hold the big check ball in place.

Step 3: Remove the cap covering the big check ball being careful not to drop the bucket and ball under it. Set it aside.

Step 4: Remove the plate that houses the smaller check ball. Again, be careful not to drop the ball. This one is smaller, about the size of a BB.

Step 5: At this point you can use whatever cleaning method you prefer. I used brake cleaner and a q-tip to get into the nooks and crannies on the cap. I used fine steel wool and a small wire brush attachment on a Dremel to clean the brass base that covers the small ball and the rest of the internals. Be careful not to damage the rubber seal on the plate!

Step 6: After you get the internals of the check valve system clean you can move to the cap that you removed in step 1. This houses the latches for the gas cap. There are two small screws that hold it on place. I didn't have the nerve to pry the latch mechanism out for being afraid of breaking the plastic. If you want to remove it you'll need to remove the two small screws, retract the latches fully and then pry it out (somehow). I just cleaned it as best I could with q-tips, a toothbrush and some brake cleaner. I also dabbed a little lube on the latches to help them out.

Installation is just the reversal of disassembly.

Step 1. Place the small ball in the recessed area it came from and put the brass plate over it with the rubber seal facing upwards.

Step 2. Put the big ball in the brass cup and then put that inside the plastic housing it came out of. The ball should be able to roll around if you shake it.

Step 3. Carefully place the plastic housing with the big ball over the brass plate and tighten.

Step 4. If you disassembled the latch mechanism you'll need to obviously put that back together prior to putting the base back on.

After everything is assembled it should sound like a baby rattle when you shake the gas cap. I hope this helps future owners in cleaning something simple that can cause complicated problems. Again, if I can get pictures to post I will be more than happy to post them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nutz4spd; 07-10-2020, 10:28 PM.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Yes, one picture per post is the forum’s setup. However, if you open a Flickr or Imgur account for free, then you can upload ten pictures per post.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Yes, one picture per post is the forum’s setup. However, if you open a Flickr or Imgur account for free, then you can upload ten pictures per post.
      One picture per post does not make a lot of sense. Even using Flickr it's only one picture per post. All well...I have them saved if anyone wants them.
      Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
      2017 Indian Scout
      2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Originally posted by nutz4spd View Post
        One picture per post does not make a lot of sense. Even using Flickr it's only one picture per post. All well...I have them saved if anyone wants them.
        Than you're doing something wrong.....

With Flickr you can do up to ten photos....

Triumph TT600 by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Ready to Go by R John Thieda, on Flickr

GS1100E by R John Thieda, on Flickr
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Actually it does make sense since the server won't have the kind of storage required to host as many pictures as we put up here. And Bob's right, paste the bbcode from flickr and you'll get as many as you want up to ten pictures
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just curious.... You mentioned you were stalling out due to this? My bike has this issue and I just noticed a hiss from my tank after my last stall. The gasket around my cap is bad though... So I assumed it was that. Do you know the reason as to why it hisses or why this causes a stall? And do you or anyone else happen to know where to get a spare gas cap gasket? Thanks for the post!
            - 1981 Suzuki GS1000GL - Bike Name: からす/Ka-ra-su (Raven)

Comment

Working...
            X