Bike advice Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomo View Post
    They have those in California too, flashing red lights. I thought I had read up on all the signals and signs etc, but last year driving through a little town just south of Bakersfield came across a crossroad with flashing red lights. Confused me, so I slowed down, checked nothing coming from either side and carried on through. At the hotel that evening, googled it and found out you have to stop, so then was worried in case there were any cameras at the junction and whether I would be in the s..t when we dropped the car back at the hire place !.
    Such intersections may be obsolete now, but I can remember red lights when for miles in every direction not another vehicle or person was in sight. After a few seconds of waiting, I'd think, "What am I, stupid, a part of the machine?" Then I'd just go. Of course today, "Smile, you're on Candid Camera."
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Then there is the school of thought that goes, fresh Red means accelerate or you'll get rear ended, fresh Green means STOP or you'll get hit by the guys taking the earlier advice.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Then there is the school of thought that goes, fresh Red means accelerate or you'll get rear ended, fresh Green means STOP or you'll get hit by the guys taking the earlier advice.
        A couple of years ago I accelerated my cage to run a fresh red (after checking it was 'safe' to do so). I accompanied with a slight toot of the horn. After an unmarked car's officer checked my papers, he asked why I hit the horn. I said something to the effect of, 'a little extra safety.'

"You shouldn't do that," he said. "I wouldn't have noticed you."

Almost reminds me of the time an officer instructed me to start the car, put it in gear and leave, right after I had shown him the open Tall Boy between my legs. "Get out of here," he said.

Go figure. (No ticket either time.)
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not every cop comes down with the hammer every time. The better ones know when, like their fourth time noticing you this month.
          I rolled up to a stale red splitting the outer two of three lanes, rolling on the power just as I hit the line planning to get and stay 100m ahead of the cages.
          Just as I crossed the line on green accelerating hard I saw a police bike on the inside lane.
          Pulling up alongside he asked,what are you doing back there?
          I flipped the visor and said, have to get away from cages, they're all mad *&@"%&@!
          He nodded and we carried on side by side for a mile or so chatting about this and that, then he saluted and peeled off.
          The three lines of cages behind didn't come next or near me for the next four miles as I stayed at the 30mph speed limit in the middle of the middle lane.
          I suppose it helps if your bike is the same colour as the cops and are in black with a white Sam Browne and helmet
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Such intersections may be obsolete now, but I can remember red lights when for miles in every direction not another vehicle or person was in sight. After a few seconds of waiting, I'd think, "What am I, stupid, a part of the machine?" Then I'd just go. Of course today, "Smile, you're on Candid Camera."
            Well, common sense applies. I've been in the middle of the flat prairie, stopped, looking up and down the track 10 miles....not quite the same as a serious rail-crossing where the reds are flashing, the bell is ringing, and the gates are down...(and yet people get hit by trains about once a year...)

Or a school-bus. Red lights flash, you stop! Nobody wants a kid crying and bleeding under the wheels...and yet, people regularly go round...

Comment

Working...
            X